Wanted advice from locals of Vancouver, BC

Just over a year ago my wife and I (both early 30's) decide we had had enough of our day jobs and we would like to see the world. She was a lawyer doing general practice and I was the engineering and design lead at a MSP/hosting/ISP in New Zealand. Since then we have been traveling though Central and South America, Europe and have started on North America. Due to the work exchange program we have managed to both get work visas for Canada.

We decided that we would like to try Vancouver, BC. At this point we have no idea what areas we would like to stay in, we have no jobs lined up and have never been to Canada before, which is all part of the fun.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations in the way of resources for finding accommodations, jobs and the other things we would need?

No hits? Any suggestions of local groups worth checking out then?

I don't know what real estate prices are in NZ, but the Vancouver area's cost of living is almost unbearably high, even by Canadian standards.

Rentals abound on vancouver.craigslist.org. Prepare to pay through the nose.

I don't know what the job market is like around here. I have a hunch that it will be easier to find work in design or software engineering than it would in law.

You'll also need to sign up for a social insurance number, health insurance, and staggeringly expensive car insurance if you're planning to drive.

A lot of construction around here seems to be done rather cheaply. I would not make a hasty decision on living arrangements should you decide to come here.

I'll leave others to give their opinions of whether the Vancouver area is "cool" or not.

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

On 5/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, NZLaurence said:

we have managed to both get work visas for Canada.

We decided that we would like to try Vancouver, BC. At this point we have no idea what areas we would like to stay in, we have no jobs lined up and have never been to Canada before, which is all part of the fun.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations in the way of resources for finding accommodations, jobs and the other things we would need?

I would suggest you buy a van or RV and sleep in that, do not pay rental rates, you are a couple and can hack living in a small 24' rv. Thats what I would do, you just have to figure out the parking arrangements.

Jobs - Well its kinda tight these days, good luck!

Hostels are alright, but are like $30 to $40/night. Rental units you would need damage deposit + 1st month rent + utilities. I bet you could find an open to air lot, for $200/m that is on the outskirts of the core which would be $400+/m I can only assume. You might try to find someone that is willing to let you park an rv in their backyard, backlot or something. Lemme try Kijiji for you and see. Check the bylaws because you may have to register the rv in Hope, BC or something.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-storage-parking/british-columbia/vancouver/k0c39l9007

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-storage-parking/greater-vancouver-area/c39l80003

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-storage-parking/vancouver/downtown-parking-spot-for-rent/1248783444?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.easypark.ca/find-parking/locations-and-lot-information

https://lots.impark.com/imp

So you see I was very close in the rates for commercial companies spitting out parking space rentals.

This spot right here, open air, waterfront - https://lots.impark.com/imp#details=1,1720 is $85/month in the shithole of Canada though, druggies everywhere.

You should look for open air lots near the train line when you are looking further out, there should be more open air lots to choose from.

One thing I realized is the BC has freshair thingy so this requires you to get the exhaust checked, I dunno if its Van itself or all of BC. Your best bet is if you have family in NZ, buy the rig in BC, and get your kiwi ins + reg + plate. You wont have to worry about nothing. Sell the rv when you are done with it, or scrap it at a junk yard.

You could also buy a cheap truck and a travel trailer, lots of trucks for $500 that are running. Then spend $5000 on the trailer.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/delta-surrey-langley/1977-dodge-huntsman-no-working-engine-interior-is-solid/1260997271?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Sorry the BC site for Kjiji is odd, it maybe my VPN.

Look for one of the outlying areas near the skytrain then

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Im interested in vancouver as well. Im going there for two months later this year for exchange, and id like to know some interesting things to do there. (Not including stalking linus.)

- snip-

16 hours ago, jmart604 said:

Rentals abound on vancouver.craigslist.org. Prepare to pay through the nose.

You'll also need to sign up for a social insurance number, health insurance, and staggeringly expensive car insurance if you're planning to drive.

15 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Look for one of the outlying areas near the skytrain then

I have been looking on craigslist and kijiji and am thinking that either in Surrey or Richmond areas have places for the $800-$1200 a month which seems good compared to Auckland. We are quite happy with a smaller place to start with. Both areas seem to be pretty close to public transport.

We are looking into the insurance stuff at the moment. We also have to deal with the tax numbers as so on.

For jobs, my experience is in networks and servers. Even though i can script and do basic coding (as required for a systems engineer), Software design would be well outside of my comfort zone. I would be looking more of internal IT/MSP/ISP stuff. Most jobs I have looked at would require me to be there to interview so its more likely that will be something to tackle in July.

Yeah its better to have your kiwi's here working and taking Canadian jobs away from born & bred multi-generational Canadians then other countries. I like what Ann Coulter says, I've been listening to her alot.

$800-$1200 is not bad, depending on what you are getting. If its an apartment with room(s) then that is average for big city. THough Surrey and Richmond are further from the downtown core, meaning more of a commute if you have to go there. Burnaby and Richmond are the first cities out, Surrey is the 3rd city out.

