PC Case Fans

ArkKing

Ok I built first pc build. I just updated bios and when I did I rebooted system but my pc fans HAVE LEDS AND DONT LIGHT ALL THE WAY UP IS IT CAUSE LACK OF POWER?

this issue also occurred before if I have all three pc fans plugged in one seems to be dimmer and wont light up all brightly.

please note all fans function just not when all three are plugged in. I took off one fan and the other two lit up fine even though one seem to be a bit off.

Fan headers do have an amperage limitation on them, and it varies by motherboard.  It's entirely possible you're hitting or exceeding that limit.  Check your manual/specs sheet to see if it states how much amperage each header supplies.  Look at the fan labeling as well to see how much amperage each fan draws (or online, if the label doesn't include that statistic).

21 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Fan headers do have an amperage limitation on them, and it varies by motherboard.  It's entirely possible you're hitting or exceeding that limit.  Check your manual/specs sheet to see if it states how much amperage each header supplies.  Look at the fan labeling as well to see how much amperage each fan draws (or online, if the label doesn't include that statistic).

So get a bigger psu?

4 minutes ago, Samuel Jones said:

So get a bigger psu?

A bigger PSU would not affect how much amperage your fan headers are limited to.  Try running one or more of the fans off a different header, or get a SATA power to fan adapter and see if all your fans run as expected.

Really my advice is mostly dependent on whether or not you have your fans plugged into motherboard headers or some other method.

3 minutes ago, Samuel Jones said:

So get a bigger psu?

no, a "bigger" psu probably won't fit. If you mean one that has more wattage, that won't help either. It is a motherboard power limit

Usually, the LED headers plug into a different socket on the board than the fan motor's header.  Have you plugged that in?

5 minutes ago, Samuel Jones said:

So get a bigger psu?

No, fans use hardly any power in the grand scheme of things.

If it is that, then get a new motherboard.  Fans use a minuscule fraction of the power used by let's say, your Graphics Card.

Are you using 3pin or 4pin fans?

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

2 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

No, fans use hardly any power in the grand scheme of things.

Nevermind the LEDs, those aren't even low power moving parts, they probably use like a closer to a ten-thousanth of the PCs power.

8 hours ago, pelark said:

Are you using 3pin or 4pin fans?

3 pin

8 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

A bigger PSU would not affect how much amperage your fan headers are limited to.  Try running one or more of the fans off a different header, or get a SATA power to fan adapter and see if all your fans run as expected.

Really my advice is mostly dependent on whether or not you have your fans plugged into motherboard headers or some other method.

My mobo is msi mortar b350m/ryzen 5 1600 and I have 3 asiahorse 120mm fans

27 minutes ago, Samuel Jones said:

3 pin

3pin fans will dim the lights as you turn down the fan speed. Have you tried turning up the fan speed?

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

2 hours ago, pelark said:

3pin fans will dim the lights as you turn down the fan speed. Have you tried turning up the fan speed?

How?

33 minutes ago, Samuel Jones said:

How?

What motherboard do you have? If you don't have a fan controller you have to use software.

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

6 hours ago, pelark said:

What motherboard do you have? If you don't have a fan controller you have to use software.

Msi mortar arctic b350m

5 hours ago, Samuel Jones said:

Msi mortar arctic b350m

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK-ARCTIC.html#down-utility&Win10 64

I take it you have windows 10?

A bit further down on the page you can find a utility called Command Center, download that. AFAIK, that's MSI's software for controlling fans and stuff.

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8