CPU + GPU on single rad

Hey,

I am upgrading my setup since my CPU and GPU are a bit slow for me (mostly used for CAD, fluid simulations, and some gaming). Will be waiting for vega and will pick my gpu then, probably ending up at around a 350W TDP. I will be shoving this into an FT03 mini case, and wanted to know whether I should go with air cooling the gpu, or whether I should put them all on a single loop water cooler, and if so, whether I could use a 120mm thick rad, needed to mod a bunch to get a single 140mm rad, or whether there was no chance that I could use a single loop, and if so, whether liquid cooling one, air cooling both, or switching to a different case (I really dont want to) would be a better option.

1 minute ago, MIALSLSOALA said:

Hey,

I am upgrading my setup since my CPU and GPU are a bit slow for me (mostly used for CAD, fluid simulations, and some gaming). Will be waiting for vega and will pick my gpu then, probably ending up at around a 350W TDP. I will be shoving this into an FT03 mini case, and wanted to know whether I should go with air cooling the gpu, or whether I should put them all on a single loop water cooler, and if so, whether I could use a 120mm thick rad, needed to mod a bunch to get a single 140mm rad, or whether there was no chance that I could use a single loop, and if so, whether liquid cooling one, air cooling both, or switching to a different case (I really dont want to) would be a better option.

A single 120mm or 140mm rad for both a CPU and GPU wouldn't be enough for cooling, you will want a minimum of 360mm ideally. For such a small case I would look into getting a single 120mm AIO for the CPU and a blower style cooler for the GPU. 

16 hours ago, W-L said:

A single 120mm or 140mm rad for both a CPU and GPU wouldn't be enough for cooling, you will want a minimum of 360mm ideally. For such a small case I would look into getting a single 120mm AIO for the CPU and a blower style cooler for the GPU. 

This.  The general rule of thumb is that you want 240mm for each component, so 480mm total for both CPU and GPU (360 + 120, or 240x2).  You can get away with less (such as a single 360mm) but your average temps will be a bit higher unless you're running push/pull using fans on either side of the radiator.  I would also recommend getting an AIO (240 if you can fit it) and if you mount it in the front of the case you can use an open air GPU with no problem in a normal case, but if you are using a very small case a blower will probably be better.

Jayz2cents recommends 120mm per component you're cooling, double that if you're overclocking. By those standards a single 140mm probably wont be enough. That said, you should read this: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

One of the main points is that the effectiveness of your radiator will increase the larger the difference between water temperature and ambient temperature. Thickness of the rad, push/pull and fan speed will of course also matter.

You probably wont be able to make your components run cool, but do some calculations on the potential cooling capacity of your system. You *might* be able to achieve something acceptable.

you can liquid cool a CPU and GPU with only a 120mm rad (look at the 295x2) but you may not be running as cool if you had more rads or be able to overclock as high, but a single 120mm rad is far better then air cooling in a small case like that.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

you can liquid cool a CPU and GPU with only a 120mm rad (look at the 295x2) but you may not be running as cool if you had more rads or be able to overclock as high, but a single 120mm rad is far better then air cooling in a small case like that.

Not a chance.  Putting both a CPU and a GPU on a single 120mm rad is definitely not superior to air cooling in a case like that.  Running a blower-style GPU removes most of the heat from that component from the case, and running the largest (good) air cooler that will fit in the case will give you at least the same performance or better than any 120mm water cooler.  The good air coolers are pretty much on par with 240mm AIO on just a CPU, no way a 120mm doing both is better.

28 minutes ago, aithos said:

Not a chance.  Putting both a CPU and a GPU on a single 120mm rad is definitely not superior to air cooling in a case like that.  Running a blower-style GPU removes most of the heat from that component from the case, and running the largest (good) air cooler that will fit in the case will give you at least the same performance or better than any 120mm water cooler.  The good air coolers are pretty much on par with 240mm AIO on just a CPU, no way a 120mm doing both is better.

