Noctua NH-D15, can I run it passive?

Kenji the Uke

So a friend mentioned that it might be possible that i can run my noctua cooler passively since its so big owo I was only gonna use my exhaust fan to pull air through it. IS THIS POSSIBRU? i5 3570k no oc 

Moist

yus c; 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

yus c; 

What would be the temps i'd expect, you think? :v

Moist

Just now, Kenji the Uke said:

What would be the temps i'd expect, you think? :v

good enough lol

i think it depends on how long you're going to run it for (pinned at 100% usage) 

like, it'll goto 60c or so, then slowly rise up as there's no cooling the heatsink 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

good enough lol

i think it depends on how long you're going to run it for (pinned at 100% usage) 

like, it'll goto 60c or so, then slowly rise up as there's no cooling the heatsink 

:v that's a bit spoopy..

Moist

thats going to be fine, id say maybe 80C load? depends on external airflow as well

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

depends on ambient temps and what kind of airflow you have in your case...or you can just set the fan at a fixed low speed and enjoy silent cooling...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

depends on ambient temps and what kind of airflow you have in your case...or you can just set the fan at a fixed low speed and enjoy silent cooling...

I have them as low as my motherboard would let me, 700 rpm ;w; 

Moist

Yeah as long as your case airflow is good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah as long as your case airflow is good.

It's the.. Define S owo with stock fans

Moist

8 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

It's the.. Define S owo with stock fans

Try it and monitor your temps during a stress test, it will probably be ok.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Linus did a video on passive cooling with only one fan blowing. Dont expect to cool well when its being used heavily

Should work, provided it isnt at 100% usage all the time. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

you need to understand, having 1 fan running at 700rpm vs running 3 fan of the same speed will produce near identical noise level.

either go full passive or dont bother.

Honestly as quiet as the Noctua fans are I wouldn't even bother the cooling benefit you'll get will far outweigh the "silence" you'll get but it depends on your situation I suppose.

On 20/05/2017 at 7:07 PM, Kenji the Uke said:

So a friend mentioned that it might be possible that i can run my noctua cooler passively since its so big owo I was only gonna use my exhaust fan to pull air through it. IS THIS POSSIBRU? i5 3570k no oc 

why not take an NH-D15 and solder another NH-D15 on top of it to cool the bottom one with the top one?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

17 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

why not take an NH-D15 and solder another NH-D15 on top of it to cool the bottom one with the top one?

:v

Moist