Near all WannaCry ransomware infected users were running Windows 7

GoodBytes
3 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

is it open to the internet or has port 445 forwarded from your router to the server? If not it was never going to get infected b

Open worldwide.

The geek himself.

Won't be long until that tool is developed further and is able to take on Windows 10, these people have no lives that do this and these people are the wrong hands..

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

Interesting, this is something I wondered since it was announced.  TBH, this is surprising, but not extremely so.  I expected the numbers for XP would be very high, considering it wasn't protected at all, and I theorized this would just jump from one company's obsolete PC system to another, wiping out everything, but I guess it wasn't companies after all... or at least, if it was, they weren't quite as out of date as I thought.  I would now be interested to see the breakdown of business PCs vs home users, if that's possible, since after some thought, this makes a lot of sense.  After all, the same people who would refuse Windows 10 and stay on Windows 7 tend also to be the ones who turn off updates altogether and insodoing invite problems like this.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 hours ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

Literally copy paste from wikipedia with no link to the wiki article. It also has no relevance to who you are replying to.

Actually I edited out the ref tags and removed link formatting, and it doesn't matter because it's informative. smh

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, this is something I wondered since it was announced.  TBH, this is surprising, but not extremely so.  I expected the numbers for XP would be very high, considering it wasn't protected at all, and I theorized this would just jump from one company's obsolete PC system to another, wiping out everything, but I guess it wasn't companies after all... or at least, if it was, they weren't quite as out of date as I thought.  I would now be interested to see the breakdown of business PCs vs home users, if that's possible, since after some thought, this makes a lot of sense.  After all, the same people who would refuse Windows 10 and stay on Windows 7 tend also to be the ones who turn off updates altogether and insodoing invite problems like this.

It's most likely 90% businesses and 10% home users.

Home users are/were protected thanks to NAT and not having many computers on the network (or joining/leaving the network all the time).

What about me using windows 98

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

12 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

What about me using windows 98

While I could see why you'd be in danger, I don't see how 32MB of data would be beneficial to the hackers...

Spoiler

Joking. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

While I could see why you'd be in danger, I don't see how 32MB of data would be beneficial to the hackers...

Reveal hidden contents

Joking. 

2a5963f485f6386dba4a37093b9c0b51_ouch-burn-meme-memesuper-burn-meme_450-450.png

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Hide contents

Joking. 

I'll have you know we had a Win 98 machine with a 1, 2, and massive 8 GB HDD :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

*laughs in Windows 10 "forced" updates*

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

On 2017-05-19 at 8:47 PM, GoodBytes said:

It was patched! All Windows versions. Vista included. (XP also got the patch but not in advance). Windows 7 got it well over a month in advance. People have Windows Update disabled. I suspect those on Windows 10 who got infected, also disabled Windows Updates in some fashion.

i tend to nuke it with some regestry trickery, as well as most of these "smart" features that fuck up my day like active hours and shit but i tend to update the OS myself from time to time or whenever there is a big secutiry patch. i got the march version as soon as i could for example.

On 2017-05-19 at 8:50 PM, GoodBytes said:

many people follow the "If it works, I don't update" mentality, which is wrong.

this is why i was laughing uncontrolably once this shit hit, knowing it had been patched quite a while back. sure it sucks, but if you dont update to a major security patch then you are just waiting to get rekt.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i wonder how bad china was hit

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

22 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i wonder how bad china was hit

we'll never really know, they are really good at hiding embarrassing tech issues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

we'll never really know, they are really good at hiding embarrassing tech issues.

I heard no computers were infected at all ;)

China PR team.

Just now, leadeater said:

I heard no computers were infected at all ;)

And neither was their bullet train...  or their space program...       Really good at hiding stuff, like the bodies of CIA informants.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/20/2017 at 2:36 AM, NCIX Lampy said:

Any Linux users infected/touched by WannaCry? Or was it just Windows aimed entirely? 

Linux is also vulnerable 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Linux is also vulnerable

-snip-

Your post is misleading.

Wine is vulnerable. A Linux distro not running Wine should be totally safe from infection.

