New Intel vs new ryzen

Legit I haven't been involved in the new generation of processors. But I am talking about midrange processors not top dogs. So low end i7, i5, Xeon e3. 

1. Is there any advantages to one or other 

2. Cost efficient? 

3. Thanks in advanced! 

In gaming a 6700k/7700k is best, then an R5 1400/1600, then a G4560.

In rendering/multi threaded loads: an R7 1700 is best, then an R5 1600, then an R5 1400, then a G4560.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i7 7700k, i5 7600k, I don't know about xeons (this is all kaby lake!)

1. i7 still has multi threading and 4 cores on desktop, and k sku provides unlocked multiplier. 

i5 doesn't have multi threading and is 4 cores on desktop, stock speeds are slower than the i7. k sku provides unlocked multipliers. Also has less cache than the i7 (4mb opposed to 8mb)

i3 has multi threading but is only 2 cores and has less cache (2-4mb IIRC)

An Xeon is usually just a i7 without a iGPU and doesn't have overclocking features at all. 

for gaming, a kaby lake CPU is the best CPU you can buy. It has the best IPC and it overclocks the highest. But, there's only 4 cores. 

for or anyone else that does stuff that is multi threaded, go for zen. Much more cost effective. Has more cores, but the top chips can only overclock to 4/4.1ghz. It is also around 5% less ipc than Intel 

zen for content creation or heavy multithreaded wokrloads

i7 for gaming

i5 for budget gaming 

i3 for $500 builds 

Xeon if you want to save a bit of money but no overclocking. 

Also, zen is pretty good for gaming; don't get me wrong. It just won't be the best. It's like getting a 1080 as opposed to getting a 1080 that is binned for overclocking 

edit; am talking about top of the line CPUs. Talking about a 1800x. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Also, zen is pretty good for gaming; don't get me wrong. It just won't be the best. It's like getting a 1080 as opposed to getting a 1080 that is binned for overclocking 

Ryzen does get better frame times though. So while it gets less FPS, it's 1% lows and 0.1% lows are less than Intel Chips

TL:DR: Strictly gaming and not an ounce of anything else; Intel

Anything other task in addition to gaming (ESPECIALLY if you're looking at i5's) Ryzen

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1. i7 still has multi threading and 4 cores on desktop, and k sku provides unlocked multiplier. 

i5 doesn't have multi threading and is 4 cores on desktop, stock speeds are slower than the i7. k sku provides unlocked multipliers. Also has less cache than the i7 (4mb opposed to 8mb)

An Xeon is usually just a i7 without a iGPU and doesn't have overclocking features at all. 

for gaming, a kaby lake CPU is the best CPU you can buy. It has the best IPC and it overclocks the highest. But, there's only 4 cores. 

for or anyone else that does stuff that is multi threaded, go for zen. Much more cost effective. Has more cores, but the top chips can only overclock to 4/4.1ghz. It is also around 5% less ipc than Intel 

i7 for gaming

i5 for budget gaming 

i3 for $500 builds 

Why the i5 for budget gaming?

ryzen 5 performs the same if not better for the same price plus having the advantages of SMT or 6 cores if it's the 1600

1 minute ago, Spenser1337 said:

Why the i5 for budget gaming?

ryzen 5 performs the same if not better for the same price plus having the advantages of SMT or 6 cores if it's the 1600

I haven't kept up with the CPU game since ryzen 7 was available for preorder soo

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

I haven't kept up with the CPU game since ryzen 7 was available for preorder soo

So why are you answering a question you don't know the answer to? Very misleading 

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i7 for gaming

i5 for budget gaming 

i3 for $500 builds 

R5 > i5 for budget gaming. The 1600 is cheaper than the 7600k yet has two more physical cores, triple the threads, better minimums and frametimes, can multi task or stream and has room to grow in the future. Vs the i5 which can't stream without frame drop and is already maxed out in current games at 95-100% usage, therefore has no room to grow and 4 threads will soon become obsolete. The R5 makes the i5 a bad buy in 2017 and Intel need to overhaul what an i5 is for 2018 and onward.

Important Kaby Lake CPUs: Pentium G4560 and the i7 7700K.

Important Ryzen CPUs: R5 1600 and the R5 1700. It's debatable with the R5 1400 and R5 1500X but the R5 1600 just presents great value for a bit more money.

Gaming-wise, it goes Pentium G4560 for budget builds, R5 processors for mid-high end builds and then the i7 7700K for the best gaming performance possible.

Productivity-wise, it's more or less the same but instead of the i7 7700K, it's the R7 1700.

The Pentium G4560 made i3s irrelevant and the R5 processors made i5s irrelevant.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

i just did a new build with with ryzen 5 1600 here is my build and some benchmarks that might help you in your decision:

CPU- Ryzn 5 1600

Cooler - stock wraith spire

PSU - EVGA 650w 80plus gold

MOBO - gigabyte ab350 gaming

RAM - GeIL EVO Potenza 2x4gb ddr4 2400mhz

GPU - MSI RX580 armor 4gb

SSD - Adata 120gb

HDD - WD blue 1tb

Build cost was 1150 CAD I am overclocked to 3.95ghz at 1.346V stable with an idle temp of around 33-35c and after 1 hour stress on p95 core temp was 70c.benchmarks are below.

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Ryzen does get better frame times though. So while it gets less FPS, it's 1% lows and 0.1% lows are less than Intel Chips

That claim needs some specific games. A statement like that cannot ever be true as a general rule, games are too different from one another. I'm sure there are some where Ryzen does better in that regard, and others where Ryzen performs poorer.

Also, frame time latency can't be looked at like FPS where more is objectively better all the time. Better frame latency has diminishing returns. If the Intel chips already had frame times good enough that gameplay is smooth (which I suspect is almost always the case when dealing with upper end i5's and i7's), Ryzen having the "best" frame latency doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a better experience.

15 minutes ago, walkawalka said:

i just did a new build with with ryzen 5 1600 here is my build and some benchmarks that might help you in your decision:

CPU- Ryzn 5 1600

Cooler - stock wraith spire

PSU - EVGA 650w 80plus gold

MOBO - gigabyte ab350 gaming

RAM - GeIL EVO Potenza 2x4gb ddr4 2400mhz

GPU - MSI RX580 armor 4gb

SSD - Adata 120gb

HDD - WD blue 1tb

Build cost was 1150 CAD I am overclocked to 3.95ghz at 1.346V stable with an idle temp of around 33-35c and after 1 hour stress on p95 core temp was 70c.benchmarks are below.

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

update:

the build cost included shipping and taxes for my area as well