What air cooler that is 84mm in height or less is better then a 120mm rad? 

A 295x2 is rated at 500w and only has a 120mm rad.

Here is a guy who used a single 120mm rad in this same case cooling the CPU+GPU and having temps under 55c.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1461946/buildlog-ft03-mini-wced-gaming-htpc-all-in-one-challenge/10

24 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

What air cooler that is 84mm in height or less is better then a 120mm rad? 

A 295x2 is rated at 500w and only has a 120mm rad.

Here is a guy who used a single 120mm rad in this same case cooling the CPU+GPU and having temps under 55c.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1461946/buildlog-ft03-mini-wced-gaming-htpc-all-in-one-challenge/10

Ok, a couple things:

1) That guy was making a HTPC and not a CAD/Simulation/Gaming PC.

2) That guy installed a custom water cooling loop and in case you missed it has the pump suspended BELOW the case.

3) That guy did significant modding of the case to install extra cooling and make it work at all and stated "not for the faint of heart".

IE: none of that is relevant to what the OP is doing at all and making a recommendation on a build based on what some guy was able to do for a CONTEST that he likely put dozens of hours into (if not 100+) is ridiculous.  If the OP runs a GPU/CPU off a standard 120mm rad and doesn't go to the same level there is no way the performance will be similar.

Also, for the record... I was pretty clear in my first post that water is fine for the CPU but that doing a blower card for the GPU and removing that from the equation is the better option in a small case.  So getting the biggest AIO for the CPU and a blower style GPU is the best option other than switching cases, which is definitely better unless there is some reason the OP NEEDS a tiny build.  If not then just getting a decent mid-tower case that can have a proper loop installed would be far better performance and aesthetics.

5 minutes ago, aithos said:

Ok, a couple things:

1) That guy was making a HTPC and not a CAD/Simulation/Gaming PC.

2) That guy installed a custom water cooling loop and in case you missed it has the pump suspended BELOW the case.

3) That guy did significant modding of the case to install extra cooling and make it work at all and stated "not for the faint of heart".

IE: none of that is relevant to what the OP is doing at all and making a recommendation on a build based on what some guy was able to do for a CONTEST that he likely put dozens of hours into (if not 100+) is ridiculous.  If the OP runs a GPU/CPU off a standard 120mm rad and doesn't go to the same level there is no way the performance will be similar.

Also, for the record... I was pretty clear in my first post that water is fine for the CPU but that doing a blower card for the GPU and removing that from the equation is the better option in a small case.  So getting the biggest AIO for the CPU and a blower style GPU is the best option other than switching cases, which is definitely better unless there is some reason the OP NEEDS a tiny build.  If not then just getting a decent mid-tower case that can have a proper loop installed would be far better performance and aesthetics.

my whole point was that you can cool a CPU and GPU off of a single 120mm rad. I also assumed that if he even thinks of doing a custom look in that case he probably already knows it is not going to be a simple task. for a easy setup I agree with mostly sticking with air cooling or just have the CPU cooled by a closed loop cooler.

I personally would do a custom loop in that case with a single 120mm rad.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

my whole point was that you can cool a CPU and GPU off of a single 120mm rad. I also assumed that if he even thinks of doing a custom look in that case he probably already knows it is not going to be a simple task. for a easy setup I agree with mostly sticking with air cooling or just have the CPU cooled by a closed loop cooler.

I personally would do a custom loop in that case with a single 120mm rad.

I'm assuming that if he's asking then he probably doesn't want to spend an absurd amount of time and have to do significant modification, because if he did then he would be asking "what do I need to do to make this work?" rather than "what is my best option?".  People who want to do something crazy aren't typically asking general questions like this. 

I personally wouldn't even consider a build in a case like that.  For example, if I was going to make a HTPC to play some games and run media to my TV I'd be building in a normal sized case and sticking it in a closet.  Then I'd run hard-wire networking to that closet and assess control solutions (wireless vs remote desktop) and go from there.