Scrapyard Wars Season 5 *Updated w/ Ep4 FINALE*

Well, episode 3 had all sorts of shenanigans in it that I guess might equalize out Linus and Luke getting good deals because people knew them. 

Honestly it's pretty shitty though if the guy broke that drive because he pulled it out while it was spinning.

Linus and Luke got a really good deal on that RGB kit.

Next Scrapyard Wars I vote to extend the time spent on it, like give 3 days to make your plan and get hardware then add a 4th and 5th day for case mods, testing and overclocking, things are just to rushed at the last second of day 3 it just results in cheating like,

Spoiler

the end of episode 3 with Edzel getting them a drive

My comment on IDE adapter adventure :
Doing old stuff can be challenging :)

Maybe next Scrapyard Wars theme should be "retro" (instead of RGB) ?
For example :

1) Build the fastest PC with a functioning AGP slot on MB (AGP + PCI-e is "OK", if AGP works).
2) Building best PC using LGA 1156/1366* or AM3(+) platform (*1366 is almost 10Y old + I wish Linus/Luke had the time to get that server stuff to work :/)

I would love to see something like this in the future...

Other :
Extending the time to do any Scrapyard Wars to a whole week (7 Days, that's 5 working days).

Filming all of that could be hard, and getting second or even a third editor to get things together may be a must in this case.
BUT this would enable shipping options (ie. no need to fly anywhere to get the best parts... if you are fast enough on first few days).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

2) Building best PC using LGA 1156/1366* or AM3(+) platform (*1366 is almost 10Y old + I wish Linus/Luke could get that server stuff to work :/)

That's not very retro, though - they've been using mostly Core 2 Quads in Scrapyard Wars up until now (don't remember the specs of season 4, but certainly in the first 3), and that's older than all of those.

I agree on timing: I don't mind them rushing to get the parts, but it would be nice to have some separate time just to build. I think season 4 was the only one with good finishing for obvious reasons, but the rest... they could as well just bring a bucket with all the parts and calculate performance out of spreadsheets :P 

Well, to me "retro" is any stuff that's 10 years old (that's simple way of thinking about it, and I know definition is fluid), and since I doubt there will be Season 6 this year, 2018 is the year LGA 1366 will have it's 10Y anniversary.

I admit LGA 1156 and AM3 are 2009 tech, but I simply wanted to force a time period for CPU/MB combo that can be used.

Actually, forcing them to work with Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs (or Athlon 64s), could be fun as well :) (65nm limit, and no Conroe allowed), woudn't you agree ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

There needs to be a new rule where Linus and Luke cannot call any potential sellers because the people who sold them the parts clearly knew who they were and only pretended to not know so Linus could get the deal. I find it hard to believe that that guy would sell his 980ti to anybody else for only $250.

Do a SFF (Small Form Factor) SYW. That'd be a lot more interesting than RGB.

Love this season, but there's way too many hiccups.

1. Rule should allow self-refunds for parts you got that were broken out of the box. Would help avoid this whole drive problem Paul & Kyle are having. because you're literally putting them into a position where

A. they don't have a drive and are forced to forfeit and we don't get an exciting conclusion or

B. They have to risk breaking the rules and use their own hardware

2. Linus & Luke running out of Dremel metal cutting disks is stupid, those things are like a dime a dozen and I think you can even get them at Wallmart. Why on earth do they allow this to be a potential deciding factor because I really wanted to see the type of mods they would do and now I'm let down.

3. Linus definitely was known to some of these people he was dealing with. It didn't help that at one of them he was even wearing the LinusTechTips T-Shirt. Don't you guys have any of your own clothes or are you literally just a walking billboard?

So does anybody know the music piece they keep using? (beginning of Ep2 and in Ep3 from 04:30 onward) 

20 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

1. Rule should allow self-refunds for parts you got that were broken out of the box. Would help avoid this whole drive problem Paul & Kyle are having. because you're literally putting them into a position where

A. they don't have a drive and are forced to forfeit and we don't get an exciting conclusion or

B. They have to risk breaking the rules and use their own hardware

2. Linus & Luke running out of Dremel metal cutting disks is stupid, those things are like a dime a dozen and I think you can even get them at Wallmart. Why on earth do they allow this to be a potential deciding factor because I really wanted to see the type of mods they would do and now I'm let down.

3. Linus definitely was known to some of these people he was dealing with. It didn't help that at one of them he was even wearing the LinusTechTips T-Shirt. Don't you guys have any of your own clothes or are you literally just a walking billboard?

1. They had a working 80 GB SSD drive. Windows would use maybe 20 GB (maybe even less by enabling NTFS compression) so there was plenty of space left for SOME benchmarks.  The bigger hard drive was just for storing games and crap for benchmarks - they could have simply networked the computers with a plan network cable and put the games on a share and maybe copy games as needed to local SSD.

I don't think there was some rule about having ALL benchmark stuff installed before hand - could have installed one at a time (downside being longer times between tests).

