Unknown USB Device (Link In Compliance Mode) - Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a self-built desktop, and nearly every time I log in, I get a "The Last USB device you plugged in experienced an error".  It's very annoying.

I'm certain this stems from an Unknown USB device in my device manager.  To be specific, it says "Unknown USB Device (Link In Compliance Mode)".  I know that in normal situations, you'd simply unplug and re-plug whatever device was having the issue.  Problem is, I can't figure out what device this is referring to!  I've unplugged everything, one device at a time, to see if that listing removed itself.  Nothing.  I even made sure to test with the devices using internal USB headers for case USB ports, media card reader, etc.  I can remove ALL my USB devices, and that device listing is still there.  I'm guessing it's some sort of integrated motherboard USB device.

My bios and all my device drivers, including USB drivers are up to date.

The properties for this entry in the device manager says the following:

----------

Unknown USB Device (Link In Compliance Mode)

Device Type: Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

Device Status:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The SuperSpeed link to the USB device keeps going to an error state Compliance. If the device is removable, remove the device and then disable/enable from device manager to recover.

----------

Under "Details" I checked the Hardware ID, hoping there'd be something, but all that says is: "USB\PORT_LINK_COMPLIANCE_MODE"

If I uninstall the device, it shows back up shortly, even if I haven't touched my USB ports.  

I do suppose I could Disable the device.  But I'd like to save that as a last resort.

I'd like to think I did a decent job of digging on my own for this, but now I need some help!

My basic PC specs are below, please feel free to ask me any more details you might need.

Thanks in advance!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

RAM: 32GB DDR4

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (Rev: 1.0) With latest firmware)

Boot SSD: Samsung 500GB SATA

Storage HDD: Western Digital 3TB HDD

Case: Corsair 650D

Its the thunderbolt and usb c port.  Go to the page for your board on gigabyte and download the drivers for the thunderbolt and install it.  Also if you are on bios F20 or F21 you may have to go to the gigabyte website and download the thunderbolt firmware update that is specifically for the gaming 7.  Driver for it is under drivers update is under utilities. 

Link here http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

5 minutes ago, intender said:

Its the thunderbolt and usb c port.  Go to the page for your board on gigabyte and download the drivers for the thunderbolt and install it.  Also if you are on bios F20 or F21 you may have to go to the gigabyte website and download the thunderbolt firmware update that is specifically for the gaming 7.  Driver for it is under drivers update is under utilities. 

Link here http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

Thank you for your reply!  I did try the thunderbolt update.  I first installed one from the website, then, I got what I assume is a newer version through gigabyte's own update utilities.  Didn't seem to have any effect.  I'll try it again, of course.  Maybe I need to uninstall the older drivers first?

Thanks again, I'll give it another shot and report back.

I did find the Thunderbolt utility.  Really not very intuitive.

Unfortunately, it only seems to have made my problem worse!  Now, in addition to the "Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)" entry in the device manager, I also now have a Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) entry there, too.

Port 0002 Hub 0004.

Help?

I have the same board and getting the firmware to flash was a pain in the butt.  I think you have to flash it, your computer should reboot twice, and then you have to shut down and kill power to the computer for about 30 seconds.  It is supposed to work after that.  But it took me quite a while and several attemps to flash to actually get it to work, and unfortunately I dont remember the exact steps I did to get it to work. 

Maybe it didn't take on the first attempt.  I'll give it another shot and report back later tonight when I get home from work.  Thanks again for the assist. 

Fingers crossed it works!

This is getting extremely frustrating! Ugh. The thunderbolt flasher doesn't auto reboot on its own. My only options are to shut down or cancel. I never get any indication of success or failure. Tried it 5 times. No luck. Even reflashed the F21 bios and then tried to flash the thunderbolt update. Nothing.

What can the hangup possibly be?

IMG_20170522_235422.jpg

IMG_20170523_000022.jpg

On 5/22/2017 at 6:27 AM, intender said:

I have the same board and getting the firmware to flash was a pain in the butt.  I think you have to flash it, your computer should reboot twice, and then you have to shut down and kill power to the computer for about 30 seconds.  It is supposed to work after that.  But it took me quite a while and several attemps to flash to actually get it to work, and unfortunately I dont remember the exact steps I did to get it to work. 

@intender Got any more ideas?  Thanks again for all the help up to this point. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still not having any luck with this, and still need help.

Thank you in advance!

