Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Processor Revealed (with pictures)

PCgamer324
1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Titans haven't been a professional card since the 700 series Titans.

#MakeTitansWorthBuyingAgain

Nvidia still markets them as professional cards.(I do get that they are not good Pro cards)

I like that Vega is a lot faster then the Titan Xp in the CAD benchmark. (SpecViewperf 12.1)

http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Nvidia still markets them as professional cards.(I do get that they are not good Pro cards)

I like that Vega is a lot faster then the Titan Xp in the CAD benchmark. (SpecViewperf 12.1)

http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

From a buisness perspective this should be compared with the Quadro GP100. It will be the card it is competing against in the professional market. The are the closest in similarity as well, as both have 16GB of HBM2. That is more of an equal line up considering we have no price.

44 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

From a buisness perspective this should be compared with the Quadro GP100. It will be the card it is competing against in the professional market. The are the closest in similarity as well, as both have 16GB of HBM2. That is more of an equal line up considering we have no price.

doesnt this depend on price?

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

doesnt this depend on price?

It can. It depends, most of the time buisness that need cards similar to these, will want the best offerings available regardless of price. That's why NVidia made a GP100 version for the Quadro. Same goes for Intel's E7 8890v4, companies will ask for the best they have to offer for a specific price and they go from there.

That was a short version since I'm on my phone.

24 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It can. It depends, most of the time buisness that need cards similar to these, will want the best offerings available regardless of price. That's why NVidia made a GP100 version for the Quadro. Same goes for Intel's E7 8890v4, companies will ask for the best they have to offer for a specific price and they go from there.

That was a short version since I'm on my phone.

ok

there are millions of companies that have budgets

there are millions of people that work at home that have budgets

The watter cooled one looks nice all golden heh. Potentially both air and AiO for Radeon RX Vega maybe, we'll see.

But would be awesome to see something like this!
56939_03_amd-radeon-rx-vega-teased-thras

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

59 minutes ago, pas008 said:

ok

there are millions of companies that have budgets

there are millions of people that work at home that have budgets

Yes you are correct. Companies that want products like these, however, have space or time budgets that are more valuable of an asset to them than actual money, and they want the best that they can offer and cost isn't as large of an issue (obviously I don't see a company willing to spend $50k on a GPU unless its some kind of insane technological leap.)

I don't see john doe spending $8,900 a piece on a Quadro GP100. I can see a company filling a server with them since NVLink allows great scale-ability.

5 hours ago, Valentyn said:

In before it's some horrific amalgamation of 8GB HBM 2 + 8GB GDDR5. :o

Looking at that water cooled Vega card, the size doesn't make any sense if it's a single GPU card.

*Puts on Tinfoil hat*
If it was purely an HBM2 GPU it would be around the size of the Fury X. Instead it's a full length PCB card.

The card has 16GB but only 480GB/s bandwidth. That means either 4 stacks of 4GB, which would mean significantly higher bandwidth. Or they're using two 8GB stacks, which is also unlikely. Neither Samsung nor SK Hynix has shown any working.

Even Ryan Smith at Anandtech doesn't know how AMD might have done that.

Calling it here folks, Vega 16GB is actually 8GB HBM2, and 8GB GDDR5 using the HBCC to use it all.

They don't list the card as having 16GB HBM2, they state and list 16GB HBC - High Bandwidth Cache.

I was thinking this too, perhaps they are using 8GB of GDDR5X for a higher level cache and 8GB of HBM as the lower level. Then again this sounds overly complex and unlikely considering the signalling required.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

20 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

Do people these days prefer "modern" Razer-esque designs that has weird angular lines and LEDs all over the place? I prefer the look of old Nvidia reference cards but people seem to like the Founders Edition more for some reason even though it looked something that would appeal to 13 year olds. 

Yeah I'm not really a fan of modern designs whether they be blower or custom. I miss card designs like the Sapphire Vapor 290x personally, but the leaked design for one of the Vega cards earlier this year gives me some hope (although it'll be replaced by a water block for me). WhyCry from VideoCardz had a bit of fun playing around with potential colours for the cards and two of them looked pretty nice imo, almost identical to the leaked images.

