Benefits of owning a NAS server?

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Centralized storage that you control.

Google wants $300/month for 30TB of storage in Google Drive. You could make your own and it'd cost about $10/month on your electric bill. (Initial large investment)

On a gigabit network file transfers are much faster than uploading or downloading your files to/from a online storage provider.

You can setup the server for remote access so you can access your files anywhere just like a online storage provider.

Maintenance isn't difficult once you figure it out.

If you're up for it you could rent out portions of the NAS to friends and actually make a little money.

You have full administrative control of the system. Your word is law.

And some other less interesting reasons.

I just basically wanted to know the benefits owning a NAS server for a home user. Any help is appreciated.

either you have tons of movies/music you want to stream around the house and to different devices or you might want a central,automated backup solution for one or more machines. Those are just two use cases but I believe the most popular ones.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

When your computer breaks and doesn't take out all of your files.

Centralized storage for all your devices. Works great with my Floatplane videos!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Free sex

As in, you can showoff to a girl and use it to playback HD movies and then you two can get freaky

Instructions unclear, something got caught in case fan...

Also: Never heard of NAS and chill?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Centralized storage that you control.

Google wants $300/month for 30TB of storage in Google Drive. You could make your own and it'd cost about $10/month on your electric bill. (Initial large investment)

On a gigabit network file transfers are much faster than uploading or downloading your files to/from a online storage provider.

You can setup the server for remote access so you can access your files anywhere just like a online storage provider.

Maintenance isn't difficult once you figure it out.

If you're up for it you could rent out portions of the NAS to friends and actually make a little money.

You have full administrative control of the system. Your word is law.

And some other less interesting reasons.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

What kind of software would you need for something like this?

2 minutes ago, PrabbyG said:

There is a lot or remote access client software out there. For me I use a combination of WinSCP and PuTTY for Windows. They both support the SSH protocol and allow me to authenticate using 3 forms of ID before I can get in making it very secure.

As for the remote host you'd have to use a host that supports SSH and the use of Public/Private Key authentication and you'd have to open a port on your router.

You get an extra inch on your e-penis. 

Its a central backup for multiple computers but not a complete backup as you sill need to backup the nas in cold storage.

if your storage requires more space than your computer has sata ports then a nas can be a useful upgrade, you can also get better technology than what windows provides

23 minutes ago, PrabbyG said:

Next cloud is a popular private cloud software.

https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki/Connecting-the-Nextcloud-Box-to-the-Internet

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_