1 minute ago, Alfred14 said:

@ChalkChalkson Yeah stumbled upon this thread while researching rsync, i currently have about 10TB worth of data on an unraid server and thinking about setting up a cold backup on another server that i only turn on every now and again because unfortunately i have suffered a severe failure in the past where i lost about 70% of my data so dont want that to happen again! 

You think my setup could be something for you?

AFAIK rsync is not really useful without using cron

On 5/21/2017 at 11:59 AM, ChalkChalkson said:

12-cron

So, now you have a simple 1 line solution to back up folders, but you don't want to do it manually, you want the machine to remember. A solution for this is cron.

First step is making sure cron is doing its thing, just execute:

I think at this stage i'm happy to execute it manually.

Just now, Alfred14 said:

I think at this stage i'm happy to execute it manually.

keep in mind, that it does not replace changed files 

https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-remote-file-synchronization-commands/

Some advantages and features of Rsync command
  1. It efficiently copies and sync files to or from a remote system.
  2. Supports copying links, devices, owners, groups and permissions.
  3. It’s faster than scp (Secure Copy) because rsync uses remote-update protocol which allows to transfer just the differences between two sets of files. First time, it copies the whole content of a file or a directory from source to destination but from next time, it copies only the changed blocks and bytes to the destination.
  4. Rsync consumes less bandwidth as it uses compression and decompression method while sending and receiving data both ends.

Does this information not apply or am i not understanding correctly?

Fair enough, will have to look into it a bit more i think

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a cron job in /boot/config/cronjobs/phpservermon.cron

I want to it to run the status.cron.php file every minute. 

*/1 * * * * /mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php

But I'm getting this as a result: 

/bin/sh: /mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: Permission denied

Seem to have fixed it with a chmod

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

https://technicalramblings.com/

Hm, but the output is this:

<

/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 2: /bin: Is a directory
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 3: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 4: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 5: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 6: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 7: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 8: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 9: mdcmd: command not found
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `at'
/mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php: line 10: ` * (at your option) any later version.'

>

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

https://technicalramblings.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.8.2017 at 0:03 PM, Noose said:

*/1 * * * * /mnt/user/Docker/letsencrypt/www/phpservermon/cron/status.cron.php

I actually never worked with php, try replacing it with a simple "hello world" application in the same directory and see if it works at all

Sorry for the late response btw, was on offline holiday 

Just want to get it out. 

I setup my unraid thanks to your help. Even i haven't took any step it helped me to get started.

Thanks for your effort.

Btw. I was wondering why copying Files from my external HDD to unraid NAS was causing on Disk to run full while the other one was bored. Turns out the default for shares are high water. I set it to most free so the workload for each disk get reduced. Maybe you can have a word on it in your guide which mode you suggest.

7 hours ago, Aluavin said:

Just want to get it out. 

I setup my unraid thanks to your help. Even i haven't took any step it helped me to get started.

Thanks for your effort.

Btw. I was wondering why copying Files from my external HDD to unraid NAS was causing on Disk to run full while the other one was bored. Turns out the default for shares are high water. I set it to most free so the workload for each disk get reduced. Maybe you can have a word on it in your guide which mode you suggest.

I actually think the high water share setting is a pretty good fallback for less experienced people :D 

• 1 year later...

Oh boy, just reread that thing, because I linked to it in another thread... there is a lot I should probably change about it. Is there still interest in this thing (or a more general version for everything that can run docker?)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 8:13 PM, MrNapster said:

@ChalkChalkson I would be interested in seeing an updated version of this guide!

What in particular do you want an update on? I honestly didn't get to play around with either software or hardware the last couple of months, but I could look into something particular if you want