[Sponsored] --- "TEARS IN RAIN" --- (Blade Runner inspired Threadripper, Parvum build)

qYHG36qh.png

All, it's been a while. After a very tough couple of years filled with loss among other things, I'm back with a new idea, and build... This one is inspired by the world Blade Runner. With the new film, Blade Runner 2049 on the horizon, and the original as one of my favorite movies of all time, I was struck recently with inspiration. More on that below. I have every intention of this being the best build I've ever done, as well as the case by the legendary Parvum Systems being the most ambitious, and unique thing they've ever done for someone. Also I will make sure the content is also the best I've ever done, with new ideas for video and photo work, beginning with the inspiration video below. I'm starting this build log from the very beginning, directly after having the idea. Currently I am designing the case and will have updates soon.

nlu0waIh.jpg

I want to kick this build off a little differently... I've made a video below to provide a visual of what was going through my mind when I was inspired to do this build. Recently I was out for a jog and I was listening to a song by Fred V and Grafix called 'Bladerunner'. I've loved the song for a while and it's sci-fi sound is very reminiscent of the movie 'Blade Runner' it was obviously inspired by. Well as I was listening to the song, also having recently seen the trailer for 'Blade Runner 2049', I started seeing images in my head from the movies, visualizing the atmosphere and world of Blade Runner. I listened to the song several times in a row, seeing various scenes from the original film and the trailer from the new one. I kept visualizing world and city nightscape... Then it struck me - with the new film on the horizon I have to do a build inspired by the world of Blade Runner... I spent several, several hours creating the video below, using the same song and using various scenes from the movies to try and give you insight to the inspiration that washed over me. To the best of my memory and ability, the video below represents what I saw in my head that day. Hope you enjoy.

yC1HfPVh.jpg

Main Components:

Case - Parvum Systems L1.0 (Highly Customized)
CPU - AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard - Asus Zenith Extreme
Memory - 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz
GPU's - 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
SSD - 2 x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
HDD - 2 x Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10tb
PSU - SeaSonic 1200w Platinum SS- 1200XP3

Watercooling Components:

CPU Block - Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO Threadripper
GPU Block's - 2 x Watercool Heatkiller IV, Acryl Ni-Bl + Backplates
Radiators - 2 x EK Coolstream PE 240mm, 1 x EK 360mm
Pump - 2 x Swiftech MCP35X
Pump Tops - 2 x Watercool DDC Case LT
Fittings - Bitspower Black Sparkle (Various, C47 Tube Connectors)
Tubing - Bitspower Brass Link 12mm OD, Black Sparkle
Coolant - Mayhems Aurora (2 Colors, Undecided)

Miscellaneous:

Lighting - Darkiside RGB Connect Strips
Fans - 9 x Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Tt Premium Edition 120mm
Cables - Ensourced Custom Sleeved Cables

Built-in Display - Kuman 7 Inch Capacitive Touch Screen

*BUILD FINISHIED, FINAL VIDEO BELOW!*

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

that case itself got you a follow. Can't wait to see how it ends!

Posts about Blade Runner, has RoboCop for avatar...

Spoiler

Interested and following.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

"Main Components" is now updated on the first page :thumb:

Went back and forth with myself for quite some time over the processor, it came down to the Ryzen 1800x and the 7700K. I ended up choosing the 7700K solely because of the Gaming 9 motherboard. It's too perfect for the build. There's a similar one for the Ryzen but not quite as feature filled, particularly with the lighting zone configuration and lighting is an important feature of this build; the Blade Runner world is filled with neon hues. Of course, my implementation of lighting will be very TASTEFUL and relevant to the subject matter.

