Gif pronunciation?

Gix7Fifty

Is it like jiff or gif like gift?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Like gift

Edited by WindirBear

According to dictionaries... either will work.  I prefer the hard g as in gift.  Anyone who insists on JIF exclusively should get a gold internet star, and promptly ignored.  

4 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Is it like jiff or gif like gift?

"Officially", meaning: as named by the inventor of the *.gif format, it's pronounced "Jiff" (A jay sound, like the name Jill).

However, unofficially, (and grammatically, this makes more sense anyway), it's Gif (like Gift) - that's how I say it and I always will.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you want to be correct and not sound like a dumbass: gif with a hard g, like in gift.

If you want to sound like a moron: jiff (like yiff in hell)

"B-b-but the creator said it is jiff!"

The creator is wrong.

G as in "Gas".

But for humor I occasionally do use Jiff.

realistically the creator cannot be wrong because the g or j is just how one interprets it there cannot be a true choice. plus it doesn't matter anyway everyone knows what they mean. plus jif is peanut butter maybe that's the true reason for the spelling being giff

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

Gif all the way.
@OP could you make a poll? Would be interesting to see what LTT community thinks.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

G.I.F 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Hard G like gift. You can argue all you want about what the creator said or whatever but my reason is that .jif files are also a thing so the spot for that pronunciation is already taken.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 hours ago, yathis said:

JIFF not GIFF Gift sounding G and iffno no no

JIFF

The creator (iirc) said it was jif, but language changes and is dictated by what people use most often.

The large majority of people agree that gif sounds better and is easier to say, so that's why it is more "correct" to say gif rather than jif.

At least in english speaking countries.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The creator (iirc) said it was jif, but language changes and is dictated by what people use most often.

The large majority of people agree that gif sounds better and is easier to say, so that's why it is more "correct" to say gif rather than jif.

At least in english speaking countries.

Not to mention that it's the "graphics interchange format", not "japhics interchanje format". 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Not to mention that it's the "graphics interchange format", not "japhics interchanje format". 

Now that is just silly, acronyms are treated as their own new words. Is jpeg jpheg?

Looks like most of you are wrong,..

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

G solid G nothing but solid G Geez 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

17 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Now that is just silly, acronyms are treated as their own new words. Is jpeg jpheg?

Most of what the goon says in this video he took from someone else's website, even using the same examples. 

No one, absolutely no one, should use this tit as an information source. Also someone needs to introduce him to a razor 

Like Gift.

The creator is wrong, he created the extension, not the English language.

If it is pronounced with a hard J, how do we pronounce JIF?

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No, acronyms are not pronounced using the words they are abbreviating, scuba and jpeg are two examples of that.

8 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

You're right about the acronyms part, but still no, since the large majority of people say gif with a G then the most correct way of pronouncing it is gif not jif.

Language adapts to how people speak.

There are plenty of words that were said "wrong" or "differently" than intended, but English adapts and since the majority of people said it that different way, that becomes the norm.

It no longer is "what the creator said", it is "what the people say".

And I think it is fairly obvious to everyone that gif is the much more popular way of saying it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020