Can Users On The Network Access The Server While Doing Full Backup

I need to perform a full backup of our company server during the day when everyone is accessing it at the same time. There will be 8 users who will be using the resources and a database application "attace" used to run our day to day tasks used by all users.

The server has 550 GB of total used storage and i will be backing it up to a  usb external drive. 

So my question is, Can the backup be done while everyone is hitting the server throughout the day or will there be errors while backing up?

1 minute ago, ravneillal said:

I need to perform a full backup of our company server during the day when everyone is accessing it at the same time. There will be 8 users who will be using the resources and a database application "attace" used to run our day to day tasks used by all users.

The server has 550 GB of total used storage and i will be backing it up to a  usb external drive. 

So my question is, Can the backup be done while everyone is hitting the server throughout the day or will there be errors while backing up?

Well if you want to backup everything, you can't have users adding things to the server. You can only have them copying from the server onto another device.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os and backup software?

normally this will work just fine as the backup is low priorty

Server 2012 R2 using built in server backup.

17 minutes ago, OsuMasterz said:

Well if you want to backup everything, you can't have users adding things to the server. You can only have them copying from the server onto another device.

If users add new things then its ok. My main concern is that would the data get corrupted in while backup is in progress or some other error may pop up while doing the backups

4 hours ago, ravneillal said:

If users add new things then its ok. My main concern is that would the data get corrupted in while backup is in progress or some other error may pop up while doing the backups

No, you shouldn't have any corruption problems.

If this is a business, you should always have a secure off-sight backup of the server preferably connected on it's own secure network.

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.