What to do in Vancouver - Granville Island, False Creek mini boat ride, NHL, CFL, WHL, Capriano Bridge, Grouse Grind, Ski at Whistler/Blackcomber or you can mountain bike, Science World, Stanley Park (I rode around it a few times, but I was drunk as fuck),

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154943-Activities-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

OK the marketing department for Van

https://www.tourismvancouver.com/activities/

Aquarium, Whale Watching, VIA Rail, Museum, Waterpark, Beaches, Fishing, Kayaking

Its still better to just buy a 26' RV for $1000, then ins is $100/m but I dunno what the provincial insurance company rates are like, I think they are lower then here. Then you are saving $1000/m which is $12,000/yr, which can go a long long ways man it really can. In Canada you just need 5% down for a house, so a $250k condo is only $12,500 down. All you need is a place to crash, shit, piss, shower, eat. So I would completely gut the RV, throw in a King Size matress at the very back, make some shelves and storage under the mattress. So that takes up 7' length, wall it off with a door. Next is the bathroom, with toilet and a shower head. That needs to be 3'x3' or 3.5' x 3.5' then you sink is on the other side, kitchenette area. Stove, Fridge/Freezer probably would take up 10', door is 2.5', otherside is the bench seats and table. So thats a 20' length already. So maybe best to aim for a cheap 30' travel trailer or motorhome. This allows you to make your bathroom larger and can have a sink in there too rather then an all in one toilet/shower. Its a european thing, lemme see if I can find a picture for you.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.i9pveAeRMclrOKyDjpQYFQDKEs%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

See no sacrifices, and this picture has a mini sink which is doable, right where the hose comes up. But its not neccessary, I think they do it because the water outlet is right there.

Lemme do up a MS Paint so you can envision it.

Forgot to add in the couch length is 7' so you got another 8' to put in a more formal eating area, or perhaps a computer desk. All in you could easily find a 30 footer for $1000 to $2000, and if I were you, I'd go with a travel trailer because they are easy to move around. See with a motorhome you gotta worry about the motorhomes engine, whereas a travel trailer, all you'd need to do is rent a uhaul truck for $20 if your regular $500 truck broke down.

And yes its better to make it look more like a commercial work trailer then a travel trailer, which is easy to do, throw on some broken ladders ontot he sides, maybe do up a nice fake sign and if its a reserved monthly parking stall you wouldnt have to move it at all. Now for power - Princess Auto generator and buy a silent one if you are worried.

Untitled.png

12 hours ago, yathis said:

Yeah its better to have your kiwi's here working and taking Canadian jobs away from born & bred multi-generational Canadians then other countries.

We actually get our work visas as part of an exchange program with New Zealand. There is something like 2000 a year that are granted visas to work in Canada and the same amount that go to work in New Zealand. The person whose job I will be 'taking' is currently over in New Zealand 'taking' my job.

Your ideas for a RV like home are interesting, it would also have the advantage of being able to be moved if needed. I will talk it over with the wife and see what she thinks.

At the moment we are going to grab an AirBnB for the first month so that we can get into the city and get a feel for it (and hopefully get jobs) before finalizing a place.

On the bright side it looks like we will be there just before the LTX meetup.

Yeah I slept in a van for awhile, even in the cold out west -10C or more it wasnt too bad until you hit -20C or lower. But in BC its a joke because there are winter warnings for the homeless bums at 0C but its a moist cold. Its summer now so you dont gotta worry about 0C until winter. All you need is a camper heater, think they are called porcelin and keeps you toasty warm at -10C or more. I used to just keep the stove on with a window cracked open.

Airbnb is good, also Kijiji has room rentals and also week to week or month to month rentals.

I have mixed feelings about the LTX meetup as there will be no booze sales so no ice cold beer. Just gotta sneak in some vodka and buy some cola when I am there. I do that at Subway and McDonalds, so it looks like you arent drinking booze.

Are you guys home bodies or out on the towners?

12 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

We actually get our work visas as part of an exchange program with New Zealand. There is something like 2000 a year that are granted visas to work in Canada and the same amount that go to work in New Zealand. The person whose job I will be 'taking' is currently over in New Zealand 'taking' my job.

This will probably get this thread derailed but Iwant to ask, if I get admitted to med school, passed board certifications and get residency, is there a chance for an immigrant doctor to gain employment as a doctor in NZ? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

This will probably get this thread derailed but Iwant to ask, if I get admitted to med school, passed board certifications and get residency, is there a chance for an immigrant doctor to gain employment as a doctor in NZ? 

What country are you from and how old are you? The answer is most likely yes though.

10 hours ago, yathis said:

Are you guys home bodies or out on the towners?

As we have been travelling for over a year now we have become a strange mixture of both. We like going out but have been trying to save money where we can.

OK so you are used to hostels, the travel trailer thing is the way to go. $5000+ in savings for the year.