Case fans are 4 pins, fan controller is 3 pins. What to do now?

workstationguy

Just bought NZXT LX, but apparently all my fans noctua AF 3000PWM are 4 pins. What should I do now?

Thanks.

you can plug 4pin fans into 3pin header as far as i know. But then they will always be maxed out and this would suck for me.

5 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

Just bought NZXT LX, but apparently all my fans noctua AF 3000PWM are 4 pins. What should I do now?

Thanks.

You can still use them, you just can't use pwm so you'll have less control over them (mostly in the lower range of their rpm).

3 minutes ago, Icefly said:

you can plug 4pin fans into 3pin header as far as i know. But then they will always be maxed out and this would suck for me.

That's not true you can still control the rpm range with DC fan controls they just can't run at as low of an rpm as you can with pwm.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

7 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

You can still use them, you just can't use pwm so you'll have less control over them (mostly in the lower range of their rpm).

That's not true you can still control the rpm range with DC fan controls they just can't run at as low of an rpm as you can with pwm.

What @Ryoku said. PWM means it changes the pulse rate of current to control speed of fan. DC just lowers or increases the voltage but is still able to control fan speed, just with lesser accuracy and range.

18 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

Thanks.

Just had a look at the connectors, you will have to get rid of some of that plastic from the connectors, then just make sure you connect the right pins

or better still get some 4 pin to 3 pin adaptor cables:

Fan 4-Pin PWM to 3-Pin Sleeved Adapter Cable

fanconnectors.jpg