Most main components will arrive soon and I will do my obligatory photoshoot and first update :D

Quick update: Things are moving along, lots of components inbound and I finished my rough design of the case and sent to Parvum.... Rest assured t's going to be mental :D

Happy Thursday.... Various components updated on front page :)

fzmkFQjh.jpg

Below is the first actual content update of this build... The Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 Motherboard... Much more to come this week :)

Video:

Photos:

5Yv9zUYh.jpg

avEFQVLh.jpg

h4Js7xQh.jpg

cJinpJoh.jpg

j3izjMjh.jpg

EWXlXaOh.jpg

iHW4gMDh.jpg

3oR1ZQYh.jpg

vN1UJ5rh.jpg

6H2aZqDh.jpg

9T5ERE3h.jpg

p73GeMvh.jpg

4zhHsQwh.jpg

8ugt5wyh.jpg

lQ8pVMUh.jpg

Mfs1R5Eh.jpg

yrzYI6lh.jpg

OqKFXbJh.jpg

zkOUCy2h.jpg

69PHpdmh.jpg

ywszqhrh.jpg

kdUlf6Sh.jpg

HLHCWVGh.jpg

CKYR6RMh.jpg

X7MJ4dBh.jpg

KkzRHYvh.jpg

yhl8q4Xh.jpg

CizzZNZh.jpg

e34CI0Qh.jpg

STPIYDHh.jpg

5k0wmdBh.jpg

8Fv1MZMh.jpg

i2dyApZh.jpg

fzmkFQjh.jpg

Here are some more components for the build; Intel 7700K, Samsung 960 EVO M.2, G.Skill Trident Z RGB, and the Seasonic Platinum PSU... I have received a lot more stuff too, so more to come :thumb:

Video:

Photos:

AKGv61ih.jpg

qTWypH8h.jpg

fLXopskh.jpg

zFaLTwph.jpg

rLOvV0gh.jpg

ws15r3hh.jpg

9izIyjbh.jpg

gbTCUDYh.jpg

ES9RMzrh.jpg

IT7utkIh.jpg

WFeEMFch.jpg

4lRZR7Zh.jpg

nQmfzgIh.jpg

MSeK9P0h.jpg

xzhNwunh.jpg

1lDdfeOh.jpg

W9REM2kh.jpg

GTfPpYbh.jpg

B5a8MGrh.jpg

pxwgvlBh.jpg

q7pLSnfh.jpg

68z8on9h.jpg

jm7uBaXh.jpg

7KjNBiLh.jpg

1gtqAmuh.jpg

Mooooooore components for the build... Went with Zotac on the GPU's because, well, it seems like I never see them. I really dig the box, colors, design, and packaging quality in person. Also here's the wee little screen that will be implemented into the case... Much more on that to come. I also hooked everything up, tested, and installed the OS :)

I'm also pleased to announce that Watercool will be joining this project with their Heatkiller blocks, the finest looking blocks on the market right now!

Video:

Photos:

sw60KUph.jpg

bZ7nqNth.jpg

WEXTcP5h.jpg

dGJEXNDh.jpg

gbvFRrih.jpg

bYROEWCh.jpg

9RfDQNhh.jpg

E1jRPsdh.jpg

KJhJl8ph.jpg

xJLx8CHh.jpg

6mCnxODh.jpg

wNWOaCWh.jpg

DF1wPoOh.jpg

kf1yuZ1h.jpg

cazfZqSh.jpg

i5W3iR2h.jpg

yGm0gJuh.jpg

wGsbd8Th.jpg

osdb5Bsh.jpg

8QRFLQfh.jpg

Aannnd, in case anyone was wondering, it can run the best game ever made :D :

H8RO05gh.jpg

tmtvwGWh.jpg

More component photo's... This time a delicious assortment of Bitspower Black Sparkle fittings! Some are new and some were thieved from Robocop's innards, rest his soul xD

I will also be using Bitspower's Black Sparkle tube for the build as well.

Video:

Photos:

9xWQgn7h.jpg

ZawVlgEh.jpg

DGdP0Dsh.jpg

HUjv0bph.jpg

aIg6LnUh.jpg

pR0AH0Lh.jpg

JyyhQIdh.jpg

5Ijohg2h.jpg

9pWUefFh.jpg

RFbjdL2h.jpg

Yo! :P

cCLTZdph.jpg

Finally decided on fans for the build! I'm going to try out the Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Tt Premium Edition 120mm's. I ordered 9 of them as you can only order them in 3-packs, but I may only use 7. There's one 360, and two 240 rads in the build, and I may do one of the 240's in push/pull (the one in the lower chamber), just depends on room down there.

