Google survive Genericide

WMGroomAK

How do you tell someone to search?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. When telling someone to search on the internet, how do you tell them?

• Google It
    • Bing It
    • Search It
    • Other

I saw this article and thought it was kind of funny...  According to a ruling in a US Federal Appeals court, Google will be allowed to keep the trademark to the name Google.  Apparently at issue is whether the term google has become so predominate in usage that it would preclude you from having a search engine without using the term 'googling' to describe a search.  

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/genericide-assault-to-nullify-the-google-trademark-fails/

A federal appeals court sided with Google in a case brought by a man who bought 763 domains with the term "google" in them. The court ruled that Google still retains its trademark even if the term "google" has become known for searching the Internet. One reason is because Google is a search engine and a whole lot more.

"Even if we assume that the public uses the verb 'google' in a generic and indiscriminate sense, this tells us nothing about how the public primarily understands the word itself, irrespective of its grammatical function, with regard to Internet search engines," the San Francisco-based 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled. The court noted that trademark loss to genericide occurs when the name has become an "exclusive descriptor" that makes it difficult for competitors to compete unless they use that name.

I guess this could be considered good news for Microsoft as they now have no chance of worrying about losing a trademark for Bing.  :P

EDIT:  I've added a poll for those interested...

Edited by WMGroomAK
Added a poll

I have never used "google" to replace "search" and don't see how a trademark dispute could happen over uncommonly common word usage.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

There's a good reason nobody has ever Yahoo!'d anything.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I have never used "google" to replace "search" and don't see how a trademark dispute could happen over uncommonly common word usage.

I think you're in a very small minority there. Most people I come across use the term "Google it" instead of "Search for it" or something similar. 

You may be surprised how many trademarks are actually genericized (or rather, close to it) and have just become the word for that thing. Videotape, Trampoline, Escalator and Sellotape are all genericized trademarks. They get to a point where they become the accepted and most commonly used term. 

Depends entirely on who I am talking to. I will say "Google it" to someone who is not / not very technology literate; they will associate the name with that white page that appears upon opening a browser where you enter text into a bar.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

To be honest I like to say "google is your friend" IRL. So I'm one of those people in question.

In order to get some better idea on how prevalent 'googling it' is in the lexicon, I've created a poll for this. 

I always say "google it" (or "googla" as we say here in Sweden.) and most people I know tend to use the phrase instead of saying e.g "look it up". I could totally see the court ruling in favor of the random man instead of Google.

Perhaps it's only me, but when I tell somebody to google it. I mean use Google specifically. Chances that most of the other search engines will provide anything useful as quickly or as highly ranked is at most very slim.

If I was generalising for somebody to look online I wouldn't say to google it. 

I'm pretty sure bing only gets reffered to as a joke. I've never heard anybody say "bing it" without being sarcastic or facetious. (Sure somebody probably has but I've never heard it)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I duckduckgo it.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I duckduckgo it.

I have DDG, but 100% of the time I !g

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

10 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I think you're in a very small minority there. Most people I come across use the term "Google it" instead of "Search for it" or something similar. 

You may be surprised how many trademarks are actually genericized (or rather, close to it) and have just become the word for that thing. Videotape, Trampoline, Escalator and Sellotape are all genericized trademarks. They get to a point where they become the accepted and most commonly used term. 

Kleenex, Jell-O, Bandaid, Dremel, Photoshop to name a few more.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

"Google it" all the way, lol

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

13 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Wait so what the hell is a trampoline or escalator really called? Lol

6 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Wait so what the hell is a trampoline or escalator really called? Lol

Trampoline and Escalator are both genericized trademarks, so they're not actually trade marks anymore and have become the actual term for those things. I suppose Escalator would be called "moving mechanical stairs" or something similar. Not sure what you'd try to call a Trampoline in a generic way. 

There's a lot of trademarks that have become generic but have not lost their trademark because of it. Things like Velcro, Biro, Dremel, Frisbee etc. are examples of those. 

3 hours ago, trag1c said:

Kleenex, Jell-O, Bandaid, Dremel, Photoshop to name a few more.

None of those are actually (fully/officially) Genericized, they still retain their trademark, like Google has. They're ones (like the examples in this post) that are used as a general term by a lot of people but have not lost their trademark because of it. 

What's next? Nintendo screwing people because they say switch?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The poll is full of lies, Everyone says google it because they are either speaking to non techies or they are non techies or they are techies speaking to techies but they still say it becasue they know what it means and don't care.

everyone knows google is a company even though they use the noun as a verb.  

Except me, I say: Please enact a comparative binary lookup and retrieval script  using data transfer protocols across an interconnected network of computers and display the result using a hypertext markup language format reader.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I say "Google it" to like 99% of people I know because it's the only search engine that's worth a damn to 99% of people I know.

I say "look it up" or "go search it" to my friends who use DuckDuckGo though.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I say "Google it" to like 99% of people I know because it's the only search engine that's worth a damn to 99% of people I know.

I say "look it up" or "go search it" to my friends who use DuckDuckGo though.

I tell people to "Google it", yet I gave up on Google a while ago.  Much like "Photoshop it", Google is as much a verb as a Service now.