Silent Audio Production Rig, Stuffy hot room

Depends on how silent you really need?

If complete silence is your goal, one of the streamcom cases paired with a S or T skew cpu would be the best bet. Stick a passive power supply in, and one of the older 700 series graphics cards (I'm pretty sure that's the last time I saw a passively cooled graphics card)

If you're recording on your microphone with your computer in the same room then no fans.

Alternatively you can put the PC in a different room or closet and run the cables you need to your display.

18 hours ago, slightlyjaded said:

Depends on how silent you really need?

If complete silence is your goal, one of the streamcom cases paired with a S or T skew cpu would be the best bet. Stick a passive power supply in, and one of the older 700 series graphics cards (I'm pretty sure that's the last time I saw a passively cooled graphics card)

Can you provide examples?  I'm guessing this would be on older processors with less wattage?

2 hours ago, throknrolla said:

Can you provide examples?  I'm guessing this would be on older processors with less wattage?

S and T skew processers are available in each generation. They're basically processors who instead of being binned for overclocking headroom are binned for efficiency

https://ark.intel.com/products/97122/Intel-Core-i7-7700T-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

This is the latest T skew processor. at standard it's a 35W part tunable to 25W. If this rig is only for Audio production I'd leave out the graphics card, and just use the on board graphics.

http://www.streacom.com/

Streacom's homepage. They've made their name with passive cooling parts. I'm sure there are other companies doing this, but Streacom is who I'm most familiar with. Their top of the line cases have 65W of thermal dissapation expandable to 110W so you might not even need a low power cpu.

As far as video cards. The only passive offerings I could find from this generation are a GTX1050 from Palit, or a RX 460 from xfx. Depending on what side of the aisle you're on. On a side note most graphics card from Maxwell on (900 series and later) Have completely configurable fan curves including complete silence (with a custom BIOS flash) ASUS has been doing this for awhile now with their strix cards. The only problem is that the moment they're used for more than browsing the web the load means the fan kicks in.

Passive cooling is very much a niche market, as most people only need quiet, not silent.

This is kinda interesting...And if I needed an external video card I could get a board that has thunderbolt.