I chose these ones because they have software control which is an obvious plus.

tmtvwGWh.jpg

Ok, so, I nabbed one of these Aorus SLI Bridge's with the hope that I could easily modify it in some way to add a new graphic. Turned out to be pretty easy and the steps are below, along with some crude phone pics (this is how I did it - there may be other techniques, these were just mine). I will return back to this little piece in the log once the shell is painted and the new graphic is laid on the acrylic, I'll include steps for that too... :)

Here's the original piece:

d41mts9h.jpg?1

It has the Aorus logo I'll be replacing, as well as the orange painted stripes I'll be sanding off:

LUU0DTSh.jpg?1

4 small Philips screws on the underside reveal 2 more screws to release the LED panel:

f7UCTRih.jpg?1

IcYG7CIh.jpg?1

Once everything is unscrewed the little LED panel can be pulled through the little bracket that was held by the 2 screws:

0qd7X7xh.jpg?1

a3Hio6uh.jpg?1

L6CWxAGh.jpg?1

Remove the small strip of vinyl around the edge and then use a small flathead to break the top acrylic piece loose, mask up the loose piece:

yjsXr3qh.jpg?1

y2GXnkLh.jpg?1

I then used some spray paint stripper and left it on for a few minutes and scraped off the old painted on logo:

nnfWeuCh.jpg?1

Qsz2WPJh.jpg?1

Cleaning off took a little bit and I ended up using some 320 grit wet-sand paper in the edges. Once done it looked pretty great, and I used a dab of glue to remount the acrylic piece:

u0G14X5h.jpg?1

Now it's ready to lay a new logo on, which I'll be using my vinyl cutter for. The shell will also be getting painted along with other parts of the build. I removed the orange stripes on the shell with 320 grit wet-sand paper. Here it is all put back together, which I'll be taking apart in the near future and finishing it up:

hdY93Kuh.jpg?1

tmtvwGWh.jpg

More component photo's... The Thermaltake fans... These things ooze quality in person, very impressed! They're also super quiet :)

Video:

Photos:

kqphqohh.jpg

aDsl7unh.jpg

GwACHUmh.jpg

6bNasoxh.jpg

BHgeVkth.jpg

3kRvmQdh.jpg

zfrjBYgh.jpg

IX4vl2Kh.jpg

BtAEkDth.jpg

d0Nm5YIh.jpg

s8CAjXah.jpg

MHUymsjh.jpg

rM5FHpLh.jpg

A9o9cgZh.jpg

gKKhoN5h.jpg

Somewhat of an update....

I added one more 960 EVO M.2 500 GB and two 10TB Barracuda Pro's tp the build :)

I set up the M.2's in RAID 0 for the main drive, and the two 10TB Barracuda's in RAID 1 for data drives. Everything went smooth and it's all set up now...

Just installing tons of software now! Check my out my sick kitchen test bench lol 9_9

vOIct8Mh.jpg?1

ktrdmgYh.jpg

GnwcoM3h.jpg

tmtvwGWh.jpg

More ingredients for the build... EK Coolstream PE rads, Bitspower 12mm Black Sparkle Tube, annnnnd the replacement PSU.

Video:

Photos:

DyHJGpYh.jpg

RFAkxrIh.jpg

AOo9Ca8h.jpg

mDv5LrKh.jpg

Pm00NyFh.jpg

vkjHHbIh.jpg

5s7TitLh.jpg

UCTdq4Dh.jpg

GsfBOCGh.jpg

fc2ngBQh.jpg

zef8SXBh.jpg

smuwjZuh.jpg

HFt02Tdh.jpg

lccOdsbh.jpg

RohSgSNh.jpg

zJHSzgsh.jpg

GGS4wVAh.jpg

51I2TFAh.jpg

VKH4i3Kh.jpg

8JbXLekh.jpg

I thought is was kind of cool that the PSU came with some cable combs:

BpaI9cfh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update currently, just awaiting more parts, case, etc... I will be painting the rads and modifying the motherboard cladding shortly however. In the meantime:

I had these domed decals made by Stickers International to replace the EK logo/badges on the motherboard block and rads. They come in a set amount depending on size, hence the lol-quantity... I think they turned out great!

