Laptop MSI GP62MVR with GTX 1060 - Less FPS then I should have

Hey guys,

I bought recently a MSi GP62MVR 7RF with a i5 7300HQ, 8GB DDR4 and GTX 1060 3GB.

So I installed a clean OS with Windows 10 64 Bits and yes, its updated as so are the drivers.

The strange think is, I was making my usual gaming testing like GTA V. But, I saw that I was having less FPS then most of the reviews, even and specialy on Battlefield 4.

Per acident, I connected my Laptop to the TV and, I was trying to play some Fifa 17, as I saw that I got more FPS in Fifa 17 (on Laptop monitor I had like 180 FPS) but on my TV i had 210 FPS.

Imediatly I started to test other games, and yes, most games I got like 25 FPS more on TV then on my laptop monitor.

Started to see if it was the drivers, nope it wasnt. Started to check if the resolution is the same, and yes, its both side 1080p. Ok whats wrong? IM out of ideas... damn..

U can check my video and U will see the diferences are big!

Im out of options, and yes, my settings of Nvidia are for GTX 1060 to use always, with High Perfomance an V-Sync turned off...

HELP DUDES, Im getting mad and crazy... WHY the hell Im getting LESS FPS then I should on laptop monitor BUT when connected to any device with HDMI I get more fps on there screen, sometimes even more then 30 FPS.

3 minutes ago, jaydeltaa said:

Hey guys,

I bought recently a MSi GP62MVR 7RF with a i5 7300HQ, 8GB DDR4 and GTX 1060 3GB.

So I installed a clean OS with Windows 10 64 Bits and yes, its updated as so are the drivers.

The strange think is, I was making my usual gaming testing like GTA V. But, I saw that I was having less FPS then most of the reviews, even and specialy on Battlefield 4.

Per acident, I connected my Laptop to the TV and, I was trying to play some Fifa 17, as I saw that I got more FPS in Fifa 17 (on Laptop monitor I had like 180 FPS) but on my TV i had 210 FPS.

Imediatly I started to test other games, and yes, most games I got like 25 FPS more on TV then on my laptop monitor.

Started to see if it was the drivers, nope it wasnt. Started to check if the resolution is the same, and yes, its both side 1080p. Ok whats wrong? IM out of ideas... damn..

Im out of options, and yes, my settings of Nvidia are for GTX 1060 to use always, with High Perfomance an V-Sync turned off...

HELP DUDES, Im getting mad and crazy... WHY the hell Im getting LESS FPS then I should on laptop monitor BUT when connected to any device with HDMI I get more fps on there screen, sometimes even more then 30 FPS.

Check display settings. See if v sync/g sync is enabled (unsure if you have g sync)

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

Check display settings. See if v sync/g sync is enabled (unsure if you have g sync)

No bro, I don´t have any G-Sync on this model.

It might be that the display driver for the laptop display is a PoS but the display driver for the external displays are decent?  Might try updating the driver for your monitor.

Just now, CerberusLabrat said:

It might be that the display driver for the laptop display is a PoS but the display driver for the external displays are decent?  Might try updating the driver for your monitor.

How that?

I tryed like 8 versions of Nvidia drivers.

So Im guessing the real perfomance is that what appears on the TV screen, right, then why Im getting lower FPS on the "MSi Laptop screen"?

I don´t see any drivers for the laptop screen....

THANKs

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

awful music, look at your game settings to make sure, check to see if all your drivers are up to date. 

I know, I made that video in the rush, sry!

Yes its all the same settings in-game quality.

Strange thing is, its the same result for old or recent drivers... Im even using the Tweakforce now, since I get a little more FPS but even with the oficial MSi old drivers OR Nvidia lastest drivers, the result are the same...  was the first thing I tryed btw...

1 minute ago, jaydeltaa said:

How that?

I tryed like 8 versions of Nvidia drivers.

So Im guessing the real perfomance is that what appears on the TV screen, right, then why Im getting lower FPS on the "MSi Laptop screen"?

I don´t see any drivers for the laptop screen....

THANKs

Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Monitors.

find the one for your laptop display, this might be "Generic PnP Monitor" > Right Click > Properties> Driver Tab > Update Driver to force update.

1 minute ago, CerberusLabrat said:

Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Monitors.

find the one for your laptop display, this might be "Generic PnP Monitor" > Right Click > Properties> Driver Tab > Update Driver to force update.

Ok I checked that now... but When I do the update, it says "its" already updated...

That was my best idea.  You might also try to uninstall geforce experience and update the drivers manually - there have been some people claiming that Geforce Experience is known to cause some issues, based on the google search I did?

