AMD ryzen 80% have 8 working cores

TheNeonWhiteOne

AMD Enjoying High Yields For Zen Based Processors – More Than 80% Of Dies Have All 8 Cores Fully Operational

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-yields-80-all-8-cores-functional/

Spoiler

"According to a report from Bitsandchips.it, they are currently enjoying yields upwards of 80% which basically means that more than 80% of the Zen dies fabricated have all 8 cores fully functional."

Spoiler

"Since the yields are above 80%, this means that the company will be able to increase in profits in two ways: either by decreasing the ASP (Average Selling Price) of the derivative products and shipping more volume and therefore larger profit, or, by simply increasing its profit margin on the products and keeping price the same. Looking at AMD’s core philosophy however, we may expect the silicon giant to go with the former approach and drop ASP all round. This means that products such as Naples which employ more than 1 core will also see a proportional ASP drop."

It would be nice if amd lowers ryzen prices. But mostly I am wondering how possible it would be to enable the disabled cores in r5s that would essentially turn them into an r7s. like enabling the extra 4gb in 4gb rx 480s or turning a 480 into a 580. Would it be possible and if so how would it be done.

Regarding the 480 to 580 bios flash, I'm pretty sure you don't gain 4gb's of VRAM from it if you start with a 4gb 480.

Misread that actually. I believe only early 4gb 480's actually have 8gb's on them, newer ones will only have 4gb.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Regarding the 480 to 580 bios flash, I'm pretty sure you don't gain 4gb's of VRAM from it if you start with a 4gb 480.

i meant the 480 flashing as two separate examples. 

Just now, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

i meant the 480 flashing as two separate examples. 

I re-read it after :P edited it now

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

well i know the old am3 athlons/phenoms could unclock cores(or at least cache) so that option isn't off the table yet, here's to hoping we get more free goodies with the ryzen :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

good . Amd needs the cash flow and a low yielding chip isn't a good way to achieve that.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

Hide contents

"Since the yields are above 80%, this means that the company will be able to increase in profits in two ways: either by decreasing the ASP (Average Selling Price) of the derivative products and shipping more volume and therefore larger profit, or, by simply increasing its profit margin on the products and keeping price the same. Looking at AMD’s core philosophy however, we may expect the silicon giant to go with the former approach and drop ASP all round. This means that products such as Naples which employ more than 1 core will also see a proportional ASP drop."

It's not so simple, though. Low enough yields would make the 8-core parts more expensive to produce, and could lead to higher prices or lower margins. However, as long as they have enough 8-core dies to meet demand at the optimal markup, it doesn't make a difference for AMD whether the 6-core and 4-core parts have dead cores or artificially disabled ones.

Of course, higher yields are always better because it gives them flexibility, but what I'm saying is that it does not need to translate linearly, if at all, into prices and profits.

With that said, I could see this being very relevant for their position in the server market.

28 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Partly explains the late Ryzen 3 launch: they don't have enough bad chips to make it feasible to launch.

25 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Their shill level is not high enough to break out the laser cutter

The Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 are made out of 2 CCX (core complex) , basically 2 modules of 4 cores each.  The six core chips have one core of each core complex disabled.

The Ryzen 3 will most likely be made using just ONE core complex and maybe with less amount of Level 3 cache , and with all four cores enabled, because taking out one core complex and some memory would make them much smaller in area, and being so much smaller in surface area more of them would fit into a round 20-30cm silicon wafer and therefore they'd be more profitable to make.

it simply takes 6-8 months for a silicon chip that's physically different than previous chips (the ones with 2 core complexes) to go through the manufacturing process, to be packaged in the form you're used to and then have different firmware (microcode) written for it (has to be different because there's only one core complex instead of two, and the caches would also work slightly differently because of this and so on).

From this version with only one core complex and a maximum of 4 cores, they may make 3 core and 2 core processors (for the very cheapest models).

The most perfect chips from this production (the ones that can reach high frequencies at very low voltages may also be set aside to be made into laptop processors, because they'd be the most power efficient.

So because a part of the production is set aside , it may explain why they have to delay and make stock of these processors. Keep in mind that these will also be the most volume, they'll sell A LOT of them but with small profits per unit.

12 hours ago, Valentyn said:

It's due to their multi-CCX design that allows lovely high yields, and why they can push out this beauty.

ya the CCX design is going to allow them to price the threadripper and epyc very competitively with out losing cost on yield issues. this is more of a reason why we might not see high premiums on threadripper and epyc to the degree of what intel would do.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

It's due to their multi-CCX design that allows lovely high yields, and why they can push out this beauty.

I have to say... That looks good.

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Partly explains the late Ryzen 3 launch: they don't have enough bad chips to make it feasible to launch.

AMD could just as easily disable the cores themselves . they don't need to wait for defective chips . 

Plus , they already have quad core parts on the market . SMT itself barely affects yields .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Sounds like a screen tearing nightmare lol. You must have a free-sync monitor... 

Speaking of which I just realized I bought a 980 ti and have a 4k monitor that has freesync :(

if the fps is high enough theres little to no tearing as the differences between frames are really small

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I have to say... That looks good.

I know right! To think each of those is a R7 1700 essentially, all working together with Infinity Fabric.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

I know right! To think each of those is a R7 1700 essentially, all working together with Infinity Fabric.

AMD has come far since the days of the fx 8150

now all they need to do is optimize for high clocks and destroy ntel again in the next generation ( and through in 2 more dies on the server chip just to make fun of them)

They are starting do the exact same thing that IBM was doing with its MCMs.

About the same size too. Pretty soon we will end up with this again.

image.jpg.4b633b5f52fb3e893805999ee39c2d8b.jpg

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

They are starting do the exact same thing that IBM was doing with its MCMs.

About the same size too.

next big thing?..... stacked processors, ahaha bring the ccx skyscraper 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

We are gonna have to upsize motherboards before we have sockets like this.

image.jpg.0a2a85f4b15f221d2307ba76baf7046b.jpg

10 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

We are gonna have to upsize motherboards before we have sockets like this.

BRing IT, le me likes it!!

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

that actually is the likely next step . It's already happening with dram ( hbm)

stacked IC's would allow us to mitigate the slowing down of moore's law by increasing transistor density without decreasing feature size.

Problem is power and heat going through multiple chips . Works well with low power RAM , but not with high power ASIC's.

They can probably hold on to most unused stock for next gen, rebrand them as 2600 and have the 2700 and 2800 be 10 core parts or the higher frequencies or whatever with the refined process.

This is good it means we'll probably have 8 cores much cheaper at one point not too far in the future.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

stacked IC's would allow us to mitigate the slowing down of moore's law by increasing transistor density without decreasing feature size.

Problem is power and heat going through multiple chips . Works well with low power RAM , but not with high power ASIC's.

ya, thats my concern too :-|, we will find a way,

Just now, cj09beira said:

BRing IT, le me likes it!!

Till you get the power bill lol

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Considering even at 22nm those MCMs draw a lot of power.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

They can probably hold on to most unused stock for next gen, rebrand them as 2600 and have the 2700 and 2800 be 10 core parts or the higher frequencies or whatever with the refined process.

This is good it means we'll probably have 8 cores much cheaper at one point not too far in the future.

Aye, it seems the 7nm process GloFo will be using from next year onwards was actually developed by IBM; so it should hopefully be really good as well.

That's if GloFo doesn't pull a GloFo and deliver a slightly inferior version :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q