ASUS ROG PG279Q Backlight-bleed

Hey

My first PG279Q had backlight-bleed so I sent it back and got a new one from the retailer.

I've just discovered that this new one has it too, so I'll be sending it back soon.

How common is this? And take a bet on how many times I'll be sending it back before I get one without it.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

"Every PG279Q sold in North America must pass a visual inspection in a darkened environment before it’s shipped to a vendor."

Well I live in Norway, so maybe that's why?

"IPS glow should not be confused with backlight bleed, which occurs when light spills out from the border of the display. Backlight bleed is confined to specific points on the perimeter, and it’s usually uneven. The bright spots are static and don’t shift with your view like IPS glow."

It's definitively backlight-bleed.

really? Such an expensive and high-end monitor with QC issues? Well, Asus isn't helping their name much. I'm scared to get the xb271hu too because it uses the same panel. Hopefully, Acer has better quality control than Asus.

15 hours ago, Snake_XVI said:

"Every PG279Q sold in North America must pass a visual inspection in a darkened environment before it’s shipped to a vendor."

Well I live in Norway, so maybe that's why?

"IPS glow should not be confused with backlight bleed, which occurs when light spills out from the border of the display. Backlight bleed is confined to specific points on the perimeter, and it’s usually uneven. The bright spots are static and don’t shift with your view like IPS glow."

It's definitively backlight-bleed.

Where you live will make very little difference, I'm sure they use the same QC inspection virtually regardless of the market it's intended for.  Also, back-light bleed is extremely uncommon and most people who say they have it are first time IPS users/owners who are confusing it with IPS glow.  They are similar but not the same and if you're so sure then take pictures of it in a dark room and post them so we can SEE it.  The "QC issues" with these monitors are extremely overstated, it's far better overall than standard monitors and it's just a case of being the Internet where people who have bad experiences are FAR more likely to post/review than people who don't.

Here's a link for reference: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/ips-glow-backlight-bleed-and-dead-pixels-explained/

I bought a launch day PG279Q, zero bleed, zero dead pixels, 100% perfect. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 4:10 PM, aithos said:

Where you live will make very little difference, I'm sure they use the same QC inspection virtually regardless of the market it's intended for.  Also, back-light bleed is extremely uncommon and most people who say they have it are first time IPS users/owners who are confusing it with IPS glow.  They are similar but not the same and if you're so sure then take pictures of it in a dark room and post them so we can SEE it.  The "QC issues" with these monitors are extremely overstated, it's far better overall than standard monitors and it's just a case of being the Internet where people who have bad experiences are FAR more likely to post/review than people who don't.

Here's a link for reference: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/ips-glow-backlight-bleed-and-dead-pixels-explained/

I bought a launch day PG279Q, zero bleed, zero dead pixels, 100% perfect. 

It's hard to capture with a picture, but here it is. This is the bottom left corner of the screen. There is some in the top right corner as well

IMG_1082.jpg

Oh, and one more thing. Is the "flashing colors screensaver thing" supposed to be set to on by default?

On 5/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, Snake_XVI said:

It's hard to capture with a picture, but here it is. This is the bottom left corner of the screen. There is some in the top right corner as well

IMG_1082.jpg

Oh, and one more thing. Is the "flashing colors screensaver thing" supposed to be set to on by default?

I don't know what you mean about the screensaver thing, that's usually an OS setting and not anything to do with your monitor.  That does look like a bit of backlight bleed though, and I'd be exchanging it if you can do it without much trouble.  It's an unfortunate thing to have happen, but every company and every panel has some that have issues and hopefully Asus takes good care of you.

The other thing you can do first if you want is to press (gently) on the monitor/bezel near that and see if it improves.  Sometimes backlight bleed is just the bezel being a tiny bit off and putting pressure on the panel, the Korean overclocking monitors (cheap off-brand monitors) had a problem with an ill-fitting bezel that would do that.  That would be extremely odd on a monitor like the Asus but you could give it a shot and see if it helps before doing an RMA, it can't hurt as long as you're gentle.

• 2 months later...

So I've just received my third monitor. It also has backlight bleed. Should I give up on this monitor and get my money back, or am I really unlucky?

1 hour ago, Snake_XVI said:

So I've just received my third monitor. It also has backlight bleed. Should I give up on this monitor and get my money back, or am I really unlucky?

That depends on how much of an issue it is to you. Is it even that noticeable in normal conditions - when not in a pitch black room with a black background? I'd wager that all high-spec IPS monitors with the very thin bezels will have back light bleed around the edges to some degree. Some probably worse than others, but they all have it.

So either go for an old fashioned TN panel in stead, or learn to live with it, and focus on all the benefits you get - the lovely thin bezel, amazing colors and such.

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

On 8/2/2017 at 0:49 PM, Hasle said:

That depends on how much of an issue it is to you. Is it even that noticeable in normal conditions - when not in a pitch black room with a black background? I'd wager that all high-spec IPS monitors with the very thin bezels will have back light bleed around the edges to some degree. Some probably worse than others, but they all have it.

So either go for an old fashioned TN panel in stead, or learn to live with it, and focus on all the benefits you get - the lovely thin bezel, amazing colors and such.

I feel like it shouldn't be any backlight-bleed on such a "high-end" monitor. So there aren't really any 1440p 165 fps 27" IPS monitors without backlight bleed that you know of?