Amd+ Question

Hello, community, I'm pretty new here and so, I introduce myself.

I'm Juan Pablo Tobón, from Medellín Colombia, right now I own a pourly amd athlon II x4 620 with 8 gb of ram ddr3 and a gtx 750 ti and those things are mounted on an asrock N68C-GS FX. 

Right now i'm on the worst budget build ever, the only thing I could'n try to do right now is a cpu upgrade (some one will donate one to me). I could choose either an fx 6300 or a fx 8350, but I can tell if my board can work with one those cpu's, I want to know if at least the computer will work, not at 100% but if I can use it until I get a better board.

Thanks for the time and I apologies I my english sucks, Haven't use it in a while.

The motherboard officially supports 95W TDP AM3+ CPUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

So fx8300 might be a good choice.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Note that this means that it will TECHNICALLY work, but you may not be able to overclock much. The board looks like it has a 3+1 power phase design, so I'd be very careful if you plan on overclocking. I wouldn't even try running the FX-83xx on there.

I wouldn't put an FX8350 on that board, so FX6300. I also wouldn't try to overclock it either.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Note that this means that it will TECHNICALLY work, but you may not be able to overclock much. The board looks like it has a 2+1 power phase design, so I'd be very careful if you plan on overclocking. I wouldn't even try running the FX-83xx on there.

Yeah, it's very possible that the spec is on the borderline, and considering the power delivery is so poor, I definitely would not push the CPU too much, mostly with overclocking. The lack of a heatsink isn't particularly great either.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Not at its 100%, but it should work, at least while I get an better board? If it works, the performance could be a little better that the one I am using right now?

1 minute ago, Juan Tobon said:

Not at its 100%, but it should work, at least while I get an better board? If it works, the performance could be a little better that the one I am using right now?

In theory, at stock settings, it'd be about 50% better than your current chip.

4 minutes ago, Juan Tobon said:

It really depends on the task. In gaming, I doubt you'll see a big positive difference, if any. 

Yeah, the FX-6300 is aging quite a bit now. It'd satiate your 750ti no doubt, but if you're already planning on buying another motherboard at some point, I think it's wiser to just invest in a more modern platform while you're switching things around. It'll cost a bit more, but it'll last you a lot longer.

1 hour ago, Juan Tobon said:

Right now i'm on the worst budget build ever, the only thing I could'n try to do right now is a cpu upgrade (some one will donate one to me). I could choose either an fx 6300 or a fx 8350, but I can tell if my board can work with one those cpu's, I want to know if at least the computer will work, not at 100% but if I can use it until I get a better board.

According to ASRock, the board won't support any FX CPu beyond 4 cores (like the FX-4300). Now, it does take 6-core, 95W Phenom II CPUs, so you may get away with 95W FX parts, especially 6-core ones. The question, however, is whether the BIOS will support them: if we believe ASRock, it won't, and the PC may not POST, or it may not use the CPUs properly.

You could consider going even older, and use a Phenom II instead, which would be an upgrade from your current CPU. But the question in that case would be whether you can actually get one these days, and you are probably better off with an FX-4300 anyway.

2 hours ago, Juan Tobon said:

Hello, community, I'm pretty new here and so, I introduce myself.

I'm Juan Pablo Tobón, from Medellín Colombia, right now I own a pourly amd athlon II x4 620 with 8 gb of ram ddr3 and a gtx 750 ti and those things are mounted on an asrock N68C-GS FX. 

Thanks for the time and I apologies I my english sucks, Haven't use it in a while.

You are pushing your luck beyond FX 6300. Seriously. You could try the 8370e which is a 95W TDP, but i promise it will throttle. A LOT.

Here is a dirty trick you can use: You can buy a 8370e, 95W TDP and use it with the second ALU disabled. It will look like an 4 core cpu but without the downside of the one FPU per ALU in FX. It will drop your current draw, enabling it to go full boost (maybe), consider you are cutting the power draw between 20 to 40% which is nice. If it still throttles you could just disable one module, and it will behave like an FX 6300 pretty much. 

--------------

Estas jugando con la suerte si instalas un CPU por encima del fx6300, pero podes intentar con el 8370e que es de 95W TDP. Pero se va perder mucha velocidad.

Podes usar un "truco": Si compras el 8370e, 95W TDP podes intentar usarlo con el segundo ALU de cada módulo desactivado. Vas a tener algo similar a un quad core pero sin las contras de FX que tienen una FPU por cada dos ALU en cada modulo. Va a bajar el consumo de corriente permitiendole posiblemente funcionar a velocidad máxima. Considera que estas reduciendo entre 20 y 40% el consumo. Nada mal. Si todavía se desacelera, podes desactivar un módulo completo y se va a comportar casi identicamente a  un FX 6300.

Could always grab a Phenom II X4 960T off ebay for like $45.

It's a Phenom II X6 with 2 cores disabled and an unlocked multiplier.

It's 95W out of the box at 3GHz/3.4GHz turbo on four cores.

If you keep the VRM's cool (put some heatsinks on them, and make sure there is airflow in that area) you can take a stab at unlocking it to a 6 core, and then underclock down to 2.8-2.9GHz and undervolt as much as you can get away with while keeping turbo core enabled and in the 3.4GHz range.  Basically you'll turn a 95W quad core into one of the low-power 6 core chips.

