PC Soundcard for Dolby Atmos?

Guest Darth Revan
Go to solution Solved by Guest Darth Revan,
1 hour ago, zMeul said:

none exist, as far as I'm aware - I think there are couple of headsets that can do it

as Dolby 7.1, Atmos won't get much attraction in the PC market and I doubt we'll see dedicated HW Atmos decoders on sound cards anytime soon

Bummer.

Anyway thanks.

I have a simple question, does anyone know of a dedicated soundcard that can decode Dolby Atmos?

Not software decoders you can find in codecs, but an actual chip on the soundcard.

Like receivers have.

Does anyone know of a soundcard that can do that?

none exist, as far as I'm aware - I think there are couple of headsets that can do it

as Dolby 7.1, Atmos won't get much attraction in the PC market and I doubt we'll see dedicated HW Atmos decoders on sound cards anytime soon

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

Bummer.

Anyway thanks.

• 3 months later...

I just built a home theatre and put 7.1.4 (atmos) in it. Initially I had only 7.1 running and slowly I connected the rest over a few days. I was not very impressed. It was good but not what I felt in the demo room. So started playing with the configurations and I've hit it on the head now. It is really amazing how it sounds. I'm watching off my laptop and you don't need any special sound card. Audio via hdmi is all you need. The rest it making sure the settings in your player are correct. 

As for atmos being DOA, I don't think so. Just matter of setting it up correctly. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2017 at 2:24 PM, Diablo983 said:

I just built a home theatre and put 7.1.4 (atmos) in it. Initially I had only 7.1 running and slowly I connected the rest over a few days. I was not very impressed. It was good but not what I felt in the demo room. So started playing with the configurations and I've hit it on the head now. It is really amazing how it sounds. I'm watching off my laptop and you don't need any special sound card. Audio via hdmi is all you need. The rest it making sure the settings in your player are correct. 

As for atmos being DOA, I don't think so. Just matter of setting it up correctly. 

Can you give some info about which GPU you use for it? I cannot set my mediacenter to Atmos, on my laptop (XPS 15 from last year) it works without a problem, but I want it working on my mediacenter.

Can you also give the config you use?