MSI M-FLASH Not Seeing BIOS update file

Hi, I'm having difficulty updating my BIOS for my Z170 Krait.

New version is - 7984vBD

When I download it, it's in a ZIP container and the only thing in it is a .txt file and a file named 'E7984IMS.BD0'.

I copied these as well as the ZIP container in a flash driver formatted using FAT32. I've also made multiple copies of the bios file and changed the name to 'AMIBIOS.ROM', 'AMIBOOT.ROM', etc.

However when booting and using the M-Flash in the boot menu, it only recognizes the folders in the USB drive bot not the files.

The reason I need to update my bios is to check whether it does resolve some memory stability issues I was experiencing when using XMP on my G.skill Trident Z 3200MHz kit.

Any ideas?

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'm also having trouble updating bios on my msi z170 the file doesn't seems to work, it is a infinite loop in the folder. Where you able to solve the problem? 

8 minutes ago, Andres Suito said:

Hello, I'm also having trouble updating bios on my msi z170 the file doesn't seems to work, it is a infinite loop in the folder. Where you able to solve the problem? 

Did you unzip the files before adding them to the USB?

8 hours ago, Andres Suito said:

Hi, I actually forgot to post if I had it work or not lol sorry :D

Anyway, it seems that there are lots of MSI Z170 Krait versions and the bios of one won't work on the other.

I suggest you look for the exact model of your motherboard then download the bios files. Place it in a USB, make a copy of it for both packed and unpacked.

Also, just because it appeared on google first doesn't mean that's your motherboard. Go to their website itself and look for it, there will be seemingly duplicate pages but they are not.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

• 4 years later...
On 8/9/2017 at 1:48 AM, rijzen said:

Did you unzip the files before adding them to the USB?

thanks! this fixed my issue 

image.jpg