Intel Optane works fine on Linux

Sniperfox47

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-optane-16gb&num=1

So Michael Larabel over at phoronix did some testing of a 16GB optane module on Linux and it worked just fine on it's own as a standalone nvme boot drive for Ubuntu. Bcache tests for caching are still incoming because he hasn't had time to play much, but he did some quick benchmarks on it.

I hadn't seen any Linux tests of Intel Optane to date, so was very curious how this new class of Intel storage is performing. My initial tests were done with an Intel Core i7 7700K Kabylake box with MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard. First I upgraded the BIOS on this motherboard for adding the Optane memory compatibility and then installed it into the M.2 slot. Optane is only supported by Kabylake (7th Gen) Intel CPUs and newer.

With the updated BIOS on this Kabylake motherboard, the Intel 16GB Optane memory worked just fine. When booting up a USB installation of Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64, the Intel Optane 16GB device was detected right away as an NVMe block device.

Raw performance of the drive in his tests as a boot drive put it slightly faster (~15%) than a 256GB 950 Pro for random reads.

Random writes were another story, putting it at roughly half the speed of the 950 Pro which shouldn't impact it's caching performance.

Keep in mind also that this is also the 16GB model so it's literally a single 128Gbit xPoint chip, vs the 16 128Gbit NAND chips in the 950 Pro. As the size of the drives hit 64GB (4 chips) and up they should be strictly better than the 950/960 by a pretty large margin assuming a decent controller.

Also keep in mind the tests that he did on the drive were also standard io benchmarks, and reflect more upon raw throughput and not the latency benefits of xPoint.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Raw performance of the drive in his tests as a boot drive put it slightly faster (~15%) than a 256GB 950 Pro for random reads.

This! This right here is exciting!

Anything that can reduce the time Displayfusion takes to load on startup is more time I can use to not wait.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Optane in Linux + a SATA III SSD looks like a promising replacing for paying quite a bit more for a 950 pro or similar. Though probably not for long.

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Optane in Linux + a SATA III SSD looks like a promising replacing for paying quite a bit more for a 950 pro or similar. Though probably not for long.

Keep in mind if going for this option though to get the 32GB Optane drive or your write speed will be limited by the slow writes on the 16GB model. And if you don't use write-back mode you'll still write at the Sata SSD speed even then.

33 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Also keep in mind the tests that he did on the drive were also standard io benchmarks, and reflect more upon raw throughput and not the latency benefits of xPoint.

Pitty since IOPs and latency are the key points to Optane, hopefully that gets tested.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Pitty since IOPs and latency are the key points to Optane, hopefully that gets tested.

Yeah, looking forward to his tests throughout the week, will update the OP with more info when available. Was tested for iops, just at a higher queue depth.

58 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't think I would consider that a slight performance lead. Anything around 15% higher is more significant than "slight."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think I would consider that a slight performance lead. Anything around 15% higher is more significant than "slight."

I guess so. It's about inline with the move from a 256GB 950 Pro up to a 512GB 950 Pro or 1TB 960 Pro though. It's no night and day difference. We'll see much bigger gaps as the number of xPoint chips scale for larger drives.

How come only Linux works? isn't this handled at a BIOS level? and if it's detected as an NVME device, then why does everyone say I can't install windows on one?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

How come only Linux works? isn't this handled at a BIOS level? and if it's detected as an NVME device, then why does everyone say I can't install windows on one?

No idea *if* only linux works. All the other info I've seen with them being Windows exclusive, working only for boot drives, requiring Kaby Lake and RST/SRT has all been issued by Intel.

We'll have to see some reviews to know whether it can be used as a Windows Boot drive. Although a 16/32GB Windows boot drive seems really small.

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

You can install Windows on it. People are misinformed. Windows 10 and Kaby Lake w/ appropriate chipset are required to utilize the caching function. Otherwise, it acts as a normal M.2 NVMe.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

No idea *if* only linux works. All the other info I've seen with them being Windows exclusive, working only for boot drives, requiring Kaby Lake and RST/SRT has all been issued by Intel.

We'll have to see some reviews to know whether it can be used as a Windows Boot drive. Although a 16/32GB Windows boot drive seems really small.

