Nvidia GT 1030 on 220W psu

Ares5933

Nvidia recently released the GT 1030, a low end dedicated graphics card that only uses a maximum of 30W and takes power directly from the PCIe lane. Will this card work with a 220W psu? Nvidia recommends a 300W power supply but I'm wondering if its possible to run this card anyway. (link to gt 1030 specs from nvidia http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications ) 

1 minute ago, Ares5933 said:

Nvidia recently released the GT 1030, a low end dedicated graphics card that only uses a maximum of 30W and takes power directly from the PCIe lane. Will this card work with a 220W psu? Nvidia recommends a 300W power supply but I'm wondering if its possible to run this card anyway. (link to gt 1030 specs from nvidia http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications ) 

Here you go friend:

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

Full specs of the PC?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

It'd be enough but why on earth would you want a GT 1030?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It'd be enough but why on earth would you want a GT 1030?

its better than intel HD 4600, and not many cards use little enough power and are small form factor to fit in the case and use the current power supply, its a struggle lol

those ultra low profile GTX1050 do not need a external GPU power plug

you can try that

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, Ares5933 said:

its better than intel HD 4600, and not many cards use little enough power and are small form factor to fit in the case and use the current power supply, its a struggle lol

Fairly sure you can get a low-profile GTX 1050/Tis that don't require a PCIe connector.

The thing is that the GT 1030 presents a terrible price/performance when you can have much better performance for not much more. It's a general rule of thumb to not go below *50 when it comes to NVIDIA cards.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Fairly sure you can get a low-profile GTX 1050/Tis that don't require a PCIe connector.

The thing is that the GT 1030 presents a terrible price/performance when you can have much better performance for not much more. It's a general rule of thumb to not go below *50 when it comes to NVIDIA cards.

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

those ultra low profile GTX1050 do not need a external GPU power plug

you can try that

Even taking into consideration actual power consumption (the power consumption of that i5 is under 60W, going off my i5 4440), the 220W PSU wouldn't be enough for a GTX 1050.

38 minutes ago, Ares5933 said:

The GT 1030 might be OK. But you will have issues with the powersupply in the future as it ages as it would be running close to the edge of its load limits, also a GT 1030 is poor value for money so if you can also see if you can find a higher wattage PSU that will fit the case+motherboard (if I remember correctly Acer uses their own version of the 24pin connector).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Whatever happened to those rumors that the 1030 was even with or ahead of the 750 Ti in benchmarks?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Even taking into consideration actual power consumption (the power consumption of that i5 is under 60W, going off my i5 4440), the 220W PSU wouldn't be enough

You're overestimating the power consumption of the GTX 1050/Ti. When the card runs solely from the PCIe slot, it sort of implies that the card only consumes 75W or less under load. Realistically, you're looking at around 100W total system consumption in typical gaming workloads.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You're overestimating the power consumption of the GTX 1050/Ti. When the card runs solely from the PCIe slot, it sort of implies that the card only consumes 75W or less under load. Realistically, you're looking at around 100W total system consumption in typical gaming workloads.

Remember that the 220W is spread across the 5V, 3.3V and 12V rails, with each having their own limit.

PMSL

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Remember that the 220W is spread across the 5V, 3.3V and 12V rails, with each having their own limit.

Chances that a Acer prebuilt won't have an absolute dogshit unit that can't supply enough power on the 12V rail.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Chances that a Acer prebuilt won't have an absolute dogshit unit that can't supply enough power on the 12V rail.

Turns out, its over 200W on the 12V rail, with very little on the 5V and no 3V.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Turns out, its over 200W on the 12V rail, with very little on the 5V and no 3V.

That's typically a good thing. Acer's units are usually from decent OEMs such as LiteOn and Delta.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

That's typically a good thing. Acer's units are usually from decent OEMs such as LiteOn and Delta.

From a 250W unit that I saw on Ebay, they also seem to use FSP. Its been a while since I worked with an Acer compact (and those had Celeron D or Pentium D)

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

From a 250W unit that I saw on Ebay, they also seem to use FSP. Its been a while since I worked with an Acer compact (and those had Celeron D or Pentium D)

And I also saw a Chicony in there somewhere...

Point being, the units that come with Acer prebuilts (or any prebuilt from Dell, HP etc.) is unlikely to come with a dodgy power supply.

Spoiler

16 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

but the 1050 will never run on a 220W psu, the 1030 might just barely 

1 hour ago, Ares5933 said:

I think you overestimate the power usage of the rest of the PC. I'd say around 150w under heavy load with a 1050. My i5 is about 40w under gaming and you can undercoat pretty far on Pascal if you're willing to spend 5 minutes

Source: 1060 running at 899mv 

That's an F in the profile pic

Well, just to throw this into the power issue, my Alienware Alpha R2 has a i7 6700T and a full desktop glass GTX 960 4GB with 16GB 2400 RAM, a 2TB HDD and a 256GB M.2 drive, and it all runs on a 180W PSU!!!

The 960 is overclocked too!.

7 hours ago, Ares5933 said:

I just said it will mate. If you don't believe me, go read some reviews. Even so, chances are reviewers are also using more power hungry CPU in their tests.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I just said it will mate. If you don't believe me, go read some reviews. Even so, chances are reviewers are also using more power hungry CPU in their tests.

Which is why I'm happy to use my Geforce FX5500 with my Pentium III 1000EB. Since it consumes around 30W on the 5V rail (70W max) instead of consuming 80W+ on the 12V rai. That's with a "400W" PSU that can only output 250W across all rails, which is that old that it only has 1x SATA connector & an almost ghetto 4 pin CPU connector.

Spoiler

Oh and despite being light as a feather, its; overload, short circuit and overtemp protection works perfectly. Unlike most included with case PSU-of which I had 1 short out and catch fire (who'd have thought that an old generic 2005 switching PSU is better than a 2013 Thermaltake non-switching PSU)

PMSL

44 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

i dont understand, I'm new to Pc building. the cpu in question uses about 84W at full load and the 1050 uses 75W at full load, between the two plus other system devices wouldn't it go over the 220W limit? 

52 minutes ago, Ares5933 said:

i dont understand, I'm new to Pc building. the cpu in question uses about 84W at full load and the 1050 uses 75W at full load, between the two plus other system devices wouldn't it go over the 220W limit? 

In an absolute, worst case scenario, you'd be looking around 150W total system power consumption. Still plenty of headroom.

Components other than the CPU and GPU don't consume much power at all.

Spoiler

• 5 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 9:40 PM, HKZeroFive said:

Total power consumption isn't what matters. That's just not how power supplies work. Power usage is not just pulled from a pool of "220W" or "300W" or whatever. It's pulled from individual power rails. The issue is potentially overloading one of the 12V rails.