Xaryon

PS purchase - advise required

Don't bother with the original fat PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility since a majority of the hardware is emulated in the EU models and there are games that don't work (like with PC emulation as I've had disc based games fail to boot) plus they'll be more at risk to the RLOD.

You should get a PS2 and a PS3 slim as that gives you 100% compatibility.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone,

I have many games for PS2 and PS3 platforms and for nostalgia reasons I'd like to purchase a console(s) to play them. However, I'm not sure which exact model should I buy:

- a launch PS3 Fat for most features (including PS2 support) and the looks (I think Fat version looked the best imho)

- a PS3 Slim (not Super Slim, I hate that optical drive mechanism) and a PS2 (pref. Fat one)

What would be better?

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: MSI H61m-P20 (g3) | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 760 OC 3x Windforce @ 1306MHz | PSU: Corsair VS Series 550W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Displays: Benq GW 2255 | Case: SilentiumPC Alea M50 Pure Black

I was in a similar situation a few months back and opted to go with a 60GB PS3. I've got very limited shelf space and I've consolidated my consoles as much as I can. 

The only downside to the launch model PS3's is that, like launch model 360's, they're on a limited shelf life and will YLOD at some point. More maintance is required to keep them going.

11 minutes ago, linkboy said:

I was in a similar situation a few months back and opted to go with a 60GB PS3. I've got very limited shelf space and I've consolidated my consoles as much as I can. 

The only downside to the launch model PS3's is that, like launch model 360's, they're on a limited shelf life and will YLOD at some point. More maintance is required to keep them going.

If you look after them, or in this case the previous owner has looked after them enough, they won't need maintenance to be honest. I'm still using an Xbox 360 arcade that i got about 9 years ago, its starting to get a bit loud now but other than that it works perfect :P 

PC Setup - CPU Ryzen 1600 GPU XFX GTR RX480 8GB MOBO Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD PSU Corsair CX750M Cooling Stock cooler(Until I can get a Kraken x62 ordered) Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard Generic eBay C**p  Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p Freesync)

Other - Console Xbox 360 Arcade(9 Years Old) Phone OnePlus 3T 128GB in Gunmetal

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

If you look after them, or in this case the previous owner has looked after them enough, they won't need maintenance to be honest. I'm still using an Xbox 360 arcade that i got about 9 years ago, its starting to get a bit loud now but other than that it works perfect :P 

True, my 20GB was still a rock solid machine when my ex and I separated.

The issue is since all of these systems are used (and about a decade old), it's hard to know if the previous owner(s) took good care of them.

http://wololo.net/2013/07/29/are-backwards-compatible-ps3s-a-timebomb-guide-to-taking-good-care-of-your-system/

I would go with option #2. The PS3 versions that had hardware backwards compatibility with the PS2 use a lot of power (much more than the PS3s that came out only a couple of years later) and are thus less reliable on average. I guess you could always get one of the late model fat PS3 if you like the look. I have the CECHP01 model from late 2008 and that one looks like the original (except without the chrome and card reader slots) but uses smaller lithography (eg 60 nm vs 90 nm on both the Cell and the RSX) and thus a lot less power. I think the Slims all use 45 nm lithography though so they're more power efficient than any of the fats.

Of course with option #2 you can't output to HDMI (without buying some kind of converter) nor use a wireless controller.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I would go with option #2. The PS3 versions that had hardware backwards compatibility with the PS2 use a lot of power (much more than the PS3s that came out only a couple of years later) and are thus less reliable on average. I guess you could always get one of the late model fat PS3 if you like the look. I have the CECHP01 model from late 2008 and that one looks like the original (except without the chrome and card reader slots) but uses smaller lithography (eg 60 nm vs 90 nm on both the Cell and the RSX) and thus a lot less power. I think the Slims all use 45 nm lithography though so they're more power efficient than any of the fats.

Of course with option #2 you can't output to HDMI (without buying some kind of converter) nor use a wireless controller.

What do you mean that I can't output to HDMI or use a wireless controller? i used to own a PS3 Slim and I had it hooked up to my TV via HDMI and I use wireless sixaxiss controller just fine. Do you mentioned that regarding the PS2 part of my question?

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: MSI H61m-P20 (g3) | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 760 OC 3x Windforce @ 1306MHz | PSU: Corsair VS Series 550W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Displays: Benq GW 2255 | Case: SilentiumPC Alea M50 Pure Black

43 minutes ago, Xaryon said:

What do you mean that I can't output to HDMI or use a wireless controller? i used to own a PS3 Slim and I had it hooked up to my TV via HDMI and I use wireless sixaxiss controller just fine. Do you mentioned that regarding the PS2 part of my question?

I mean the PS2 doesn't have HDMI output and the controller is wired.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

26 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I mean the PS2 doesn't have HDMI output and the controller is wired.

Ah, yes, so I guessed right :) It doesn't bother me that much, the shelf space isn't a problem too.

Posted · Best Answer

Don't bother with the original fat PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility since a majority of the hardware is emulated in the EU models and there are games that don't work (like with PC emulation as I've had disc based games fail to boot) plus they'll be more at risk to the RLOD.

You should get a PS2 and a PS3 slim as that gives you 100% compatibility.

Hello! I wouldn't recommend the PS3 launch model, even if the native PS2 support is important for you, because the internal components are pretty aged by now, and those consoles are prone to fail. Of course PS3 fat seems a good option to get a two-generation powerhouse + Blu Ray player, but paying for one and having it to die is something You don't want to experience. And difference between built in PS2 Emotion Engine and emulation would be small, if any, so you wouldn't even be able to tell. In conclusion: choose whatever console has a good price, but keep in mind that slim models will be less likely to have issues since they are simplified, and also much newer.

Have a good luck on gaming the hell out of it! :)

Unless you can find a fat backwards compatible PS3 that's brand new and are willing to shell out a small fortune for it, it's easier on the wallet to go with the PS3 Slim and PS2 combo.  Not to mention the PS3 systems produced early on were more susceptible to hardware problems than later models.  I've had my PS3 slim system for about 6 years and haven't had an issue yet.

On 21.05.2017 at 0:03 AM, SandmanLV said:

Hello! I wouldn't recommend the PS3 launch model, even if the native PS2 support is important for you, because the internal components are pretty aged by now, and those consoles are prone to fail. Of course PS3 fat seems a good option to get a two-generation powerhouse + Blu Ray player, but paying for one and having it to die is something You don't want to experience. And difference between built in PS2 Emotion Engine and emulation would be small, if any, so you wouldn't even be able to tell. In conclusion: choose whatever console has a good price, but keep in mind that slim models will be less likely to have issues since they are simplified, and also much newer.

Have a good luck on gaming the hell out of it! :)

Will do!

18 minutes ago, sglowats said:

Unless you can find a fat backwards compatible PS3 that's brand new and are willing to shell out a small fortune for it, it's easier on the wallet to go with the PS3 Slim and PS2 combo.  Not to mention the PS3 systems produced early on were more susceptible to hardware problems than later models.  I've had my PS3 slim system for about 6 years and haven't had an issue yet.

Well, my problem solved itself. On the polish equivalent to craigslist, someone was selling "potentially broken PS3 Super Slim" - guy said that he didn't have time and means to check if it's working or not, so he's been selling it for 70 PLN (that's roughly $17). No gamepad, but that's not an issue. So I bought it - turns out, that the only thing this console was missing was a drive and a drive cage, which has been already bought. The device itself works perfectly. Now that's what I'm calling a score :D