Anti Static Bag Substitute?

I am thinking of selling 16gb of ram on ebay, reddit and ltt forums but I can't get any anti static bags to ship it in so are there any alternatives I can use to ship ram?

Paper, or cardboard will do just fine.

Does you mum know you're here?

a local computer store used aluminium foil to pack rams or cpu's for short travels.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

a local computer store used aluminium foil to pack rams or cpu's for short travels.

That would be incorrect as the whole thing is conductive - any static electricity applied to the surface will conduct through, and hit the components. An anti-static bag is only conductive on the outside, effectively putting the component in a Faraday cage. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Aluminum foil is conductive though... This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I think Styrofoam is a much better alternative. Lol!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Not a good idea. Imagine charging yourself with static electricity and then touching the aluminum foil and discharging yourself in the aluminum sheet.

Something simple ... take a corrugated cardboard box and cut a couple of rectangles the size of the memory stick and then sandwitch the memory between the cardboard pieces and use some scotch tape to keep the pieces together.

Or get a CD/DVD case and put the memory stick inside the CD/DVD case and ship it like that.

Basically ANYTHING that would make the envelope hard to bend during shipping and something that would protect the stick from the weight (or spread the weight over a bigger surface) of a few Kg / pounds of other envelopes pressing it down.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I think Styrofoam is a much better alternative. Lol!

Though there you will be actively generating static electricity during movement.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ship it in whatever you want, it'll be fine.

And for the record, aluminum foil would also be fine since it'll dissipate charge across its surface.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And for the record, aluminum foil would also be fine since it'll dissipate charge across its surface.

It will conduct through. Electrify a piece of aluminum and touch the other side. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It will conduct through. Electrify a piece of aluminum and touch the other side. 

Why don't fish get electrocuted in the ocean by lightning?  Because it's a good conductor the charge stays near the surface.  Same principle here.  Static is a transient it's not a constant electrocution.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Why don't fish get electrocuted in the ocean by lightning?  Because it's a good conductor the charge stays near the surface.  Same principle here.  Static is a transient it's not a constant electrocution.

There's enough surface area to dissipate the charge, and the ocean is quite large. If a fish is near the point that gets hit, it will probably get electrocuted. 

Take this how you will, but we use effectively aluminum foil over our electronics at my workplace, but with one difference. The opposite side is not conductive. 

39 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

There's enough surface area to dissipate the charge, and the ocean is quite large. If a fish is near the point that gets hit, it will probably get electrocuted. 

Take this how you will, but we use effectively aluminum foil over our electronics at my workplace, but with one difference. The opposite side is not conductive. 

ok so I am guessing just like a paper bag or cardboard will do for a inexpensive alternative? 

1 minute ago, EnderCat said:

ok so I am guessing just like a paper bag or cardboard will do for a inexpensive alternative? 

Unless it's specifically ESD cardboard, no. Both will generate a static charge.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Unless it's specifically ESD cardboard, no. Both will generate a static charge.

He's shipping RAM sticks he's not shipping a priceless electronic artifact :)  I've tossed them on plush carpet without problem.

stick then in a paper sandwich bag with 3 balls of aluminum foil and 6 fully charged 9 volt batteries then before you ship it give the bag a real good shake...

derp

22 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

He's shipping RAM sticks he's not shipping a priceless electronic artifact :)  I've tossed them on plush carpet without problem.

This is about being safe with someone else's electronics. I'm not going to encourage someone to do something that could jeopardize their products - if you decide to, fine. But I'm not. If they want to put RAM in a paper bag, that's his prerogative. I have given the OP the best information to ensure the product arrives to where it goes with no problems due to static electricity.  

I've used Kraft paper before (that brown packing paper) to wrap around components and they worked just fine.

Otherwise you can just get some anti static bubble wrap at Staples. (and also envelopes) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This is about being safe with someone else's electronics. I'm not going to encourage someone to do something that could jeopardize their products - if you decide to, fine. But I'm not. If they want to put RAM in a paper bag, that's his prerogative. I have given the OP the best information to ensure the product arrives to where it goes with no problems due to static electricity.  

well is there any house hold items I can use?

4 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

well is there any house hold items I can use?

paper towels should be fine...

derp

OK so I am going to be selling some ram online and I was looking for some way to get free anti static bags as I don't have my own. So I found this website www.associatedbag.com and they sell them in bulk but they also give free samples so I am ordering some of those. I want to know that my ram is safe so is there any way to test if they really are anti static?

3 minutes ago, EnderCat said:

OK so I am going to be selling some ram online and I was looking for some way to get free anti static bags as I don't have my own. So I found this website www.associatedbag.com and they sell them in bulk but they also give free samples so I am ordering some of those. I want to know that my ram is safe so is there any way to test if they really are anti static?

Best guess is to do this: 

Current Build:

i5 8600k @ 3.6 GHZ - Corsair H115i AIO

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Dual Fan

24 GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHZ (3x8)

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

SPCC M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 512 GB

SPCC SSD 128GB

Intel Optane 16 GB M10

WD 2.0 TB Blue

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI

EVGA 430W White 80+

Fractal Design Focus G Gray

Dell E2010H @ 60HZ

Multimeter should help you out. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Bro, just order some decent ones from Amazon so you don't have to worry.  They aren't expensive.

I would if I had any money but I don't have a job and I used all my money for the last part of my new computer