Does my reservoir/fill port need to be at the top of my loop?

So im building my first watercooling loop, just ordered all the parts.

But I wanted to ask, im planning on putting my EK XRES 100 mounted to the middle fan spot on the front of my case.

This means that there will be some tubing and a top mounted radiator above it.

When I go to fill the loop, will the pressure from the liquid above it cause the reservoir to overfill? Or will it be ok?

IE: Does my fill port need to be at the highest point in my loop? If so, how can I go about doing this since Im going to have a top mounted radiator

Nope, your pump will take care of gravity. I myself have my res and pump below my rad, never had an issue.

Its best to allocate a drain port at the lowest point in the loop though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Having the fill port on top helps getting airbubbles out of your loop, so it accelerates the fill-process.

You will be fine, look at mine:

jhChGOX.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, your pump will take care of gravity. I myself have my res and pump below my rad, never had an issue.

Its best to allocate a drain port at the lowest point in the loop though.

Thanks

Yeah my drain port Will be coming off the res, only part lower than that will be the lower half of the front radiator but the ports on that will be at the top so I can just take it and empty it by hand after I guess.

Only thing im regretting is not buying a bigger case TBH

Building in an NZXT h440 which is a great case, but will make it a bit tight.

Oh well, should be ok!

On 5/21/2017 at 1:55 PM, GoldieFoxx said:

Thanks

Yeah my drain port Will be coming off the res, only part lower than that will be the lower half of the front radiator but the ports on that will be at the top so I can just take it and empty it by hand after I guess.

Sounds good, only thing I want to add is that when draining the system you'll only need to tilt the case in order to get most of the liquid out of your front radiator (in most setups). Once your struggling to get any more liquid out you can then carefully remove the radiator.

Removing the radiator from the case without a fair amount of tilting will most likely get liquid all over the place.

On 5/21/2017 at 1:56 PM, GoldieFoxx said:

Only thing im regretting is not buying a bigger case TBH

Building in an NZXT h440 which is a great case, but will make it a bit tight.

Oh well, should be ok!

And just to add my 2 cents, having a tight water-cooling build generally looks much better than having not enough inside the case. You can always get a bigger case and transplant your current system into that.

Good luck with your build, hope it goes smoothly!