Yeah using a dremel seemed stupid to me. I would have simply used some pliers or some plain saw blade.

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

for this point people were clearly trying to get them that guy didn't set his ad 2 weeks ago he set it for when Linus came down And if you watch all of Linus' videos you know he doesn't have any other T-shirts only LTT shirts he even did try to fool the callers by talking in a frantic voice plus the sellers already knew it was him before the meetup/price reductions so it isn't against the rules. Even if they did try to do something else that pits them even more it wouldn't help because Linus does the WAN show and usually keeps up to date when traveling so people will set prices lower when they come into town like Paul he found a Drive with a post being two days old and Linus being in town for four days.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

1. They had a working 80 GB SSD drive. Windows would use maybe 20 GB (maybe even less by enabling NTFS compression) so there was plenty of space left for SOME benchmarks.  The bigger hard drive was just for storing games and crap for benchmarks - they could have simply networked the computers with a plan network cable and put the games on a share and maybe copy games as needed to local SSD.

I don't think there was some rule about having ALL benchmark stuff installed before hand - could have installed one at a time (downside being longer times between tests).

Yeah using a dremel seemed stupid to me. I would have simply used some pliers or some plain saw blade.

an 80GB SSD is realistically more like 74GB, Windows 10 takes 14-20GB, GTA: V ALONE is a 68.8GB folder on my hard drive and thats not even counting having steam installed, it physically would not fit on that SSD is my point.

4 hours ago, Cyberpunk88 said:

So does anybody know the music piece they keep using? (beginning of Ep2 and in Ep3 from 04:30 onward) 

It would be a Warner/Chappell Production Music song.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

Can people already watch Episode 4 already?  Only asking because a lot of trolls in the comments of episode 3 on youtube spoiled the ending.  Not sure if trolling or just being inconsiderate.

4 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

an 80GB SSD is realistically more like 74GB, Windows 10 takes 14-20GB, GTA: V ALONE is a 68.8GB folder on my hard drive and thats not even counting having steam installed, it physically would not fit on that SSD is my point.

It would probably still be faster to run it  straight from network share (if installed on ssd on the other computer) than reading it from an ancient 160 GB ide drive, a game like the 60 GB gta5 would constantly stream data from the hard drive so the old ide hard drive latency and the maximum read speed would affect the minimum framerate of the game anyway. Mapping drive through network share would probably even give better scores at that point.

anyway... it was silly either way.

Disappointed with scrapyard wars overall this year..  The time to travel and gas money not counting to the price messed everything up - f%#k Linus could have rented a van and take a couple of sleeping bags to sleep in the car over night and basically travel a few hundred miles to a town that had more stuff available or stores like freegeek or goodwill or whatever and come back the next day.

Same with showing up in person to some deals - if the person recognizes you of course you get better deals.., Just get one or two (for safety) of the new employees doing all the travel to people.. if you want to, have them use skype or something on the phones to see what they're buying and and guide them or make them suggest better deals.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It would probably still be faster to run it  straight from network share (if installed on ssd on the other computer) than reading it from an ancient 160 GB ide drive, a game like the 60 GB gta5 would constantly stream data from the hard drive so the old ide hard drive latency and the maximum read speed would affect the minimum framerate of the game anyway. Mapping drive through network share would probably even give better scores at that point.

anyway... it was silly either way.

Disappointed with scrapyard wars overall this year..  The time to travel and gas money not counting to the price messed everything up - f%#k Linus could have rented a van and take a couple of sleeping bags to sleep in the car over night and basically travel a few hundred miles to a town that had more stuff available or stores like freegeek or goodwill or whatever and come back the next day.

Same with showing up in person to some deals - if the person recognizes you of course you get better deals.., Just get one or two (for safety) of the new employees doing all the travel to people.. if you want to, have them use skype or something on the phones to see what they're buying and and guide them or make them suggest better deals.

using a network share would be against the rules, part of the challenge is your computer needs to be good enough to do EVERYTHING within your budget. meaning having the storage capacity to be usable as a standalone computer.

1 hour ago, Steelfist said:

Can people already watch Episode 4 already?  Only asking because a lot of trolls in the comments of episode 3 on youtube spoiled the ending.  Not sure if trolling or just being inconsiderate.

it's on floatplane club and some douche nuggets that deserve to lose their floatplane club memberships downloaded the file from floatplane then uploaded it to places like Google Drive and other file sharing sites, I have done what I can to delete the links posted in my pinned comment, hopefully others will follow suit. having avoided the other comments since it was posted to floatplane I cannot confirm anything more then what was shown in episode 3 in that Linus clearly cheated by changing the hardware he was going to buy after the guy recognized him and Paul and Kyle mentioned something about stealing a hard drive from somewhere. If you ask me NOBODY won, everyone cheated.

5 minutes ago, DWebNU said:

But where is episode 4? :'(

in the floatplane members only section of the forum.