VEGA2.jpg

VEGA4-1.jpg

I would gladly buy and use either of those.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

12 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

The watter cooled one looks nice all golden heh. Potentially both air and AiO for Radeon RX Vega maybe, we'll see.

But would be awesome to see something like this!
56939_03_amd-radeon-rx-vega-teased-thras

Maybe we'll hear more on April 1st when the NDA lifts.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

16 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Well the red matches the temps of the card lol jk maybe

and the black is when it is toasted

Looks like the wait for the gaming version of vega won't be as long as some people were thinking (heard some say not till dec)

http://wccftech.com/amd-lower-priced-gaming-optimized-radeon-rx-vega-coming/

Radeon RX Vega Frontier Edition is not coming out until late June. AMD announced that the Frotnier Edition will be the first Vega based card they’re going to release and based on Raja’s statement, you’ll have to wait “a little while longer” for the gaming oriented Radeon RX Vega. At this point we’d be looking at a Q3 2017 launch for the gaming Vega parts.

21 hours ago, Valentyn said:

In before it's some horrific amalgamation of 8GB HBM 2 + 8GB GDDR5. :o

Looking at that water cooled Vega card, the size doesn't make any sense if it's a single GPU card.

*Puts on Tinfoil hat*
If it was purely an HBM2 GPU it would be around the size of the Fury X. Instead it's a full length PCB card.

The card has 16GB but only 480GB/s bandwidth. That means either 4 stacks of 4GB, which would mean significantly higher bandwidth. Or they're using two 8GB stacks, which is also unlikely. Neither Samsung nor SK Hynix has shown any working.

Even Ryan Smith at Anandtech doesn't know how AMD might have done that.

Calling it here folks, Vega 16GB is actually 8GB HBM2, and 8GB GDDR5 using the HBCC to use it all.

They don't list the card as having 16GB HBM2, they state and list 16GB HBC - High Bandwidth Cache.

Or, you know, they did what some companies do and extend the PCB to ridiculous lengths with blank spaces to make it look nice. Or extend out the fan shroud to yet again, ridiculous lengths. Because these look to be 12 inches long, which is too much for even a single GPU card with GD5 chips. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Or, you know, they did what some companies do and extend the PCB to ridiculous lengths with blank spaces to make it look nice. Or extend out the fan shroud to yet again, ridiculous lengths. Because these look to be 12 inches long, which is too much for even a single GPU card with GD5 chips. 

The blank space is pointless for the water cooled version they're showing off; which is why it's all so odd looking.
It's the same size as the Frontier Edition air cooled one.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

11 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

The blank space is pointless for the water cooled version they're showing off; which is why it's all so odd looking.
It's the same size as the Frontier Edition air cooled one.

But card makes will do it anyway. I've seen cards where the entire top part of the PCB was just blank :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

20 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

HOLY SHIT A REFERENCE CARD THAT IS THE COLOR OF MY DREAM?

IKR! WE NEED MOAR BLUE GRAPHICS CARDS!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On 5/17/2017 at 2:43 AM, mr moose said:

What has not being a consumer card got to do with how they look?  If they are going to go to the trouble to put a glowy letter in the corner and flashy logo sticker on the front at least they could have rounded the corners and put a v grove down the middle or something.  Either that or go the other way and make it solely functional and knock a few dollars of the price.  I am sure a company that needs to buy ten+ of these would appreciate paying less and not have the glowy letter no one will see. 

At least they don't look like Optimus prime's dick with a green GeForce logo 

15 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

But card makes will do it anyway. I've seen cards where the entire top part of the PCB was just blank :P

The only card maker of these is AMD, and why would they waste the money on it when it can just be Fury X size; that's if it's all just using HBM2 on the GPU interposer.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

At least they don't look like Optimus prime's dick with a green GeForce logo 

Hmmm,  60's appliance or robot dick?  Maybe these companies should sack their designers and have user replaceable covers with distinct themes, they could have different covers i.e early star trek, late star trek, star wars, DC comics,  Steam punk etc.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.