Which PSU should i go for?

Greetings,

I need some advice for buying the right PSU for my system. I was looking at the PSU tier list (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/) and i was wondering, 'do i really need a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU for my system?' I can't and won't overclock. I use this system mostly to render stills and using applications like AutoCAD, Photoshop, Vray, Revit, SketchUp. I also game on it but not more than 6hrs. I plan on upgrading the GPU to a Gtx 1060. SO the main question, do i really need a top three tier PSU or i can use a mid-budget unit from a reliable brand.

System Specifications:

CPU - i7 6700 cooled with Corsair H100 water cooler

Mobo - Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3

RAM - Gskill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4

Storage - 1xSamsung 850 Pro 128GB

1xWD Caviar Green 1TB

1xWD Blue 1TB

GPU - Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB GHz edition

Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II

Keep it simple.

Judging by your name you need Seasonic Prime with Titanium efficiency that comes with 12 years of warranty.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Judging by your name you need Seasonic Prime with Titanium efficiency that comes with 12 years of warranty.

Funny but no no, don't go by the name. xD

Keep it simple.

3 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

Funny but no no, don't go by the name. xD

Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12II/M12II are decent cheap choice. TIER 3 for that PC is enough

With a GTX 1060, your system won't reach more than 300 watts of power consumption when gaming. When working in 2D applications, you won't go over 100w.

So basically, any 450w or higher power supply should be enough for you. 

No, you don't need "tier 1" power supplies and you don't need more than Gold efficiency at the amount of energy your system would use, in fact you'd probably be fine even with a Bronze efficiency power supply from a good brand.

I would suggest looking at Seasonic, if you want cheap the S12II / M12II series would be good (they're in tier 3) , for example look at a 520w model from those series. FSP HydroX would also be fine.

20 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

Greetings,

I need some advice for buying the right PSU for my system. I was looking at the PSU tier list (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/) and i was wondering, 'do i really need a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU for my system?' I can't and won't overclock. I use this system mostly to render stills and using applications like AutoCAD, Photoshop, Vray, Revit, SketchUp. I also game on it but not more than 6hrs. I plan on upgrading the GPU to a Gtx 1060. SO the main question, do i really need a top three tier PSU or i can use a mid-budget unit from a reliable brand.

System Specifications:

CPU - i7 6700 cooled with Corsair H100 water cooler

Mobo - Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3

RAM - Gskill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4

Storage - 1xSamsung 850 Pro 128GB

1xWD Caviar Green 1TB

1xWD Blue 1TB

GPU - Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB GHz edition

Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II

A GTX 1060 and Core i7 6700 will never demand 250W under OC'd load so you're be fine with something like a Corsair CX450M.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||