Near all WannaCry ransomware infected users were running Windows 7

GoodBytes

Kasperky Labs released information it was tracking on the different versions of Windows infected by the large scale distributed ransomware called WannaCry that infected many businesses, hospitals and people a week ago.

Based on their analysis, they found that about 98% of infected users were running Windows 7. Windows 10 and XP users were insignificant. In fact, XP didn't even make the chart, but also its market share is now minimal. Windows 10 has roughly 26% global market share. Windows XP is at ~7%. These market share are from Netmarketshare. That said, Windows 7 is still the most used version of Windows today at 48.5%.

Here is a graph that Kaspky Labs provided:

591f373adc4ce_DAMYyYGWAAADaD9.jpglarge.jpg.7e919db0253e7c77dbfebaf34971f73b.jpg

According to data released today by Kaspersky Lab, roughly 98 percent of the computers affected by the ransomware were running some version of Windows 7, with less than one in a thousand running Windows XP. 2008 R2 Server clients were also hit hard, making up just over 1 percent of infections. Windows 7 is still by far the most common version of Windows, running on roughly four times as many computers as Windows 10 worldwide. Since more recent versions of Windows aren’t vulnerable to WannaCry, it makes sense that most of the infections would hit computers running 7. Still, the stark disparity emphasizes how small of a role Windows XP seems to have played in spreading the infection, despite early concerns about the outdated operating system.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/15665488/wannacry-windows-7-version-xp-patched-victim-statistics

Source 2: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

We can see that Windows 10 forced update seems to be beneficial for its users reducing significantly the risk of infections. Windows 7 users (including companies) seems to not like to update their OS as updates are released, which results in not being protected against critical security threats.

TO BE CLEAR:

The chart says: 98% of those who WHERE affected ran Windows 7, NOT 98% of Windows 7 users are/can be infected. The Ransomware affects all version of Windows. A patch were made before the attack even started and delivered for all version of Windows. If you have Windows 10 not updated at all, day 1 release, you could have been very well infected as much as Windows 7 user with their update also disabled.

Interesting . Don't know what to make of it though.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Shit. I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my Desktop and laptop.

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

If you like how Win 7 looks so you don't upgrade to 10 but at the same time you don't want ransomware then get Vista /s

Any Linux users infected/touched by WannaCry? Or was it just Windows aimed entirely? 

2 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Any Linux users infected/touched by WannaCry?......

aeb3929dd2df95c3eb365f1be8786cf0_what-if

where are the MS haters now?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

6 minutes ago, weed said:

You should be fine, provided you keep everything updated as update comes out. The fix was released for All version of Windows, and when the attack burst out, Microsoft was quick (as humanly possible) to release by exception, out of support, an update for Windows XP.

My Server 2008 R2 wasn't hit. 1% isn't really anything.

The geek himself.

I am curious of anyone on Windows Server 2003 got hit at all.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Oh dear there was absolutely no way for MS to patch critical vulnerability on Windows 7. Better upgrade to Windows 10 guys. See, I was right to shove Win10 and telemetry down your throat.

they did patch it in march

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I don't understand your post. 

Your post sounded very "MS hater"-like. WannaCry was exploiting a Windows security vulnerability. It is made as an exe. So it is Windows only.

That said, Apple and Android users aren't immune by other ransomware, virus, and malware.

Are we sure that Microsoft didn't pay them to make this graph to get more people to upgrade to Windows 10? :ph34r:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

That's very interesting how it's made to look (in this report) as if Windows 7 was the intended target of the attack.

And I wanna be clear, I'm not doubting the validity of this report at all.  Kaspersky has no reason to be bias in any way.

Any conspiracy theorists out there?  Hmm...