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same issue with the same motherboard, recently updated to the lastest bios 2 weeks ago. Then all of a sudden without any new drivers or hardware changes my keyboard starts to go wonky. Every time I would type it would give me a  1-5 second delay between letters making it impossible to do anything. It would also activate windows shortcuts randomly closing, opening programs or even alt tabbing when the windows key wasnt even being pressed. Even with a different keyboard same issue.

I checked my device manager and I am getting the same error, I updated the firmware and have the same issues. Updated to the latest windows 10 updates. Same issue, Disable Thunderbolt in my bios. (still shows up with a device error even though its disabled) Same damn issue.  Switched all the USB ports, Same issue. Started my computer with NO usb devices plugged in SAME DAMN ISSUE, My computer is unusable at the moment.

Edit : I tried to downgrade to F20 from F22f, 2 odd things happened, the bios went through the update process and rebooted however the bios some how kept the new gui interface look and all my settings were kept which should have been wiped out. Then I booted back into window however now the device manager wasnt giving me an exclamation mark it was saying the device was OK but still in compliance mode. So, I rebooted and back into windows it was an exclamation mark once again. This was all with F20 bios downgrade. So I rebooted, Wiped the Bios and reflashed it to F21, did all the same steps and NO GO. Tried to go back to F22f with all the same steps and full circle same problem, I cannot use my keyboard properly it keeps randomly activating windows shortcuts when i type anything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 6:56 PM, Solarix said:

I'm having the same issue with the same motherboard, recently updated to the lastest bios 2 weeks ago. Then all of a sudden without any new drivers or hardware changes my keyboard starts to go wonky. Every time I would type it would give me a  1-5 second delay between letters making it impossible to do anything. It would also activate windows shortcuts randomly closing, opening programs or even alt tabbing when the windows key wasnt even being pressed. Even with a different keyboard same issue.

I checked my device manager and I am getting the same error, I updated the firmware and have the same issues. Updated to the latest windows 10 updates. Same issue, Disable Thunderbolt in my bios. (still shows up with a device error even though its disabled) Same damn issue.  Switched all the USB ports, Same issue. Started my computer with NO usb devices plugged in SAME DAMN ISSUE, My computer is unusable at the moment.

Edit : I tried to downgrade to F20 from F22f, 2 odd things happened, the bios went through the update process and rebooted however the bios some how kept the new gui interface look and all my settings were kept which should have been wiped out. Then I booted back into window however now the device manager wasnt giving me an exclamation mark it was saying the device was OK but still in compliance mode. So, I rebooted and back into windows it was an exclamation mark once again. This was all with F20 bios downgrade. So I rebooted, Wiped the Bios and reflashed it to F21, did all the same steps and NO GO. Tried to go back to F22f with all the same steps and full circle same problem, I cannot use my keyboard properly it keeps randomly activating windows shortcuts when i type anything.

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  Unfortunately, I have zero ideas on how to fix your issues man. Best of luck!  I need to totally reinstall my OS anyway.  Hopefully that might do something...

• 2 months later...

USB problem fixed for me by updating to latest thunderbolt firmware for Gigabyte Z170X board.

Hope that helps any newcomers !!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 5:30 AM, Agent-Smith said:

USB problem fixed for me by updating to latest thunderbolt firmware for Gigabyte Z170X board.

Hope that helps any newcomers !!

Just saw this. Thanks for the reply.  I ended up reinstalling Windows, and that seemed to help, oddly enough.  But I'll look into newer drivers for future reference, too.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please walk me through the steps of updating to the latest thunderbolt firmware please. I'm so lost and so sick of this device not recognized pop up!

• 4 years later...

Good day to all. I'v purchased a portable monitor (viewsonic vg 1655). And my laptop is Asus S510U. I'v tried almost all the options available in internet to overcome the unresolved issue of the "link in compliance mode (error code 43)". But still, whenever I m connecting my portabel monitor with my laptop via bus c port, it should immediately start, instead it shows "no signal". so, I am using it with both usb c and an hdmi cable, which is really irritating. Can anyone help me out of this problem? thanks in advance  

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2018 at 4:20 AM, Hybrid Divide said:

Just saw this. Thanks for the reply.  I ended up reinstalling Windows, and that seemed to help, oddly enough.  But I'll look into newer drivers for future reference, too.

Thanks again!

Hello!! Hybrid was you problem solved? I'm not getting it resolved! ://///