LdS629Kh.jpg

yaFJdqFh.jpg

Glad to see you here as well James. Love all your builds! Inspiration has been drawn from your builds of the past for my builds. Now if only I could get as good as you at presenting! lol thumbs up! 

2 hours ago, IAmOctonaut said:

Glad to see you here as well James. Love all your builds! Inspiration has been drawn from your builds of the past for my builds. Now if only I could get as good as you at presenting! lol thumbs up! 

Thanks for the kind words!

I absolutely love the case. I'm always a huge fan of the amount of fans you can shove into one case to really keep things moving, but I'm not really a fan of the RGB setup. To each their own, the PC looks amazing!

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

• 1 month later...

Hey y'all!

Just a quick update, I've been traveling for a few weeks for work, so that's why I've been absent. Awaiting the case renders and case, and the water-cooling gear and the build will ramp up momentum drastically, as it will actually begin! 

Truly so excited to get going on this build :)

JW

• 1 month later...

tmtvwGWh.jpg

Soooooooo slight gap in updates, but full steam ahead now!

Anyone who has followed my builds before knows that the case is always fully revealed via a video, and in this case (no pun intended) I will do a time-lapse video of the Parvum case being put together and reveal...

But for now some case render teasers are below! Updates over the next 14 days will include PSU modification, radiator modification, Mobo modification, and of course some lovely video and photos of the Watercool Heatkiller gear being used in the build :) - Once I receive the case the actual build will start!

Huge shoutout to Parvum for doing another stellar job taking my design and making it a reality!

Some key case features:

- It's big, like REALLY big
- Reverse ATX
- 3 built-in reservoirs (roof, front, and side)
- Spot in motherboard wall to internally mount the 7" monitor
- Up to 5 layers of acrylic on some sides

ZmMyZlGh.jpg

x16UbYhh.jpg

bW2gLteh.jpg

I04aMmoh.jpg

gpiipPGh.jpg

4VGzb1Uh.jpg

tmtvwGWh.jpg

Here's the finished PSU! I had a custom Tyrell logo domed-decal made for the center (minimum order, hence the entire sheet!), and then I designed and printed replacement side decals. I used Photoshop Elements for the design, then printed using a Canon Pixma Pro 100. I think it turned out great :D

When rebranding components for themed builds I like to stick with the general, original graphic design and alter the company name etc. so components still retain the general OEM appearance, just tweaked for a different universe.

IUy9kkah.jpg

wIJWqIrh.jpg

vwTvqnjh.jpg

k4t8I6Vh.jpg

rs36Dlqh.jpg

YYUNNx2h.jpg

PEIt2Fqh.png

uucBkmwh.jpg

1cBldvqh.jpg

YhOEdfmh.jpg

p2yiQWMh.jpg

tmtvwGWh.jpg

A box of delicious goodies arrived from across the pond... Fresh from Watercool, today's specimens are a collection of the finest looking water blocks on todays market, in my personal opinion. BIG shoutout to Watercool for making it happen! I couldn't ask for a more fitting partnership, the aesthetic of the Heatkiller line-up will be absolutely perfect for the theme and design of this build.

The design and craftsmanship on display with these parts is truly a sight to behold and I'm absolutely in love with them. I definitely foresee all of my builds using their blocks for the near future.

An upcoming update will feature a video of the Watercool parts, including time-lapse of me putting them all together :)

cX2Be2Wh.jpg

bxxuIJEh.jpg

RXUh55Jh.jpg

7ITEM1rh.jpg

ObFTTsEh.jpg

5yhASgdh.jpg

FzeXJAHh.jpg

E4R977kh.jpg

rfM8CCbh.jpg

T6AvdNQh.jpg

N5n7Ua0h.jpg

Lppa3Ish.jpg