[Guide] How to increase FPS in Minecraft for Free

Note:This is my first guide on this forum so sorry if I said anything wrong.This will only from computers capable of alteast opening the game and play or just open the game to being able to play it smoothly .

WARNING:If anything breaks,or goes wrong,i am not responsible since you were the one who did it

Welcome to this guide everybody,today I am going to show how to increase FPS in Minecraft,this is a easy step by step guide,and does not need a lot of work to be done,and in some cases,it doubles the FPS

Note:This guide will work on either premium or cracked Minecraft and will work Windows,MacOS ,Linux.It is easiest on Windows,but on Linux,it gets the most FPS.This guide will work from Minecraft 1.7.2 and above,if you play a older version of Minecraft,then you can still increase FPS,but not as much as 1.7.2 and above.This will work on both old and new computers but has most effect in the game on older systems,new systems may also have effect but it might not be huge or might not be noticable

Step 1: Reinstall Minecraft: by going to Run by pressing Start+D and type %appdata% and deleting the .minecraft folder or renaming it to something else and download the game again [if  want to revert later ,rename it to something else,rather deleting it,so the game has to download .minecraft AGAIN and be faster),this is one of the most effective ways of increasing FPS,since when it is full of unnecessary files it has to load like game saves,log files,etc.This step can be skipped,or you can delete unnecessary files in the .minecraft folder without having to lose ANYTHING

WARNING:This will delete everything if you decide to delete the .minecraft folder or rename it (renaming it wont lose data but you wont be able to see the game files unless you rename the original game folder back to .minecraft,if not  the singleplayer game saves,any modifications and the server ip's and the entire game stuff is gone,so back the game up if anything does wrong,since you will have to download the 145 MB of the entire game,so do it if you want to.

Step 2:Update Java:This is not that effective but still increases FPS by a small margin,go to https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the latest version for your os [If your OS is 64-Bit

then download 64 bit] go 64 bit [If you have a 64-bit os] and 32-bit (If you have a 32-bit os  or 64 bit os and a 32-bit browser) so the game can take advantage of 64-Bit Java [Do not use the in-built Java from the Minecraft launcher since that is a old version and change the java to the latest one.

You cannot install 64-bit Java on a 32-Bit OS but you can install 32-bit Java on a 64-bit os

Step 3:Update your Graphics Drivers:Even though Minecraft is CPU intensive,you cant play it with a i7 and a Voodo (means you cannot play it with a very new CPU and GPU)but sometimes,graphics driver updates can really increase the FPS in the game,so download a free utility called GPU-Z and see what Graphics Card you have and go to their website (eg:www.amd.com) Note for nVidia and intel users that the driver download page is www.geforce.com and for intel,it is downloadcenter.intel.com.Download the latest drivers for your Graphics/Video card and play Minecraft,it should give more FPS. 

Step 4:Install Optifine:Optifine is a Mod that adds some more video settings the game,this is one of the most effective things to do, go to optifine.net/downloads and download the latest version for your Minecraft version and you need to run the original game version alteast once.When download is done run the file [For Linux or possibly Mac users,go to Terminal and type cd [which directory or path the file was saved to] and type java -jar [file name] ].When it is done,it should create a profile in your Minecraft Launcher called "Optifine" and click "Play",then it should start the game with the Mod and go to "Options" then "Video Settings" and you should see a LOT new ones,for oldcomputers,go to each sub menu and set them to "Off" and "Fast" (depending on what option it gives you).This part is done,on new computers which can aleast run vanilla minecraft (normal Minecraft) at 30 FPS,you can choose what to choose.Changing the settings might effect in looks,but the human eye cant see a huge difference.Go to Performace and change the chunk updates to 3 (which balances the fps and world loading speed) and enable Smooth World and Smooth FPS.

Step 5:Allocate More RAM:Minecraft by default sets the ram to be allocated by the game is 1 GB,if your computer has more ram than 1 GB (eg:4 GB or 2 GB) allocate it some more but do not allocate full ram.Go to your launcher,go to Edit Profile (choose Optifine) and in newer Launcher  (premium launcher) go to Launcher options and go to JVM arguments and click the checkbox and check it and clear the box and type -Xmx2G (G is gigabyte and MB is Megabye in this) and replace the 1G in -Xmx1G with a higher number so it has more ram allocated and Click "Save" and start the game

TIP:Run Minecraft in a Window for MUCH Better FPS and do not run anything else while running Minecraft (eg:Google Chrome) since it will impact the CPU and RAM more since it has to multitask (Do this on older systems,sine that is really where it helps)

Done ! Now You can enjoy playing Minecraft with better FPS

Hope you enjoy playing Minecraft/continue to enjoy playing Minecraft

And at last

Have a nice day

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Even a toaster like my laptop can run minecraft and you don't really need to allocate ram if you aren't playing a modpack. 

