How bad is it going to be?

crazydog2580

So my gf really wants an iMac for Xmas and I’m going to buy it for her.. I was wondering what are they like at gaming? Should be ok mid to high Settings? If I’m going to buy it I might as well get some use out of it.

Yes I know there not cheap and I could build something much better and blah blah it’s more about the look for her then the performance.

kHcE2FN.jpg

If you're buying it for her, then I suggest building it. Don't waste your money on something like that. You can build a very nice looking machine at a better price.

If she's buying it herself then it's fine in my opinion.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

For the same price you ca7n get a gaming rig and you can dual boot hackintosh and windows (for you) and get an apple looking monitor

Build a gaming desktop

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($225.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard:  Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($223.97 @ OutletPC) 

Memory:  Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($169.74 @ Amazon) 

Storage:  Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($168.99 @ B&H) 

Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 

Case:  BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case  ($83.97 @ OutletPC) 

Power Supply:  SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($121.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.00 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1478.62

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-19 23:11 EST-0500)

and

get her a macbook pro

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD212LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Make a hackintosh and save 1000-1500$

don't even go to the lengths of that, all she wants is pretty outside, so just get her a decent build for $500 and put elementary OS on it, bam it has a nice looking OS and if you use an define R4 no window you are set

Build a decent system with a sleek looking m-atx case with a nice 27" 1440p display. And use windows because you would probably end up bootcamping a iMac to play some games. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Such a waste, build an itx and 27' monitor 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

all that money for a GF? Buy her a ring instead, they cost about the same. If she was your wife sure but $3000 for a gf, no. 

also, Its meh.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

NOOOOO all she thinks is macs are pretty, get like a 900D and put a really boss loop in it.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

To all I don't care about the cost. 

it does not seem to do to badly ive only ever really gamed on consoles so this will be better

If you're buying it for her, then I suggest building it. Don't waste your money on something like that. You can build a very nice looking machine at a better price.

If she's buying it herself then it's fine in my opinion.

like I said its more about the look for her it matches in with her design for here room

Build a gaming desktop

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($225.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard:  Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($223.97 @ OutletPC) 

Memory:  Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($169.74 @ Amazon) 

Storage:  Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($168.99 @ B&H) 

Video Card:  Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 

Case:  BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case  ($83.97 @ OutletPC) 

Power Supply:  SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($121.98 @ SuperBiiz) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.00 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1478.62

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-19 23:11 EST-0500)

and

get her a macbook pro

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD212LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

we don't need another laptop and im plaining this build soon http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/lYk (subject to change)

all that money for a GF? Buy her a ring instead, they cost about the same. If she was your wife sure but $3000 for a gf, no. 

also, Its meh.

gf of 4.5 years who i have over half a mil mortgage with. i think 3.5k is ok to spend on a gift 

I love how everyone has decided to tell him otherwise despite his post saying he's going to buy it.

@crazydog2580 have a youtube search of 27 iMac 780M and you will see a few gaming videos posted maybe you can glean some info from that.

To be honest if you want to game on the machine I'd suggest potentially dual booting Windows, but on those games that are Mac friendly it won't be too bad, perhaps I'd drop the res to 1080p when playing to boost the frames up. It's expensive yes, but there is some decent hardware inside of it none the less.

If you really want to game properly though, buy the lady her iMac, and build yourself a windows system for gaming!

If it's "looks" you care about there's PLENTY of mini itx cases that would do you just fine. A 1500$-2000$ hackintosh build + http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-New-YAMAKASI-DS270-IPS-SE-LED-27-2560X1440-Monitor-Free-Express-/141014647239?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d520c1c7 one of those would absolutely smoke that imac. I know what you said but you should talk to your gf about it, because 3000 for that imac is the biggest ripoff ive ever seen. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

I wouldn't do it, I'd be explaining to my girlfriend every reason not to get one of these, People get easily led into believing Apple products are the be all and end all and it's very narrow minded, Just because you may have the money doesn't mean it should be stupidly spent, 'A fool and his money are easily parted'. And as posted above a custom pc you could build her would be waaay better or even a laptop/ultra book, Spending $3.3k AUS on a desktop for your girlfriend which won't be used nearly half as much as it should do is daft

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

A huge waste of money. Unless you dont care about that money and you have way too much money to waste dont get it. Build a PC with a nice looking case(I can bet you your GF will find a cool one for her there all kinds of cases) and add a nice stylish monitor and you should be set. For MUCH less.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I wouldn't listen to these guys, just go ahead and buy it. Honestly Its not that bad [for gaming], as per notebookcheck's 780m review, and the hardware is always very nice. If it will make her happy, and you are okay with spending that much money its ok, really. I don't think you will be able to find an All-in-one with that spec combo and that nice hardware and screen. For the longest time, I've been anti-apple but recently i've thought about it, and it isn't that bad. The quality of their things is always really good.

BTW and just to avoid debates, i'm not a fanboy and don't own any apple products. I even have a surface pro so yea.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

If it's "looks" you care about there's PLENTY of mini itx cases that would do you just fine. A 1500$-2000$ hackintosh build + http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-New-YAMAKASI-DS270-IPS-SE-LED-27-2560X1440-Monitor-Free-Express-/141014647239?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d520c1c7 one of those would absolutely smoke that imac. I know what you said but you should talk to your gf about it, because 3000 for that imac is the biggest ripoff ive ever seen. 

I wouldn't do it, I'd be explaining to my girlfriend every reason not to get one of these, People get easily led into believing Apple products are the be all and end all and it's very narrow minded, Just because you may have the money doesn't mean it should be stupidly spent, 'A fool and his money are easily parted'. And as posted above a custom pc you could build her would be waaay better or even a laptop/ultra book, Spending $3.3k AUS on a desktop for your girlfriend which won't be used nearly half as much as it should do is daft

A huge waste of money. Unless you dont care about that money and you have way too much money to waste dont get it. Build a PC with a nice looking case(I can bet you your GF will find a cool one for her there all kinds of cases) and add a nice stylish monitor and you should be set. For MUCH less.

thanks for all the suggestions but she is just not interested in a pc build she just wants a clean simple machine. we have looked at a ton of other all-in-one set ups. i have told her there a rip but she still wants one so what can ya do. give her what she wants then i can have the same budget for my self. I intend on building a pc probably early in the new year   

thanks for all the suggestions but she is just not interested in a pc build she just wants a clean simple machine. we have looked at a ton of other all-in-one set ups. i have told her there a rip but she still wants one so what can ya do. give her what she wants then i can have the same budget for my self. I intend on building a pc probably early in the new year

No. Just tell her to stfu n stop whining and build the pc. Jk :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

It's not bad in general, but it's terrible in price to performance.

Alienware would be a better deal than this.

Or Origin PC.