165hz vs 144hz for FPS gaming

Edelrat
Go to solution Solved by daniellearmouth,

nah m8 the average person dusn't see past 24fps just stick with teh cinematic experiens :^)

But for real, as someone who uses a 144Hz panel along side a 60Hz panel, and I can honestly say there is a substantial difference. However, as with most things, displays suffer from diminishing returns once you get past a certain point with frame rates. When they go past 100Hz they start to kinda blur together almost, making the differences feel somewhat negligable.
I would personally go with the 144Hz panel simply because it's cheaper.

Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my monitor. I am looking at two monitors:

Asus PG278Q

Asus PG279QR

Yes I know, they are (mostly) the same monitor. The one feature that I am really not sure about, is 165hz.

I am playing FPS games on a highly competitve level, so I am not really sure if I can profit from the +21hz. I have already done some research, but there isn't really a answer. Some say, that there is no difference at all, some say there is a big difference..

My plan is to buy the monitor used (so I can save some money), but the QR is still 100-200€ more expensive.

What is your guy's oppinion on this?

Thanks in advance!

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

Can you try them out in store? 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Can you try them out in store? 

Sadly not, no stores I know of in my area have them on display. Even if they had, I dont think they show content that runs over 165 fps.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

You won't be able to notice a difference. At a certain point, and 144Hz falls in that point, it's just epeen and placebo affect.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my monitor. I am looking at two monitors:

Asus PG278Q

Asus PG289QR

Yes I know, they are (mostly) the same monitor. The one feature that I am really not sure about, is 165hz.

I am playing FPS games on a highly competitve level, so I am not really sure if I can profit from the +21hz. I have already done some research, but there isn't really a answer. Some say, that there is no difference at all, some say there is a big difference..

My plan is to buy the monitor used (so I can save some money), but the QR is still 100-200€ more expensive.

What is your guy's oppinion on this?

Thanks in advance!

You will have a slight advantage over most of your competitors since the standard for gaming is 144Hz. However, I don't think the difference will be noticeable.

If you are willing to downscale to 1080p, you could try the 240Hz ASUS PG258Q since that has a much higher refresh rate if you really want the maximum advantage over your competitors.

It isn't worth the extra money. When you are talking high refresh rates like this, there isn't much of a difference, unless you have a very good eye for detail. 144 Hz is good enough for all competitive games. 

For me the difference is noticeable but not worth it extra €100..let alone €200.

Only if the 165Hz had G-Sync or IPS and the 144Hz didn't.

nah m8 the average person dusn't see past 24fps just stick with teh cinematic experiens :^)

But for real, as someone who uses a 144Hz panel along side a 60Hz panel, and I can honestly say there is a substantial difference. However, as with most things, displays suffer from diminishing returns once you get past a certain point with frame rates. When they go past 100Hz they start to kinda blur together almost, making the differences feel somewhat negligable.
I would personally go with the 144Hz panel simply because it's cheaper.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Seems like you all have the same oppinion.

I am going to get the PG278Q then, unless I can get the QR for pretty much the same price.

Thank you all!

1 minute ago, GamingMemeKing said:

I just googled Asus PG289QR and couldn't find it?

It's the PG278QR, little typo there.

So I have the Acer predator Gysnc IPS 1440p 165hz. I can tell you that I notice the difference from 165hz to 144hz, but you would never see that difference unless you first played at 165hz for a while, then had it drop. So as said unless the price is comparable, the 144hz is fine, anything above 100 is a huge difference.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Side note, the cheaper is a TN pannel and the other is an IPS. So colour accuracy will also be a factor but if its just for gaming then doesnt really impact that much.

36 minutes ago, SneerRolts said:

Side note, the cheaper is a TN pannel and the other is an IPS. So colour accuracy will also be a factor but if its just for gaming then doesnt really impact that much.

They are both TN-Pannels. The IPS equivalent would be the PG279Q

Oh silly me you make a good point in my glance I discounted the R somehow. 

Also quick thought as I noticed the pricing in my area, the Acer XB271HU is only £15 more. Might be worth a look in your area if you havent made the purchase already.

I have the AOC AG271QG (1440p, 165hz IPS) and I don't really notice a difference between 165hz and 144hz. Granted I had a 60hz monitor before this, and I swtiched recently, so that might effect my experience somehow.