What do you think of Haskell?

What do you guys think of the Haskell programming language? I have started it and it's challenging and the level of abstraction is just brilliant. Skills that I have mastered in Haskell such as recursion have also started showing up in my other languages. What do you guys think of Haskell? I have not met one person who actually likes it. It would be interesting to see your opinions.

There's announcement to use code tag in Programming section

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Fixed.

4 minutes ago, Shadowsenses said:

Fixed.

About your thread, I think my dad can teach me this but he's far from me.

Is it available on mobile?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

About your thread, I think my dad can teach me this but he's far from me.

Is it available on mobile?

If you mean this forum post, you should just be able to send anyone the link.

If you're referring to Haskell. Well, Haskell is a programming language so I guess technically any programming language is available anywhere. I know of a few iOS compilers out there, but they're all dependent on the internet. 

I tried to get into it. When you need to be "mathy" it seems like such a good choise, I also avoid OOP when possible (When i see program with 30 classes and all of them are used once by creating one instance i puke inside) so the fact it's functional got me interested even more.

Never needed to use it (never did anything when i felt that it would be faster in haskell instead of c++ for me) so i never got good at coding in Haskell but i love the idea and it's elegance in some codegolfing etc.

I took a class that taught it. It was quite interesting the way you set up the parameters and the results of the function.

I really liked the way it makes you think about recursive functions. However, I must say, since I took the class I haven't really used the language for anything.

I would recommend to study it since it actually helps with understanding concepts and algorithms

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Functional programming languages like Haskell are highly overrated. I guess the hipster factor is what keeps them alive.

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I think you misunderstood the announcement, what they mean is that you should put your actual code in a code section (by clicking the <> button) instead of plain text.

bad:

function sayHello(name) {

console.log(`Hello ${name}!`);

}

good:

}

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

I think you misunderstood the announcement, what they mean is that you should put your actual code in a code section (by clicking the <> button) instead of plain text.

bad:

}

good:

}

I need to learn more about this lol

Wait where's the OP? I just followed him

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

@mikat Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. There seems to be a bug with the tags. When I try to remove the tag I get the "All values must be shorter than 25 characters long." error. 

4 minutes ago, Shadowsenses said:

@mikat Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. There seems to be a bug with the tags. When I try to remove the tag I get the "All values must be shorter than 25 characters long." error. 

If you're having problems with the forum, pm @colonel_mortis

If you're having problems with the forum, pm @colonel_mortis

About that guy, what's the benefit of Floatplane access?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, mikat said:

Well you seem to very negative towards every topic I've seen you post on, and your signature consists of 'Write in C."

I also argued for a number of various languages, not just C.

See here: 

Write in C.

6 minutes ago, mikat said:

Early access is the main feature at the moment, you get most content 1 week early (time sensitive videos excluded)

Interesting, but i am wondering to reach Gold Contributor

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Interesting, but i am wondering to reach Gold Contributor

Spoiler

About Gold Contributor

The "Gold Contributor" forum membership is $25/month or $250/year and grants the following privileges:

- Access to the Gold, Silver, and Bronze sub-forums (we may post in there from time to time, but there probably won't be anything super exclusive)
- no banner advertisements on the forum
- Gold Contributor user group to reflect contribution level
- Username text colour to reflect contribution level
- Gold-tier discounted prices on other items in the Linus Tech Tips store
- ** placeholder for potential future benefits **

- Membership to the Floatplane Club with early access to Linus Media Group videos

You may have noticed that these "perks" won't affect things very much. This is intentional. We want everyone to enjoy our content and have a great experience on our website.

Whether you're short on cash (student or whatever else) or you just plain don't feel like giving us your hard-earned money, don't worry about it. There are other ways of helping us out that don't cost you anything, such as using our affiliate codes with participating retailers.

If, on the other hand, you want to buy us lunch once a month, then that's awesome! Every dollar that gets contributed to Linus Media Group Inc. helps pay the salaries of the people who work here, helps us acquire the equipment we need, and helps us continue to make more content. Thank you so much for helping make what we do possible!

Linus & Team

Reveal hidden contents

No wonder they can buy Ryzen 5 1600 in every 10 people buying gold contributor

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

No wonder they can buy Ryzen 5 1600 in every 10 people buying gold contributor

You don't have to contribute, it's your choice, and this thread kinda got derailed, if you have any other questions about gold contributor things, create a new topic :) 

There are some things about Haskell which somewhat annoy me but I'm still learning it atm so I don't really have too much to say about it.

I think that's it is a complete waste of time to learn.  It's an obscure low-level language that won't give you any practical benefit over learning something like Assembler.  I took a programming concepts class as an independent study at the end of my degree and the instructor decided it would be a great idea to use Haskell, making me a "guinea pig" for whether it may be useful to teach in a class...

Spoiler: it wasn't.

Even the usefulness of Assembler is very limited, unless you intend to go into embedded programming or game engine programming it is pretty unlikely you'll ever need to use Assembler for anything and the odds of actually needing Haskell are about the same as winning the lottery (the Jackpot, not a small prize).