EDIT: Also, you cannot really break your computer or minecraft by updating java, allocating ram or installing optifine...

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

You warning should be before the actual step ... some people will do the step before there fully read the whole sentence. I mean i simple fix is to turn down draw distances and run it lower resolution, giving above 1.5GB of ram won't help it unless you're modding. Even than i don't see pass 1.2gb of minecraft usages on a large server or map.

You could add another step such as  to add update your driver and best to have close chrome tab that is open if you have weak cpu. Personally cleaning your .minecraft doesn't help anything on most modern machines, someone people have tones of profile for different version or modded games etc. 

Another advise split up your steps into sub steps, it makes the reading more pleasant. 

2/10 - I won't try unless you want to add all your server list and modded minecraft version back. If you can't run minecraft you should consider an upgrade. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

You warning should be before the actual step ... some people will do the step before there fully read the whole sentence. I mean i simple fix is to turn down draw distances and run it longer resolution, giving above 2GB of ram won't help it unless you're modding. Even than i don't see pass 1.2gb of minecraft usages on a large server or map.

You could add another step such as  to add update your driver and best to have any chrome tab open if you have weak cpu. Personally cleaning your .minecraft doesn't help anything on most modern machines, someone people have tones of profile for different version or modded games etc. 

Another advise split up your steps into sub steps, it makes the reading more pleasant. 

minecraft does for me more 1 GB so I usually allocate atleast 2GB on all my systems atleast having 4 or 3 GB RAM

Oh thanks,forgot about the driver,though cleaning up .minecraft on my semi modern Acer Travelmate 8472 made a massive improvemnet (actually not,i deleted .minecraft and build up from scratch)

Spliiting it would make it too long to scroll,for me,i find it pleasant to read,if everyone wants me to do that,i definately will

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

4 minutes ago, Underi said:

Even a toaster like my laptop can run minecraft and you don't really need to allocate ram if you aren't playing a modpack. 

U do,my ThinkPad R61 laptop struggles with 1 GB Ram and minecraft,while a little newer i5 560 M acer travelmate does well with 2 gb ram,ik that minecraft is CPU intensive but my C2D rig can play minecraft smooth 40 FPS with 3 GB Ram and Linux

I uninstalled everything on my pc besides windows

and now everything is faster, gmod is 10x faster,

minecraft is really good and my pc is overall nice

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

2 minutes ago, ItsJoshuaS said:

I uninstalled everything on my pc besides windows

and now everything is faster, gmod is 10x faster,

minecraft is really good and my pc is overall nice

Nice,enjoy

well installing Optifine will boost the FPS seeing as thats what it does, du

27 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Changing the settings might effect in looks,but the human eye cant see a huge difference

yes it will, sure its still MC but its noticable.

15 minutes ago, Underi said:

EDIT: Also, you cannot really break your computer or minecraft by updating java, allocating ram or installing optifine...

oiiiii dont look down on toasters :P 

also over with over 3.5GB of RAM alocated and MC tends to tank the FPS pretty hard

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

You warning should be before the actual step ... some people will do the step before there fully read the whole sentence.

2/10 - I won't try unless you want to add all your server list and modded minecraft version back. If you can't run minecraft you should consider an upgrade. 

1.I have already noted that i am not responisble for anything breaking

2.That is not always the case,my Lenovo ThinkPad R61 is below the minimum requirements and im surprised it can even play the game at 20 FPS

I've seen people like Druaga1 on youtube run Minecraft on a Athlon XP 1700+

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

also over with over 3.5GB of RAM alocated and MC tends to tank the FPS pretty hard

That is because your CPU is way too much bottlenecked (probably) or the settings are set  to fancy which tends to use more CPU horsepower and ram,and you might be doing more intensive stuff as well.Like loading a huge server,etc