32GB should be.. doable.

if you install all your programs on a D:/ drive, then maybe it could work.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

32GB should be.. doable.

if you install all your programs on a D:/ drive, then maybe it could work.

Idk. wish Windows had better support for softlinks so I could hoard everything on my desktop without having to choose between either destroying my tiny SSD, or going through the nightmare of migrating my user directory to another disk...

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You can install Windows on it. People are misinformed. Windows 10 and Kaby Lake w/ appropriate chipset are required to utilize the caching function. Otherwise, it acts as a normal M.2 NVMe.

rs.png

Desktop:

Laptop:

8 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

This! This right here is exciting!

Anything that can reduce the time Displayfusion takes to load on startup is more time I can use to not wait.

This, however, is not:

Random writes were another story, putting it at roughly half the speed of the 950 Pro

Why are these so slow in write?  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Idk. wish Windows had better support for softlinks so I could hoard everything on my desktop without having to choose between either destroying my tiny SSD, or going through the nightmare of migrating my user directory to another disk...

You can move your "Desktop" folder to wherever

4.PNG.1752db2da4f7970f0c7e5172d01e3fcd.PNG

Beyond that, while it isn't beautiful, Windows and NTFS do support functioning symlinks - I've used them before for things including but not limited to Steam libraries.

Use the mklink /d command

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

41 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Beyond that, while it isn't beautiful, Windows and NTFS do support functioning symlinks - I've used them before for things including but not limited to Steam libraries.

Can't be keeping yo steam games on your C drive.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Just now, alexyy said:

Can't be keeping yo steam games on your C drive.

Just putting them on another drive doesn't need this trickery, you can do that with libraries.  I was doing more complicated things

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just putting them on another drive doesn't need this trickery, you can do that with libraries.  I was doing more complicated things

I know just joking, 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

56 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why are these so slow in write?  

Low queue depth, which is most desktop usage, Optane is much faster than NVMe NAND SSDs. When you start increasing the queue you can spread the I/O across the NAND chips giving a higher throughput but if you're doing lots of small things Optane will be faster. Will you actually notice, probably not.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, I've had some weird issues with the move desktop option in the past so I've avoided it, if you're vouching for it I'll give it another shot and see if it behaves itself a little better.

And yeah, I know it features softlinks\symlinks, that's why I said better support and not just support. Again in the past I've had weird issues when using them so I've kind of avoided them since.

8 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah, I've had some weird issues with the move desktop option in the past so I've avoided it, if you're vouching for it I'll give it another shot and see if it behaves itself a little better.

And yeah, I know it features softlinks\symlinks, that's why I said better support and not just support. Again in the past I've had weird issues when using them so I've kind of avoided them since.

I can't guarantee it will work perfectly for everyone every time, but what I can say is I've done this move on almost all of my folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, and Videos) and I haven't had any issues as a result.  Where I would worry is trying to move something like "C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming" (or Local) since that has lots of config files, temp files, etc. which a) could interrupt the move or otherwise prevent it from completing successfully, which would be bad, or b) mess up programs that are hard coded to go to a certain path rather than check the environment variable.

On that topic though, one thing you'll have to watch out for is "remembered paths".  For example, if you've previously saved something to your desktop, and you then move this folder, make sure that the next time you open that program and go to save that your real desktop is selected, since it will likely have remembered the previous path, and will thus create a new "desktop" (not a real desktop, just a folder named that) on C again and then save to it.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Low queue depth, which is most desktop usage, Optane is much faster than NVMe NAND SSDs. When you start increasing the queue you can spread the I/O across the NAND chips giving a higher throughput but if you're doing lots of small things Optane will be faster. Will you actually notice, probably not.

ah, so it's just because this is a single (or very few) chip(s).  Yeah, I'm familiar with that behaviour in SSDs, I just thought maybe this was such a leap ahead that even despite having a lighter loadout it would out perform existing ones :P 

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

would the mklink trick work to allow steam to run and install games from my NAS?

my NAS is D:\ but in steam i cant see that drive letter to add a folder to install games to.

If i ever do this I will have a 10Gb connection to it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

"works fine" is actually disingenuous since the Intel Optane Memory m.2 module was built specifically as caching and not as a standalone SSD