New Zealand Travel gear (Backpack)

I'm going to NZ next year and I'm starting to get my gear together.

So far my gear looks like this:

-Nikon D750 (+Batteries, Filter, etc)

-Sigma 35 mm f/1,4 

-DJI Mavic

-Lenovo Yoga 910 (+external Drives, etc)

I'm probaply not going to buy another lens. I just love 35mm. But I need a new Backpack. Mostly a Backpack to fit all my gear for a One Day Trip.

So I'm looking at a few different candidates:

1) The Everyday Backpack by Peak Design - I own the Everyday Messenger since the Kickstater Campaign and love it. Sadly I can't use it for longer trips, I'll need Backpack for that (thats the whole point of this Topic).

2) Manfrotto Windsor - Should be big enough to fit everything I need and is cheaper that the Peak Design one. And I like the look.

3) National Geographic Africa camera backpack M - I like the look.

If you have any other proposals or recommendations based on your expercience I's like to hear them!

First off, awesome place to go! I'll save some money and fly myself to NZ eventually. *jealous*

As for the packs, number 1 looks like the most though out pack, I don't like 2, and 3 is really nice looking. I'd get whatever one you like best. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

From personal experience and years of schooling - don't cheap out on a backpack. Honestly, I don't know much about photography specific backpacks, but the Everyday backpack seems pretty solid, along with the others. I would personally recommend the Incase Icon, comfortable and durable, has lots of room, and although it is not a camera specific backpack, it will be able to hold hour gear with ease.

I agree with your philosophy, I would also look at the lowepro protactic series and thinktank photo offerings, maybe f-stop. 

I have the protactic 450AW and I'm pretty pleased with what you can carry in it and the quality of the pack in general. It also has a molle system on the outside which is pretty versatile for various attachments. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

First off, awesome place to go! I'll save some money and fly myself to NZ eventually. *jealous*

As for the packs, number 1 looks like the most though out pack, I don't like 2, and 3 is really nice looking. I'd get whatever one you like best. 

For me it's a dream come true :D - Thanks for your opinion!

4 minutes ago, monjanger said:

From personal experience and years of schooling - don't cheap out on a backpack. Honestly, I don't know much about photography specific backpacks, but the Everyday backpack seems pretty solid, along with the others. I would personally recommend the Incase Icon, comfortable and durable, has lots of room, and although it is not a camera specific backpack, it will be able to hold hour gear with ease.

I'm totally with you! Never cheap out on a backpack. I don't regret spending the money on my Everyday Messenger! - I've looked up the Incase Website, and they have some really nice backpacks! Thanks for the recommendation! The only problem is that their camera backpacks are "classic" camera backpacks. There you can't really put anything else into them besides cameras. But thanks tho! Appreciated!

6 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I agree with your philosophy, I would also look at the lowepro protactic series and thinktank photo offerings, maybe f-stop. 

I have the protactic 450AW and I'm pretty pleased with what you can carry in it and the quality of the pack in general. It also has a molle system on the outside which is pretty versatile for various attachments. 

Thanks for the recommendation @cc143! I'll loook them up, appreciated!

I have a lowepro hackback 250 aw. I believe it should hold everything you have listed plus another lens. I have a video showing how packed I have mine and I carry two mirrorless cameras and 3 lenses. It looks like a normal backpack which is good to avoid attention plus it's got an all weather cover.

I would stay away from things like manfrotto and big camera brands. Those scream expensive camera gear (which makes them a nice target to steal) and imo looks horrific. 

I'd take a look at F-Stop gear. They are expensive, yes, hard to find, yes, but as I have read and seen (have tried one) they seems to be amazing. (Expensive = $200 Hard to find = sold through their website mainly) 

But I think they look amazing and seems to suit an active lifestyle and say hiking and so while carrying your camera gear safley. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

• 2 weeks later...