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

That is because your CPU is way too much bottlenecked (probably) or the settings are set  to fancy which tends to use more CPU horsepower and ram,and you might be doing more intensive stuff as well.Like loading a huge server,etc

yes because an I5 4690K clocked at 4.7GHz is a massive bottleneck here -_- no matter what settings, what resolution and so on has not mattered in my personal testing, with over 3.5GB of alocated RAM the fps wont increase, so you should only go above 3.5GB if you are doing heavy modding and you are hitting your RAM limit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

[Guide] How to increase FPS in Minecraft for Free

Would be weird if you asked money hehe

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes because an I5 4690K clocked at 4.7GHz is a massive bottleneck here -_- no matter what settings, what resolution and so on has not mattered in my personal testing, with over 3.5GB of alocated RAM the fps wont increase, so you should only go above 3.5GB if you are doing heavy modding and you are hitting your RAM limit

i said (probably) and try running in windowed mode.I'm currenlty using a i5 3360M laptop with 4 GB Ram,intel HD Graphics and i allocated 2 GB Ram and  with optifine and huge difference,doesnt ever go below 60 FPS (that also in fullscreen) and max is 144 while playing online

1 minute ago, p.klokgieter said:

What about buying a new computer,would'nt that be free?

Than it's not a guide on how to improve fps anymore. Than it's "best PC to play minecraft" guide. 

That's generally the most reliable option though. My old laptop could barely run things like League of Legends and Minecraft. It was time to replace that thing a long time ago though.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

30 minutes ago, Underi said:

Modded Minecraft is all the fun though.... Though any kitchen sink pack will require 4.5GBs allocated for 1.10.2 and even then 5-6 is optimal...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

iv seen videos on youtube that show not much return after 4GB of RAM on stock minecraft

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

2 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

Than it's not a guide on how to improve fps anymore. Than it's "best PC to play minecraft" guide. 

Isnt this a guide on increasing FPS on minecraft including buying a new computer?

http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/ultimate-minecraft-fps-increase-guide.40681/

How about redstone tick delay problem?

My not-so-old Lenovo G40-80 with an i3 5010U CPU and 8GB RAM with integrated graphics plays stock minecraft at 60FPS with graphics settings turned down in SERVERS. When I start a single player game though, nothing weird happens, but the "console" shows that I'm running thousands of redstone ticks behind. Any solution to that?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

How about redstone tick delay problem?

My not-so-old Lenovo G40-80 with an i3 5010U CPU and 8GB RAM with integrated graphics plays stock minecraft at 60FPS with graphics settings turned down in SERVERS. When I start a single player game though, nothing weird happens, but the "console" shows that I'm running thousands of redstone ticks behind. Any solution to that?

Which console,development console in launcher? that might be something like a bug in the version of minecraft since that is a wierd thing,maybe it is counting it as generating the world?

7 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Isnt this a guide on increasing FPS on minecraft including buying a new computer?

http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/ultimate-minecraft-fps-increase-guide.40681/

Buying a better PC is not a guide. Might be a guide on how to choose the best PC, but saying buy a new PC for minecraft isn't a option in a increase FPS guide. Or well it is, but makes no sense if you ask me. As that's not really a how-to. It's common sense that if your PC is a toaster and you want to run games you buy a new one. So even if it's in that link you send me, still makes no sense. Also that guide doesn't see it's for free. Yours does. 

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Which console,development console in launcher? that might be something like a bug in the version of minecraft since that is a wierd thing,maybe it is counting it as generating the world?

Happens from the start of the game till I leave the game. When it gets so bad that it skipped more than 30,000 ticks, it can really feel like a lag spike in multiplayer. Game version is 1.7.10 when I experienced that and is also when I swear that I will never play MC until I get a proper PC, like the one I have now

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

16 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Modded Minecraft is all the fun though.... Though any kitchen sink pack will require 4.5GBs allocated for 1.10.2 and even then 5-6 is optimal...

beyond 1.8.9 is just shit IMO. 1.8.9 was the last properly good version. sure there are some really nice features in the latest versions but they aint for me.

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, p.klokgieter said:

Buying a better PC is not a guide. Might be a guide on how to choose the best PC, but saying buy a new PC for minecraft isn't a option in a increase FPS guide. Or well it is, but makes no sense if you ask me. As that's not really a how-to. It's common sense that if your PC is a toaster and you want to run games you buy a new one. So even if it's in that link you send me, still makes no sense. Also that guide doesn't see it's for free. Yours does. 

Its not my fault,it's the fault of the person who wrote "Buy a Better PC" in his guide