Writing Joke Virus Application

13 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If I did that though I'd have to know how to reverse it.

you just delete the file, it creates a fake file that "takes up space" but doesn't actually wrote any data. 

its for testing quotas and what not. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

This "Albanian Virus" looks hilarious, nice work.

7 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

you just delete the file, it creates a fake file that "takes up space" but doesn't actually wrote any data. 

its for testing quotas and what not. 

Makes sense but the point of this application is to be in your face. Creating false files would be something they'd have to discover after the fact unless I put it in the list of displayed actions. I like the idea but it's subtle. If I wanted to write a more aggressive joke Virus where it actually does things to the machine I like the idea. I could put a prompt on the screen that it's downloading more viruses then create the false files. Maybe for a future project.

Creating false files. I see your previously mentioned command is for CMD. I do wonder however is their an argument you can add that tells the command which directory to plant the file in? Or do you have to move to the directory then run the command? In the programming language I'm using you can only open CMD to run one command. In this instance I could write a batch file with two or more lines. One to the directory and the other the actual command but if I can include the directory in the same command that'd be preferred because then I could run all of it from within the program without the need for external batch files.

8 hours ago, rsethc said:

This "Albanian Virus" looks hilarious, nice work.

It's not an original thought though. The design is my own, the list of fake actions is my own, and how they execute is my own, but the "Albanian Virus" portion of it is stolen from someone else. I did revise it though. If you google image search "Albanian Virus" the original writing is different from mine but it's obvious I started with the original copy and just tweaked it.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Creating false files. I see your previously mentioned command is for CMD. I do wonder however is their an argument you can add that tells the command which directory to plant the file in? Or do you have to move to the directory then run the command?

I believe you can add the location to he filename argument. 

c:/notavirus/virus.exe

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I believe you can add the location to he filename argument. 

c:/notavirus/virus.exe

I did not consider that. I'd expect it to work. I could create a list of those executables. Not just make it dump one file but dumb many. Of different sizes. Different locations even. Set the dumps on timers so they're random when they happen. I've been thinking about your proposal while at work and I think it could be used in its own application. No other features just "Hey, I'm a virus!" (chaos files start popping up everywhere at random on the machine). And I'd assume no anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, etc software would stop it because there's no actual malicious code. I don't think it would fall under self replicating detectors either since each file is unique. I'll have to test if creating files requires an elevated command prompt (run as admin) or if installing files inside the file tree (such as C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files x86, C:\User\[Name]\Desktop) prompts the user that an unknown application is attempting to execute a file in any of these directories. If so it won't work.

If it does work though to fix everything once everybody's had their laugh I could have second program or more easily just a batch file prepared that would go through each dump destination and delete the files.

It'd probably be in my best interest though to conduct these experiments in a virtual machine, lol.

11 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

Either way it's a good little project for you to play around with and code on.

I am finding it a fun little project. Programming isn't my field of expertise but to play in it knowing the sky is the limit as far as what you can do with it is great inspiration to learn more. I've already written several different programs to make my life just a little bit easier. They're nothing fancy. Just little things that I find tedious which now they do for me.