Best Wifi Router for £300 or less

A Silver

I have the normal BT smart hub and i get 30-50mbps which is low. I heard some people have different routers but still use BT and get nearly 200mbps. What is a better router?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

What's your current router, and what speed does BT claim you can get? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What's your current router, and what speed does BT claim you can get? 

My router is called the BT smart hub and i don't know what speeds i am meant to get. I know it should be more but that is it?

PC Specs:

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

My router is called the BT smart hub and i don't know what speeds i am meant to get. I know it should be more but that is it?

I'd just look for a good router from Linksys or Netgear that is rated for 802.11ac (It can handle up to 300mbps, so it shouldn't bottleneck). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

if you only subscribe for 30-50mbps package any router won't give you anymore speed.

and if you don't know the exact number, I assume you are not the one who's paying for it.

2 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

if you only subscribe for 30-50mbps package any router won't give you anymore speed.

and if you don't know the exact number, I assume you are not the one who's paying for it.

I know i am meant to be getting 70 minimum 

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

google about the Linksys E1700:

"Linksys E1700 speeds up to N300 Mbps and creates a powerful wireless network. 4 Gigabit ports deliver 10x faster transfer rates than Ethernet for photos, video and data files."

in the Netherlands you can get it for €50, which is about £43

I don't know if it is available in other countrys

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

BTs current biggest package is 76Mbps down, so whoever you are getting that info from is chatting shit boss.

Your speed will all depend on what Infinity package you are on, and then on the sync speed to your router.

Edit: PLEASE DO NOT BUY A DIFFERENT ROUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECEKD THIS. BT currently provides the best ISP provided router in the UK.

Edited by redanalog
Extra info required

fistly check your speeds with your ISP, calling them and having someone look at your account and telling you what speed you pay for then double check this with a computer that is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable(as wifi has too many variables that can cause a slow down in network performance even when you are right next to the router)
second if you do determine you need a new router for the amount of money you listed id suggest looking into building your own router(shouldnt cost any more than $200), there are plenty of free firewall/routing software out on the market that are user friendly, id suggest either pfsense(not very user friendly but very capable in terms of functionality) or sophos utm(very capable but limited to 50 IP Addresses and from what i read its user friendly) and if the OS you have doesnt support built in wireless cards(pfsense does support this) to be used as an access point, you can buy a cheap access point or wireless router that has an access point feature(netgear comes to mind or heck even your old router might have that feature)

First you need to confirm what sort of VDSL speed your telephone line can manage. That can be done with the BT Wholesale DSL Checker. Enter your phone number and check the VDSL values. The range A high values are the best case scenarios and the range B low values are the worst case scenarios.

I have FTTP here at home so below is an example for a property that's close to the cabinet. Once you've determined the maximum speed your line could achieve you need to ring BT and confirm you're on the 76Mbps package and what your "point of sale speed" is. Once you've got this information you then need to do some digging and find out what sort of hardware is in the cabinet you're connected to. Purchasing a VDSL router with the same chipset as your cabinet can help line stability and speed.

Let us know the results of your investigations and I will talk you though finding out what cabinet equipment you've got :)

(I promise this all worthwhile :) )

591def7d36aa3_ScreenShot2017-05-18at8_00_56PM.png.574244d6dd7cf39d53d45a7c5fc14a59.png

Netgear R7000 is a really solid choice

______     ______     ______     ______     __  __     __   __     ______     __   __     ______     ______  
/\  __ \   /\  == \   /\  __ \   /\  ___\   /\ \_\ \   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\__  _\ 
\ \  __ \  \ \  __<   \ \  __ \  \ \ \____  \ \  __ \  \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \/_/\ \/ 
 \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\    \ \_\ 
  \/_/\/_/   \/_/ /_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_/\/_/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/     \/_/ 

Bt do offer 330/30 but that's fibre to the premises. The other options they do are 55/10 and 80/20.

if you could login to your router, by googling how to and screenshot your sync speed I can assist you further. The smart hub should tell you your current sync speed and your max attainable.