Should be able to do all of that right from AMD overdrive.  That's what I would probably do if I was stuck with an AM3 board that can only do 95W.  Unfortunately any of the appealing FX CPU's don't work with your board, otherwise I'd say to just get an FX-8320e.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

I know is a bad bad idea, but is what I can work with now, so If I can get de fx 8350 for free, i can put it in right in the board, or shoul I wait until can afford a slightly better board?...the one I got my eye on is this: Board Asus M5a78l-m/usb3 Am3+ Plus
Is quite cheap and fits in my mini atx case, what do you think guys?

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But the question in that case would be whether you can actually get one these days, and you are probably better off with an FX-4300 anyway.

I bought a 960T Black Edition last week for an AM3 spare parts build.  $45 shipped on ebay.  There's a ton of them.  The black edition 6 cores seem to command decent money still, so just get a 960T and try to unlock it, I think those have something like a 60% success rate for getting all 6 cores?

1 hour ago, Juan Tobon said:

I know is a bad bad idea, but is what I can work with now, so If I can get de fx 8350 for free, i can put it in right in the board, or shoul I wait until can afford a slightly better board?...the one I got my eye on is this: Board Asus M5a78l-m/usb3 Am3+ Plus
Is quite cheap and fits in my mini atx case, what do you think guys?

You could try dropping the FX chip in, boot to BIOS, underclock it by a few hundred mhz and see if the machine will boot to windows and detect all the cores.  Then run cinebench or something and hope it doesn't blow up the voltage regulators.

Also, get a pack of these heatsinks for the voltage regulators on your board, and make sure you're either running a CPU cooler that blows down into the motherboard, or add a fan blowing at the voltage regulator area.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+%26+Chipset+Cooling-_-N82E16835708011&gclid=CO2O4LWQ-9MCFZaEaQodOs0DHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's worth trying since the CPU is free.  If you're gonna keep that same motherboard, I'd grab a 960T or a low power Phenom II X6, otherwise I'd look for a used AM3+ board that you can run the FX8350 on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-970M-Pro3-AM3-AM3-AMD-970-AMD-SB950-6-x-SATA-6Gb-s-USB-3-0-Micro-ATX-A-/381172537641?hash=item58bfa75929:g:hv8AAOSwEeFU7ysb

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

22 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I bought a 960T Black Edition last week for an AM3 spare parts build.  $45 shipped on ebay.

$45 shipped... to the US, I guess?

Another question is whether it is in the pool of CPUs that OP can get for free.

22 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

$45 shipped... to the US, I guess?

Another question is whether it is in the pool of CPUs that OP can get for free.

Yeah.  This one was a bit more expensive because I looked for one that wasn't shipping from Korea or China, but yeah that's the price range of most of the 960T's on ebay.

Really for OP it comes down to the choice of keeping that far from ideal motherboard and buying a CPU, or taking a freebie FX-8350 and buying the cheapest AM3+ mobo they can get their hands on.

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Yeah.  This one was a bit more expensive because I looked for one that wasn't shipping from Korea or China, but yeah that's the price range of most of the 960T's on ebay.

What I tried to point out is that OP will need it in Colombia ;) 

Agree on the rest!

On 2017-05-18 at 7:58 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I wouldn't put an FX8350 on that board, so FX6300. I also wouldn't try to overclock it either.

i would let it on stock settings, but manually downvolt it a bit

9f4801249159282c2f5708381459f410_meme-5-

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would let it on stock settings, but manually downvolt it a bit

9f4801249159282c2f5708381459f410_meme-5-

well, that is the idea, right now i´m wating for my contact to send me the cpu, and saving for a good micro atx board (is the one I can fit in my case) and then, try to squeeze them in games

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

A bit late to the party, but wow, they removed the FX8300 and the FX6300 from the support list lol. I know because i had that board, and in the past i know for sure it supported up to the FX8300 (but at that time it did not had support for the FX4350/FX6350 and of course the FX8350). So @Juan Tobon in case the FX6300 doesn't work out of the box a bios downgrade might fix it, unless they also removed the bios which had the support for the FX6300/FX8300.

So, that's good news for BIOS support and bad news for the power delivery, I guess :P 

Knowing ASRock, I doubt they took took the trouble to remove BIOS support (for example, the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer doesn't officially support the 9xxx series, but they will be recognized if you put them in). They seem to have all BIOS back to the original one in the corresponding section, in case a downgrade is needed ;) 

Still, they must have done it for a reason :P 

So, the correct answer is: 

If I get this cpu (fx 8350 or fx 6300) for free, I should leave it alone, until I bring a new board to the party?

Well, I still have to wait a month to see the cpu, and you know what, wont put it right in, I better wait and buy the asus that I mentioned before...Thanks guys.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:04 AM, Juan Tobon said:

well, that is the idea, right now i´m wating for my contact to send me the cpu, and saving for a good micro atx board (is the one I can fit in my case) and then, try to squeeze them in games

There are no good mATX AM3+ boards. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.