i7 6700k or i5 6600k?

So I planned to do some upgrading from my FX8350 built to Intel to get some extra frames and stability

So I was wondering

For a content creator who makes videos but wont be rendering the new Star Wars, and who also eants to play games at high or very high settings at 1680x1050 60FPS still using my 1060 6GB should I get an i5 or an i7? Should I consider upgrading my GPU aswell?

Thanks

i7, your GPU is fine.  As you are building a new system I strongly recommend an r5 1600

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

First off, that is a odd resolution to play at. But if you just gaming and "Light" editing than a i5 would be fine for 60 fps without upgrading the GPU. But if your doing more content creation the i7 will perform better.

GPU would only be worth upgrading if you were going for higher than 60 fps at 1080p, or trying to get into 1440p/4k territory. 

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

First off, that is a odd resolution to play at. But if you just gaming and "Light" editing than a i5 would be fine for 60 fps without upgrading the GPU. But if your doing more content creation the i7 will perform better.

GPU would only be worth upgrading if you were going for higher than 60 fps at 1080p, or trying to get into 1440p/4k territory. 

I use an old DVI Apple cinema display my dad purchased back when we had money, its HD so I didnt bother getting a new one.  As for editing my videos can go from 20 minutes to an hour

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

i7, your GPU is fine.  As you are building a new system I strongly recommend an r5 1600

I got a lot of my parts before ryzen 5s launch unfortunately 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Why the 6600K/6700K in particular?

Do you livestream or live record your gameplay?

Do you have heavy workloads running concurrently while gaming?

Most I have running in the background is chrome or discord.  Also Z170 mobos are cheaper than Z270.  I do livestream, Id love to do more of it too

Just now, KancerousKanadian said:

I got a lot of my parts before ryzen 5s launch unfortunately 

You already have the mobo then?  I 100% advise an i7, even a locked i7, over an i5, even an unlocked one.  6700 (no k) at stock performs the same or better than an i5 6600K at 4.9Ghz and that will kick out loads of heat.  Get an i7

Honestly, if you are getting 40 - 60 in most games, hold off on upgrading. Wait for the next generations of CPUs to upgrade

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

3 minutes ago, KancerousKanadian said:

Most I have running in the background is chrome or discord.  Also Z170 mobos are cheaper than Z270.  I do livestream, Id love to do more of it too

Everything you have said so far points towards  i7/ryzen, do you have a Z170 mobo

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Everything you have said so far points towards  i7/ryzen, do you have a Z170 mobo

I do sir

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If you already have a Z170 mobo, get the 6700K

Alright will do