Best Air Cooler for AM4

GanstaKingofSA
Go to solution Solved by porina,
6 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Case is a GUNGNIR X

The case apparently supports up to 180mm height on CPU cooler which should be enough for most thing. The Noctua U14S is nominally 165mm so is fine if you choose to go that route, or others in its size class.

Hi,

I'm almost have all my parts except a GPU, CPU, Mobo, and Fan. I considering a 1700x for my system but can't decide which Air Cooler is the best for cheap on AM4. Thanks

7 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Hi,

I'm almost have all my parts except a GPU, CPU, Mobo, and Fan. I considering a 1700x for my system but can't decide which Air Cooler is the best for cheap on AM4. Thanks

NH-U12S SE-AM4

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Save your money, use the stock. They have been very generous shipping a 95W CPU with a 140W rated cooler with rgb.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Save your money, use the stock. They have been very generous shipping a 95W CPU with a 140W rated cooler with rgb.

1700x doesnt have a CPU Cooler

3 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

1700x doesnt have a CPU Cooler

Really? I thought it came with the biggest one

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Nope 1800x and 1700x doesnt come with one. Only the 1700 or a used Wraith from FX

I can't fault the Noctua range, and had a U14S on a mildly OC 1700 until yesterday when I swapped it for AIO water, because I can, not because I needed to. The U14S is great but not cheap, and you would have to check it will fit in a given case as it is on the taller side. The U12S suggestion might be better in that situation.

So it depends on the budget expectations. Maybe getting a 1700 and using the included fan would help there.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

The 65W 1600 and 1700 (no-X) come with the Wraith Spire rated at 95W from memory, and only the 1700 one has RGB ring. The higher end (max?) cooler is supposed to be OEM only. The X CPUs don't come with anything. I'd rate the Spire as adequate but temps did drop noticeably when I put the U14S on. Can't recall exact numbers but it was of the ball park 10C under Prime95 like loads.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I can't fault the Noctua range, and had a U14S on a mildly OC 1700 until yesterday when I swapped it for AIO water, because I can, not because I needed to. The U14S is great but not cheap, and you would have to check it will fit in a given case as it is on the taller side. The U12S suggestion might be better in that situation.

So it depends on the budget expectations. Maybe getting a 1700 and using the included fan would help there.

The 65W 1600 and 1700 (no-X) come with the Wraith Spire rated at 95W from memory, and only the 1700 one has RGB ring. The higher end (max?) cooler is supposed to be OEM only. The X CPUs don't come with anything. I'd rate the Spire as adequate but temps did drop noticeably when I put the U14S on. Can't recall exact numbers but it was of the ball park 10C under Prime95 like loads.

Case is a GUNGNIR X

There are packages that include the Wraith MAX cooler supposedly.  They were announced in the product reveal documents...but I can't for the life of me find the 1700X or 1800X with it.

Nope 1800x and 1700x doesnt come with one. Only the 1700 or a used Wraith from FX

Your right I just checked a local store. None of the ryzen come with wraith max only the spire and some other one. There must have been a limited run of the wraith max

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Your right I just checked a local store. None of the ryzen come with wraith max only the spire and some other one. There must have been a limited run of the wraith max

I was questioning that also if they announced it. Think it is the Wraith from FX Series

Case is a GUNGNIR X

The case apparently supports up to 180mm height on CPU cooler which should be enough for most thing. The Noctua U14S is nominally 165mm so is fine if you choose to go that route, or others in its size class.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

I was questioning that also if they announced it. Think it is the Wraith from FX Series

It does look similar. Iv never seen one in person. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, porina said:

Alright because I was also thinking a Hyper 212 Evo. Dont Trust AIO's due to water leaks on my system

35 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Hi,

Why not just get a 1700 and overclock to the X's speed? I don't think it's worth the extra money.