Just now, CerberusLabrat said:

That was my best idea.  You might also try to uninstall geforce experience and update the drivers manually - there have been some people claiming that Geforce Experience is known to cause some issues, based on the google search I did?

Gona try that now.

Its kinda sad if I have to take this already after few days to guarantee already :S

The store and MSi thinks its software related, otherwise I wouldn´t have more perfomance on a external screen...

Gona try everything ppl says here, u all are my best hope :S kinda sad because even If I like to play on TV, out of Home I only have my screen and thats about 60% of the time...

THANKS alote for ur opinion and help, gona try that of the Experience!

It's probably a software issue.  I found after two years of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why Unreal Engine games had a memory leak that was causing them to start stuttering after 30 min - an hour with absolutely no one able to figure out why that the problem was caused by Corsair Link of all things.

Try an ABSOLUTELY barebones Windows install if the Geforce Experience trick doesn't work.

1 minute ago, CerberusLabrat said:

It's probably a software issue.  I found after two years of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why Unreal Engine games had a memory leak that was causing them to start stuttering after 30 min - an hour with absolutely no one able to figure out why that the problem was caused by Corsair Link of all things.

Try an ABSOLUTELY barebones Windows install if the Geforce Experience trick doesn't work.

Damn that was a bad experience u had bro :S

Yes I unistalled the Nvdiai Experience, but now on the tray doesn´t appears the Nvidia logo... well, gona run now the benchmark, btw, what u mean by Barebones Windows?

Just now, jaydeltaa said:

Damn that was a bad experience u had bro :S

Yes I unistalled the Nvdiai Experience, but now on the tray doesn´t appears the Nvidia logo... well, gona run now the benchmark, btw, what u mean by Barebones Windows?

Barebones = Windows, Graphics Driver, MSI Afterburner, Game.  The absolute bare minimum you can have installed to play that game and get an FPS ticker.  Don't install any chat programs, don't install office, don't install any drivers for miscellaneous things.

2 hours ago, CerberusLabrat said:

Barebones = Windows, Graphics Driver, MSI Afterburner, Game.  The absolute bare minimum you can have installed to play that game and get an FPS ticker.  Don't install any chat programs, don't install office, don't install any drivers for miscellaneous things.

Tryed everything and nothing. Can get the FPS in my laptop screen and its anoying because its a big diference :S

Out of ideas, even tryed to turn off and on the Phsyx

If your using it unplugged the fps drops to save battery but if you use it plugged in then idk

12 hours ago, Gamerguy207 said:

If your using it unplugged the fps drops to save battery but if you use it plugged in then idk

No bro, Im using always connected to AC... no way its related to Battery or is it?!

Because I only play pluged in.... so Im guessing its another reason... I cant figured out why I get more FPS in big time via HDMI...

Gona try to reinstall Windows 10 with a diferente version :S lets hope if not, then Im out of Ideas for good....

Thnx for ur opinion

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just in case anyone is still wondering about low FPS on 7300hq+1060

Reporting you from 7300hq+8gb+1060maxq=Dell 7577-9577.
You MUST install similar 2nd RAM module for RAM to become DUAL-mode, not single.
My result - FPS in CS GO increased from 130-70 to 170-120 FPS after adding 2nd module and checking that RAM's in dual mode.

FPS almost doubled!

Cheerz!

On 5/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, jaydeltaa said:

Hey guys,

depends on how you use your laptop, if you actually put it on your laps, it might overheat, causing thermal throttling, and when you put it next to the tv it has a better cooling, i'm sorry if this is not the case, but aside from bad drivers, this is all i could come up with, this sorta used to happen to me with my mac, it would sometimes thermal throttle

or also, since the monitor pulls a bunch of energy from the battery, there might be a tweaked setting that causes it to lower clock speeds to save energy, so try plugging it to the charger

• 5 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 1:41 AM, shapz0r said:

Hi

Just in case anyone is still wondering about low FPS on 7300hq+1060

Reporting you from 7300hq+8gb+1060maxq=Dell 7577-9577.
You MUST install similar 2nd RAM module for RAM to become DUAL-mode, not single.
My result - FPS in CS GO increased from 130-70 to 170-120 FPS after adding 2nd module and checking that RAM's in dual mode.

FPS almost doubled!

Cheerz!

Hi 

I will need your help regarding the fps solution you wrote here, I am not good with computer jargons so can you please tell me what you actually meant here? 

I would like to improve the fps on my laptop to my laptop model is MSI GP62MVR 7RFX LEOPORD PRO.

Even with low settings my fps is dropping down to 20-30 why is that happening? Please help