Girlfriend's laptop not hitting expected FPS?

zPanic

Hi!

My girlfriend recently bought a new laptop I chose for her, which would be an Asus ROG laptop.

Specs: i7 6700HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 960M.

I bought her Terraria, she loves it so far. She's content with playing around 30-40 FPS, but I know her laptop can do better, and it should. It's brand new, and when checking benchmarks (on YouTube for example) people are playing BF1, The Division, SW:BF etc. at 40-60+ fps. So nobody could possibly tell me her laptop can't handle Terraria.

She's getting sub 60 FPS even on low settings (changing from low-high or vice versa doesn't impact performance as much). 

I know I shouldn't be expecting much from a laptop, but honestly, 19-45 fps? That's just a joke. My old laptop (i5 3230M Nvidia GT 710M) used to run Terraria on highest settings at 60fps steady.

She has all the requirements for the game. (.net etc)

I don't want her (and me) to feel scammed with a laptop that's supposed to have the performance but isn't delivering it for some reason.

What I tried:

- Tinkering with the ROG software (not much to tinker with, it only affects the system when it's not connected to a charger)

- Tinkering with Geforce Experience / Control panel

- Updated Nvidia drivers to latest.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spoiler
  • CPU - i7 6700K
  • Motherboard - Asus z170 Pro Gaming
  • RAM - 2x 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2133Mhz
  • GPU - Sapphire RX 580 Pulse
  • Case - Cooler Master StrikeX Advance Black Edition
  • Storage - 1x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
  • PSU - Energon 750W CM
  • Display(s) - 2x VS278H 27-inch
  • Cooling - Hyper Evo 212
  • Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma
  • Mouse - Logitech G502
  • Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 Pro
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit

3 minutes ago, zPanic said:

- Tinkering with the ROG software (not much to tinker with, it only affects the system when it's not connected to a charger)

change the power management settings, update all drivers. 

Check  CPU/GPU Usage and temperatures in the game. Maybe just reinstall it.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Format the drives and start from scratch. Dont install any of that ROG junk software. U dont need geforce experience software unless u need to use it for recording the gameplay. I dont have it on my PC, its just another useless software running in the background...

If u do this and fps is still low then monitor temps and use msi afterburner to monitor any thrtotling and gpu/cpu usage.

Ensure in bios that 960M is being used and not iGPU.

Turn off the xbox app in windows (its on by default and does limit the performance). If u dont know how watch a youtube video (u have to go to windows registry).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

change the power management settings, update all drivers. 

All drivers are up-to-date, power management settings are all set for high performance.

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Check  CPU/GPU Usage and temperatures in the game. Maybe just reinstall it.

CPU/GPU usage are normal. Doesn't really go above 70% if at all, temperatures are fine too. CPU sits around 50, GPU around 60.

Spoiler
  • CPU - i7 6700K
  • PSU - Energon 750W CM
  • Mouse - Logitech G502

Just now, zPanic said:

All drivers are up-to-date, power management settings are all set for high performance.

CPU/GPU usage are normal. Doesn't really go above 70% if at all, temperatures are fine too. CPU sits around 50, GPU around 60.

reinstall windows 

34 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If this problem only happens with Terraria and not anything else, it's a problem with Terraria.

However I would suggest a nice cleaning of bloatware should be in order, including the ROG software and GFX.

Removed the ROG software and other bloatware.

44 minutes ago, Thony said:

Format the drives and start from scratch. Dont install any of that ROG junk software. U dont need geforce experience software unless u need to use it for recording the gameplay. I dont have it on my PC, its just another useless software running in the background...

If u do this and fps is still low then monitor temps and use msi afterburner to monitor any thrtotling and gpu/cpu usage.

Ensure in bios that 960M is being used and not iGPU.

Turn off the xbox app in windows (its on by default and does limit the performance). If u dont know how watch a youtube video (u have to go to windows registry).

GPU temps go up to 80-85 at max during gameplay, and CPU sits at 70-80. Is this normal?

Spoiler
  • CPU - i7 6700K
  • PSU - Energon 750W CM
  • Mouse - Logitech G502

48 minutes ago, zPanic said:

Removed the ROG software and other bloatware.

GPU temps go up to 80-85 at max during gameplay, and CPU sits at 70-80. Is this normal?

70-80 is normal under load, not while idle.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

are you absolutely sure the game runs on the geforce and not on the igpu? have you tried other games and benchmarks for comparsion?

i had a problem with a friends laptop where one and only this one damn game refused to use the geforce.

the root of the problem was that the nvidia thingy that decides when to switch gpus could only see the damngame.exe wich was nothing more than a launcher that closed after the actual game launched.