How did HDDs regressed that much?

ChuckMaurice

After using SSDs for a while (since 2013 IIRC), I encountered "classic HDDs" brand new laptops recently and was horrified about how long they took to perform basic tasks. I'm not even talking about boot times: OS and every program launch was slow as hell, on multiple laptops. And maybe I'm biased but I'm not sure it was THAT slow before SSDs.

How did hard drives regressed that much in terms of performance? Is it because of the now standard 5400RPM? (why this limit then?). Did Microsoft changed something in Windows to make it slower on HDDs? Is it a sales tactics to make us upgrade to SSDs? I'm at the point where I can't imagine how people are using computers with HDDs and don't throw the damn thing out of the window.

[Insert smart comment here]

I believe you are just used to the fast speed of SSDs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Actually, it was like that all the time. And yes, it's slow because of 5400 rpm. And it's nothing about microsoft :D In fact, win 8 and higher boots quite fast.

That's why many people tend to replace stock laptop hdd with ssd today.

A lot of times laptops come with a lot of bloatware (especially if you're HP, ugh) and that slows down all my laptops. A clean install of Windows on a mechanical drive usually makes a computer super fast again. And you're also used to using SSDs (they have spoiled me, and I only have 1!), so there is some bias coming from that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

A lot of times laptops come with a lot of bloatware (especially if you're HP, ugh) and that slows down all my laptops. A clean install of Windows on a mechanical drive usually makes a computer super fast again. And you're also used to using SSDs (they have spoiled me, and I only have 1!), so there is some bias coming from that. 

I mean, I know I've been using SSDs since they have good value (2013), and before I was mostly using Linux and MacOS, but was it really THAT slow before? At the point where even launching the browser can take 20+ seconds on a new laptop? 

Manufacturers should be ashamed to ship computers with bloatwares and mechanical HDDs at this point.

Just now, jldjul said:

I mean, I know I've been using SSDs since they have good value (2013), and before I was mostly using Linux and MacOS, but was it really THAT slow before? At the point where even launching the browser can take 20+ seconds on a new laptop? 

Manufacturers should be ashamed to ship computers with bloatwares and mechanical HDDs at this point.

It's always been that way. One of the first things I did on my brand new HP Envy (Core i5 5200U, 8GB DDR3) is reinstall Windows. The original installation was so slow that I couldn't even launch Chrome, let alone do anything productive. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

21 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

true, super clean, fresh, and empty windows 10 will boot fairly fast from mechanical drives, but we are all used to PC's turning on like a lightswitch since SSD's became affordable. 

7200rpm drives are about as low as i will go before getting irritated and throwing laptops at walls. 

im sure you all have a friend that has kept his 15 year old craptop and updated it all the way to 10, and sits there for 20 minutes watching it boot from an IDE rust spinner.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

22 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Did Microsoft changed something in Windows to make it slower on HDDs?

The short answer is these drives are slow because they have physical moving parts. Windows is slow on them because Windows needs program instructions and data pulled off the slow drive. The only intention behind using old slow technology is its cheap price.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, DnFx91 said:

true, super clean, fresh, and empty windows 10 will boot fairly fast from mechanical drives, but we are all used to PC's turning on like a lightswitch since SSD's became affordable. 

7200rpm drives are about as low as i will go before getting irritated and throwing laptops at walls. 

im sure you all have a friend that has kept his 15 year old craptop and updated it all the way to 10, and sits there for 20 minutes watching it boot from an IDE rust spinner.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were all very fast on mechanical drives to me, and that's going back to the Core Duo days. When I can, I use SSDs (although I only have one, and it's currently in my main laptop-school machine) but HDDs aren't too bad. They're tolerable, as long as you don't load them up with a lot of programs and other shit sitting on the drive not being used. So as long as you take care of the Windows install, mechanical hard drives are fine. 

19 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were all very fast on mechanical drives to me, and that's going back to the Core Duo days. When I can, I use SSDs (although I only have one, and it's currently in my main laptop-school machine) but HDDs aren't too bad. They're tolerable, as long as you don't load them up with a lot of programs and other shit sitting on the drive not being used. So as long as you take care of the Windows install, mechanical hard drives are fine. 

I realized that one of the things that bothered me the most is that Windows performance on HDD quickly gets worse over time: it's ok at first, but after 10-15 min of heavy use (like I became used to with SSDs) it becomes slow as hell. Cache management ?

The keyword here are

Laptop

HDD
Heavy use

Seriously what you expect?

High performance on 4200RPM hardrive?

11 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The keyword here are

Laptop

HDD
Heavy use

Seriously what you expect?

High performance on 4200RPM hardrive?

I expected performance at the level I was used to 10 years ago, when SSDs weren't a thing. When I say "heavy use" it's a bit strong, understand "lot of file modifications, launching apps, installing programs..."

Just now, jldjul said:

I expected performance at the level I was used to 10 years ago, when SSDs weren't a thing. When I say "heavy use" it's a bit strong, understand "lot of file modifications, launching apps, installing programs..."

The issue is, you already know how the differences between faster & slower so ofcourse it'll be biased.

Harddrive is the least hardware that ever change (if anything) don't change a lot in decades.

It was slow

it will always be slow

the problem back then

1. There's no other option or

2. The option was too expensive.

We are talking about 2.5inch HDD, not regular 3.5
You can strip the hardrive and put it in your desktop, I would say the whole experience would be similar like the laptop for general usage.

2.5inch drive is slow, not only that it also had very low cache (the highest I know only goes up to 16MB on 2TB drive)

If laptop could handle 3.5inch hdd, I bet it would ran just fine as regular desktop.