Applicants? Coding Projects?

rsethc
Go to solution Solved by sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ,

?

So I just was watching last week's WAN Show archived on YouTube and heard this about some kind of applicants, I assume to work at LMG, and something about coding projects. I am wondering what this is all about, since I'm an amateur software developer and would certainly be interested in some kind of competition. Anyone know exactly what they are talking about in that snippet? The YouTube link goes directly to the time 1:09:01 which is about where they are discussing this.

My apologies if this is not in the right section, I am quite new to the forum.

3 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

If I heard that correctly, they're expecting somebody to spend a weekend working on a 'screening' project before they receive an interview? I hope they're able to find good applicants but that's a big time commitment.

Building a "demo" project for a software developer position is very common. If I understood that correctly they are looking for a professional Backend (maybe Fullstack?) developer to build their own video platform. But I think you misunderstood Luke. The Coding challenge was a few weeks long and got to and end this week. 

I'm not sure exactly what the project in question even is though. Maybe it's more akin to a Google Code Jam problem, designed to test the candidate's abilities to come up with efficient and reliable algorithms. If anyone - presumably applicants or someone already working at LMG - knows what the actual task was (and you're not under an NDA - don't violate that if you are!) I'm really curious to hear the details of what you were asked to do.

21 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

If I heard that correctly, they're expecting somebody to spend a weekend working on a 'screening' project before they receive an interview? I hope they're able to find good applicants but that's a big time commitment.

Wow I'm stupid, I just now realized that there was a video you were linking to... Thanks for posting it, it helps clear up some of the confusion. But I am still quite curious as to the actual challenge given to the applicants.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

Sure, building a demo might be common, but these things need to be time boxed because otherwise it's just not realistic to do a good review on large projects. You can't expect people—especially talented people—to do several days worth of work for free. Looking for a large project from would-be applicants all but guarantees you're only getting people you probably don't want because they have nothing better to do. A couple of hours for a junior candidate: fine! but pushing for much more than that seems like a terrible idea. When you start looking for more senior/experienced people—and it sounds like they probably want somebody who wouldn't be considered 'junior' at my current company—these sorts of tests are of really questionable value. I understand why some people like them, especially if they don't have the resources a large company does to attract good candidates, but I'm not convinced they're a good use of anybody's time for the results they produce.

I used to work at one of the 'big' tech companies: famous for a video platform, cloud computing, consumer software/devices, etc. The entire hiring process from first contact with a recruiter to hired; including the round-trip flight, touristing San Jose / Palo Alto, meals with future co-workers, and a notorious day-long interview gauntlet. All totalled that burned up 3 days worth of time over 6 or 7 weeks. Without meaning to be disrespectful, I think these videos make it sound like they're looking for a lot more work for a chance at a considerably less prestigious position.

If this 'do a big project and try to impress us' approach works for them, great! But I've seen this strategy work really well to scare away good candidates and isn't great at keeping out the determined buffoon.

I think you're misunderstanding the process, and they absolutely can expect people to spend that kind of time precisely because they AREN'T looking for an "average" set of candidates.  If you want to get in on a startup project like this that is already functioning with a company that has the kind of reputation and stability of LTT then you better expect to spend some personal time outside of work proving you have the chops.

Also, my understanding is that only the SELECTED APPLICANTS from the resume review were chosen to complete the coding challenge.  It wasn't an open invitation, you had to be selected by Luke based on your resume/application.  So it's no different than a code challenge for a major company, and given the desirability of working for LTT I'd say it's completely reasonable.

Heck, when I was interviewing for jobs last fall I spent several days being flown around and doing all-day interviews for prospective companies.  It happens, and candidates who are open to relocation won't bat an eye at that sort of thing.  I mean what if you needed a certification for a job and had to spend potentially weeks studying for it?  How is a coding challenge hard to make time for?