Note: this does not prevent a Linux file server from becoming encrypted by an infected Windows Machine, or from passing infected files to a Windows Machine.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, weed said:

Shit. I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my Desktop and laptop.

If you regularly patch your machine, you should be fine.  You should disable SMBv1 though.  SMBv1 only.  On Windows 8.1 and later, you can completely uninstall SMBv1 quite easily.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your post is misleading.

Wine is vulnerable. A Linux distro not running Wine should be totally safe from infection.

Note: this does not prevent a Linux file server from becoming encrypted by an infected Windows Machine, or from passing infected files to a Windows Machine.

It's worth adding that Samba was/is not vulnerable to the same SMB exploit either, so the only way to get infected on GNU/Linux is if you did these steps:

1) Installed Wine.

2) Manually downloaded WannaCry (it would not spread to the machine automatically).

3) Manually ran WannaCry (it could not execute automatically).

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's worth adding that Samba was/is not vulnerable to the same SMB exploit either, so the only way to get infected on GNU/Linux is if you did these steps:

1) Installed Wine.

2) Manually downloaded WannaCry (it would not spread to the machine automatically).

3) Manually ran WannaCry (it could not execute automatically).

mount home partition with the noexec flag. remove the possibility to get tricked.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 2017-5-19 at 8:28 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

Interesting . Don't know what to make of it though.

there is just one thing to make of it; forced updates works. And the only reason whe hate forced updates is because it breaks shit without warning, especially in business, where software is usually total piece of crap code made by interns 20 years ago.

So people with a 7 year old OS got infected? What a big surprise.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, Prysin said:

there is just one thing to make of it; forced updates works. And the only reason whe hate forced updates is because it breaks shit without warning, especially in business, where software is usually total piece of crap code made by interns 20 years ago.

If a business doesn't have proper backups and images, they aren't doing it right. You can easily revert a machine with an image or System Restore and having your data off-site and on-site is standard operating protocol for any business size. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, Prysin said:

I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Here is another perfectly legitimate explanation.

Home users were protected thanks to things like NAT. If a home users got infected then chances are it would only infect maybe 2-3 computers. Not a big deal when you think of the hundreds of thousands of computers that got infected.

Corporate networks however, where you got a lot of computers, and possibly people leaving/entering the network often, connecting remotely, publicly reachable machines and so on, they were far more vulnerable and contributed a much larger percentage to the total amount of infections.

And what is the most widely used version of Windows for corporations? Windows 7.

So the most popular OS, widely used by the most vulnerable group of computers was the one with most infections. That should not really be a surprise, and it does not have anything to do with forced updates.

Microsoft also claims that Windows 10 was never vulnerable (I have not confirmed this and I would not trust Microsoft on the issue) so if that's true then it had nothing to do with updates.

And on top of all that, companies don't have forced updates. You can turn updates off in the Enterprise version, and they usually run their own WSUS setup.

On 23/05/2017 at 5:37 PM, LAwLz said:

I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Here is another perfectly legitimate explanation.

Home users were protected thanks to things like NAT. If a home users got infected then chances are it would only infect maybe 2-3 computers. Not a big deal when you think of the hundreds of thousands of computers that got infected.

Corporate networks however, where you got a lot of computers, and possibly people leaving/entering the network often, connecting remotely, publicly reachable machines and so on, they were far more vulnerable and contributed a much larger percentage to the total amount of infections.

And what is the most widely used version of Windows for corporations? Windows 7.

So the most popular OS, widely used by the most vulnerable group of computers was the one with most infections. That should not really be a surprise, and it does not have anything to do with forced updates.

Microsoft also claims that Windows 10 was never vulnerable (I have not confirmed this and I would not trust Microsoft on the issue) so if that's true then it had nothing to do with updates.

And on top of all that, companies don't have forced updates. You can turn updates off in the Enterprise version, and they usually run their own WSUS setup.

well technically, W10 wouldnt be vulnerable, because unless you never plugged the PC onto the net, you'd have gotten that update wether you wanted it or not by now.