40 minutes ago, DWebNU said:

But where is episode 4? :'(

Or, just be patient.  There's a strict no spoilers policy so everyone should be safe

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Or, just be patient.  There's a strict no spoilers policy so everyone should be safe

he has the "Floatplane Pilot" tag under his name, you might need to direct him to the correct section of the forum.

I'm also in the OC and threw up a bunch of listings on Craigslist when I knew Scrapyard Wars 5 was being shot... legit disappointed these guys didn't contact me until I saw the caliber of gear they ended up with. E.g. I listed a Xeon E5450, C2Q Q6600, GTX 950, HD7970, cheap NZXT cases, cheap DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and Corsair CX500. Also neglected to include my phone number, which was probably the final nail in the coffin for my attempt.

Regarding the shenanigans... for Season 6, you guys really need to do more to prevent folks from recognizing you and tighten your budget restrictions. The fact that Linus and Luke were about to fly up to the Bay Area for a part is INSANE. I get that travel expenses shouldn't be included in the budget, but at the point where you're spending double the price of the part just to travel to the seller? It was more frustrating than interesting to watch that. I'm glad that deal ultimately fell through and you found those local shops.

13 hours ago, spartanvi said:

I'm also in the OC and threw up a bunch of listings on Craigslist when I knew Scrapyard Wars 5 was being shot... legit disappointed these guys didn't contact me until I saw the caliber of gear they ended up with. E.g. I listed a Xeon E5450, C2Q Q6600, GTX 950, HD7970, cheap NZXT cases, cheap DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and Corsair CX500. Also neglected to include my phone number, which was probably the final nail in the coffin for my attempt.

Regarding the shenanigans... for Season 6, you guys really need to do more to prevent folks from recognizing you and tighten your budget restrictions. The fact that Linus and Luke were about to fly up to the Bay Area for a part is INSANE. I get that travel expenses shouldn't be included in the budget, but at the point where you're spending double the price of the part just to travel to the seller? It was more frustrating than interesting to watch that. I'm glad that deal ultimately fell through and you found those local shops.

Okay whoa there yeah in the third episode it was clear that both of the sellers put their listings for when Linus would come down 2 days deal is listed when they have been down for 5 days.

As for the second part they did mention they tried their best Linus tried calling in a frantic voice, called every 20 minutes ETC. and for the other sellers they had to confirm that they would lower their prices for someone else that low or didn't know who they are until the meetup and not before price reductions in calling.

Yeah they really can't do anything about it they have a WAN show every week so it kinda defeats the way the show can be set up. They were literally going overbudget by 15 dollars. You are welcome to call them cheaters or what not but the point is they did their best and that is what counts.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:39 AM, randomvector said:

What were the specs/parts used for both PCs? I wish they would highlight that more in the shows.

Linus and Luke :

Intel Core i7 3770

HP Case

GTX 980 TI

HP Motherboard

DDR3 RAM (forgot how much)

Some SSD

Paul and Kyle

Intel Core i5 4690K

Some Random Old Case

GTX 980 TI (I know it is the Zotac AMP Extreme,whatever it is called)

Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard (If Im right)

DDR3 (Also forgot how much here,probably 16 GB 

80 GB SSD

Some 160 GB HDD that Edzel stole

Honestly,The main RGB point of this season wasn't so exciting like how Scarpyard Wars 2 had (Watercooling) but rather that wasn't so cool of a season.What I want them to do next season is Build a SFF,Or maybe even that Mac Idea in the start of this SYW season would me more cool than just buying a $10 RGB strip and boom,10% points earned,and 490$ and build a good system after all,I wish they did like a cool looking system (maybe RGB,idk.) with having a base subject/whatever to it like how SYW Season 4 had,and step it upto the next level,like deforming metal and make it look cool,and a really good series I though of:

Spoiler

CeX Wars LoL

and wow,good stuff has become cheap,like before a 2500k $900 system and now a 3770 system $500,and only a year ago was that 900$ (a lot,but still very quick) and before was like 6xxx/7xxx/R9 Series and stuff much better,means like NVIDIA stuff made around 1-2 years ago is so cheap now,I will not be suprised if next season will consist of Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake stuff with GTX 10xx or maybe even crazier. Before the battle was with Sandy Bridge/LynnField and Now is Ivy Bridge/Haswell,wow,If I were build myself a system or get one,I'd go for either one of those systems rather than buying new stuff,since like 4690K system $500!? Yeah 4/5 Year old Stuff but nothing uncapable/obsolete/lackluster,heck here i'm running a laptop with a Ivy-Bridge i5 and serving me weel (except how many problems it is developing in such short period of time)

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

On 2017-06-05 at 11:49 PM, Daniel644 said:

he has the "Floatplane Pilot" tag under his name, you might need to direct him to the correct section of the forum.

Whoa, wait a minute? There's two levels of "patreon"-ish membership? I assumed just signing up meant getting access to all clips in advance, as has happened with episode 1-3... I already pay for "Floatplane Pilot" which I thought was enough, what is the price for "Member"? ;(