5.1 Audio from TV to PC Speakers.

Reddax

Hi there,

I have the Logitech 5.1 speakers(X-540) for my PC which has the 3x 3.5mm jacks coming out (fr/fl, bl/br, center) which currently go straight into my pc for 5.1 pc output.

However, I want to output my TV (LG 43UH603V-ZE) through optical to my speakers as well.

I've found this on ebay -  Sound decoder   Would this then output TV audio to my 5.1 speakers using an optical cable from my TV as well as from my PC?

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

So im not a super duper audiofile, but i know a bit bout hardware so here we go. 

Just a few questions.

1) What type of audio are you outputting from your tv [2.5mm, live and return (white and yellow) or HDMI ect]

2) So your taking a connection from your PC (assumably 2.5mm or 3.5mm)

3) Do you have a audio splitter.

Hi.

1) I'd output using an optical cable from my TV probably as I'm pretty sure that supports 5.1?. I want to output my input devices via HDMI to 5.1 (Nintendo switch, xbone, ps4 etc.)

2) At the moment I just have a 3.5mm from my tv into my PC to then pass through to my PC speakers. But this is only outputting stereo audio. I'm thinking that a decoder or whatever such as what I linked in my original post would solve this issue

3) Nope, my  speakers just has the 3x 3.5mm jacks coming out, i'd need to convert that to optical or something 

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

Are you sure your tv can output 5.1 through optical or is it stereo only? Is it a smart tv?

Just now, JohnT said:

Are you sure your tv can output 5.1 through optical or is it stereo only? Is it a smart tv?

See my post, "TV (LG 43UH603V-ZE)" so yeah, it's a smart TV

5 minutes ago, Reddax said:

See my post, "TV (LG 43UH603V-ZE)" so yeah, it's a smart TV

Fair enough. I totally missed that.

I don't have any experience with the decoder box you've linked, but it seems like it *should* work. You can also find a used receiver with pre-outs, and then connect those to your speaker system. This method I know works. Of course if you find a receiver, you will be able to hook speakers up to it directly.