Optaine DIMMs to launch with Cascade Lake in 2018

Now that we've seen Optane based memory released to the public in a drive format, Intel is promising to release their Optane DIMMs in 2018 alongside their Cascade Lake Xeons.  From Tech Report:

http://techreport.com/news/31932/optane-dimms-and-companion-cpus-will-arrive-in-2018

Intel's Optane Memory tech showcases what 3D Xpoint memory can do on a limited scale, but the potential for Optane extends well beyond hard-drive acceleration. Intel began shipping Optane DIMMs to partners for testing early this year, and yesterday the company committed to delivering Optane DIMMs as a product called "Intel persistent memory" alongside a refresh of its Xeon Processor Scalable family called Cascade Lake. Both the persistent memory product and Cascade Lake CPUs will arrive sometime in 2018.

Intel says that Optane DIMMs will upend the traditional "small, volatile, and expensive" view of system memory by providing a much denser and persistent way of putting data close to the processor, all at lower prices than DRAM. The company showed off these potential benefits at the SAP Sapphire conference by running the ERP giant's HANA analytics tool on a pool of Optane DIMMs. Intel says that for in-memory database apps like HANA, these DIMMs will be a no-brainer for improving performance because of the much larger data sets they'll put closer to CPUs.

Intel-DIMM-400x247.jpg.8cd17940bdbdb2c1f795f1c628bc7e22.jpg

Now that we have some kind of timeline for their release, Intel has also discussed some use cases for these DIMMs involving mass virtualization and private clouds in enterprise environments to cloud hosting and search applications in public clouds and high performance computing.  I would think that this kind of tech combined with something like Google's Data Centers and AI would significantly speed up their prediction and neural networks...  One of the interesting items they mention is that they are calling for this to be less expensive than DRAM in addition to all the benefits (definitely believe it once I see it), however that could make for some great upgrade paths once this hits consumer market beyond 2018.

Intel IT Peer Network: https://itpeernetwork.intel.com/new-breakthrough-persistent-memory-first-public-demo/

Cascade Lake? Is this a refresh only for xeons or also for consumers?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Cascade Lake? Is this a refresh only for xeons or also for consumers?

So far, it sounds like a refresh for the Xeon line of processors...

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

So far, it sounds like a refresh for the Xeon line of processors...

If it includes consumers, then we'd have so many skylake based cpus xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If it includes consumers, then we'd have so many skylake based cpus xD 

To Recap:

Sky Lake (2016)

Kaby Lake (2017)

Cannon Lake (2018)

Coffee Lake (2018)

Cascade Lake (2018)

Ice Lake (2019)

Tiger Lake (2020)

WTF

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

To Recap:

Sky Lake (2016)

Kaby Lake (2017)

Cannon Lake (2018)

Coffee Lake (2018)

Cascade Lake (2018)

Tiger Lake (2019)

Ice Lake (2019)

WTF

So many lakes.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

To Recap:

Sky Lake (2016)

Kaby Lake (2017)

Cannon Lake (2018)

Coffee Lake (2018)

Cascade Lake (2018)

Ice Lake (2019)

Tiger Lake (2020)

WTF

So, is the head of the CPU division from Minnesota? 

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

To Recap:

Sky Lake (2016)

Kaby Lake (2017)

Cannon Lake (2018)

Coffee Lake (2018)

Cascade Lake (2018)

Ice Lake (2019)

Tiger Lake (2020)

WTF

Luke Luck likes lakes.
Luke's duck likes lakes.
Luke Luck licks lakes.
Luck's duck licks lakes.

Duck takes licks in lakes Luke Luck likes.
Luke Luck takes licks in lakes duck likes.

Intel can go frown in one if this continues...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

isn't the downside of these higher latency? the improvements are workload specific and not all around if im not mistaken.

3 hours ago, tlink said:

isn't the downside of these higher latency? the improvements are workload specific and not all around if im not mistaken.

Can't find numbers right now, but from memory it is higher latency and lower bandwidth than ram, the tradeoff you're making with it is you get more capacity per cost compared to ram. It fills in the gap between ram and SSD. Great if you're after quantity more than speed. I believe that they also have an in-between write life. Much better than traditional SSD, but still worse than ram which is for most practically unlimited.

What might be interesting is if this might start to become standard in low cost systems. You can still lower cost in non-performance scenarios with it, compared to conventional ram. Even get into the state where the "ram" and "SSD" are actually the same device, and you can reallocate dynamically between them according to the usage. Probably some way off that...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The latency is about 10x slower than RAM but higher capacity than RAM, much faster Q depth 1 speeds compared to SSDs and much higher write cycles in its life than a regulard SSD. This could make some really neat and powerful small profile servers or save drive space and power, give much higher RAM capacities, and great performance for VMs.

What I would love to see are some consumer products for this that could make use of this, like ultrathin but powerful and spacious laptops/tablets. With Thunderbolt being a thing it could be possible to have an extremely powerful laptop at home and a very powerful but small profile laptop on the go.

1 hour ago, 2bitmarksman said:

The latency is about 10x slower than RAM but higher capacity than RAM, much faster Q depth 1 speeds compared to SSDs and much higher write cycles in its life than a regulard SSD. This could make some really neat and powerful small profile servers or save drive space and power, give much higher RAM capacities, and great performance for VMs.

What I would love to see are some consumer products for this that could make use of this, like ultrathin but powerful and spacious laptops/tablets. With Thunderbolt being a thing it could be possible to have an extremely powerful laptop at home and a very powerful but small profile laptop on the go.

wouldn't thunderbolt bottleneck it massively and create a huge latency? i always thought ram dimms are right next to the socket because the closer they are the lower the latancy. maybe when we have a combination of photon electron based computing, latency could be way less of an issue then with optic fiber ram channels or something. but thats all way way in the future imo.

1 hour ago, 2bitmarksman said:

One benefit I can think of about having Optane DIMMs as opposed to typical DRAM would be that you are cutting down the access latency between your DRAM and your internal storage.  If they can expand the storage amounts on Optane DIMMs enough and have memory controllers on an enthusiast CPU that could handle several hundred GBs to TB scale memory then you could potentially move your OS and all of your main working/gaming applications into a where your DRAM would be.  Or maybe even create a scenario where you have one or two channels of standard DRAM for the decreased latency it provides and then one or two channels of Optane Memory for the retention capabilities in power off states.  

You can have multiple TB of "system memory" now.  Yeah it's not as fast as DRAM, but it's faster than even a XPoint based NVME drive.  And supposedly it won't take any extra "effort" since the magic happens in the background.  It just looks like DRAM to the system.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)