CPU:  Intel Core i7 7700K OCed to 5GHz.
Motherboard:  Asus ROG STRIX RGB GAMING Z270E.
RAM:  G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 3200MHz.
GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (Highly Overclocked on LN2 BIOS).
Case:  Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full Tower -- Black.
Storage:  2x Samsung 960 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs (RAID 0), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD, Corsair Voyager GTX 256GB USB 3.0 Rear Flash Drive, Samsung MUF-128DA2/WW USB Type-C 3.1 128GB Rear Flash Drive, (In-Home Router Backup) -- WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable External USB 3.0 HDD.

PSU:  Corsair AX860 Platinum Edition; Fully Modular.
Cooling:   Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler w/ 4x Noctua SSO2 Bearing NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM Fans in Push/Pull Exhaust Configuration; 5x Corsair ML120 Pro LED Blue 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Case Intake Fans; and 1x Corsair ML140 Pro LED Blue 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Rear Exhaust Fan.

Interior Lighting:  2x Corsair Lighting Node Pros -- (Bright White Interior Illumination).
Keyboard:  Tt eSPORTS MEKA G1 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Black Keys.

Mouse:  Razer DeathAdder Chroma - Multi-Color Ergonomic RGB Gaming Mouse (2015 Model).

Sound:  Integrated Sound -- Razer Kraken Pro Headphones w/ Mic -- BOSE Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System.

Monitors:  3x (HP 2511x) 25-Inch LED Monitor--Black.

Wireless Router:  NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000).
Modem:  NETGEAR CM600 24X8 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 Max Download Speeds of 960Mbps -- (ISP-Spectrum).

14 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Seeing how almost every business is still on 7 and large corporations monitor and delay updates for compatibility reasons, this is not surprising. 

Can confirm. Even after the WannaCry news hit, my work couldn't update our servers for about another 24 hours. We had to run emergency backups and also wait until 2:30 AM before restarting servers so as not to disrupt our manufacturing lines.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Oh dear there was absolutely no way for MS to patch critical vulnerability on Windows 7. Better upgrade to Windows 10 guys. See, I was right to shove Win10 and telemetry down your throat.

It was patched! All Windows versions. Vista included. (XP also got the patch but not in advance). Windows 7 got it well over a month in advance. People have Windows Update disabled. I suspect those on Windows 10 who got infected, also disabled Windows Updates in some fashion.

16 minutes ago, weed said:

lel, get rekt? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Just now, jaggysnake57 said:

they did patch it in march

Exactly. So it didn't matter which OS you were running.

But because one OS forces updates on you, and the other leaves the choice to you, let us all jump to conclusions and praise Big Brother for doing What's Best For Us (TM) rather than letting us choose the risks we take and the time to do things like grown ups.

Who cares that this doesn't take into account the pool of potential targets (i.e., market share, but not just in general: market share among institutions worth targeting), etc. The obvious conclusion is that less choice is better, and the less you decide for yourself, the happier you will be.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Are we sure that Microsoft didn't pay them to make this graph to get more people to upgrade to Windows 10? :ph34r:

There is always a rival between Russia and USA even after USSR dissolved and cold war ended

1 minute ago, Iggledude said:

That's very interesting how it's made to look (in this report) as if Windows 7 was the intended target of the attack.

And I wanna be clear, I'm not doubting the validity of this report at all.  Kaspersky has no reason to be bias in any way.

Any conspiracy theorists out there?  Hmm...

Maybe it was targeting Windows 7. It is the most used version of Windows, especially in businesses. Ransomware makers seeks companies more than individuals, as they can pay the big bucks. It takes advantage of the fact that many businesses have poor backup, and system recovery procedures in place, and take advantage of the fact that many businesses and many people follow the "If it works, I don't update" mentality, which is wrong.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Your post sounded very "MS hater"-like. WannaCry was exploiting a Windows security vulnerability. It is made as an exe. So it is Windows only.

That said, Apple and Android users aren't immune by other ransomware, virus, and malware.

Oh. That wasn't the intention. I wasn't aware that it was for Windows only. I knew Windows had a major piece/part in it, but I wasn't sure if that's what it was limited to.