What Camera???

Go to solution Solved by cc143,
35 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

So I'm finally getting myself a DSLR, and have a budget of less than $1000. I'm not exactly a beginner, as I've worked with many DSLR's before, and love to take pictures with them whenever I can, especially portraits. I also know how to work Lightroom and Photoshop. I was thinking of the t6s or t7i (I really really like the Dual Pixel Focus on the t7i) and whatnot, but I realized I also need to consider lenses (Mainly for portraits and possible landscapes?) and accessories... I also want to shoot video at 1080p at 60fps if that's possible to fit in my budget... What recommendations do you guys have? Also I'm buying off Amazon, so links from that works best. Thanks!

I assume you mean $1000 US and are therefore in the US. 

I'm not one to slander Canon cameras, mostly, but there are indeed other choices in your budget you have to consider. 

The nikon d5600 for one would be a good alternative, just putting that out there. 

You may also consider some mirrorless/ cscs, like the fuji x-t20 ( with the 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 which is an amazing lens, probably the best kit lens out there.) , which is more capable in video, even though the AF system will likely not be a match for the Canon. (These cost £899 in the UK, so I'm not sure they'd be affordable in the US.)  

As far as glass is concerned (For the Canon), the 18-55 is good enough as a first lens, and since you are into portraiture, the 50mm f/1.8 is about $100 and amazing for the price. It will allow you to blow out backgrounds etc. easier than with the 18-55mm. 

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783801&sr=1-3&keywords=ef%2B50mm%2Bf%2B1.8%2Bstm&th=1

That said, I would opt to go with something like the 17-50mm f/2.8 from sigma or tamron (mainly because the Canon costs an arm and a leg.) Optics will be good enough and you will benefit from a faster, constant aperture. I would look for one for those used, since they can be found pretty cheap in the used market.

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Canon-Camera-Memory/dp/B01E6YX3WM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783976&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=sigma+17-50mm+f+2.8+canon&psc=1

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS may also be a good replacement, since it gives you more of a focal length and has image stabilisation as well. I'd also look for that in the used market rather than new. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm-F2-8-4-Contemporary-Macro/dp/B00AXZYY86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783548&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+17-70mm+f+2.8-4+dc+macro+os+hsm+lens+for+canon

Take my advise, if you need to go a bit overbudget to include one of the lenses above (17-70 or 17-50), then do so. Also don't be afraid to buy glass used. Look through ebay and you will find some amazing deals, especially on glass like the sigmas above. They are a pretty nice upgrade over the 18-55mm kit lens, without breaking the bank. 

So I'm finally getting myself a DSLR, and have a budget of less than $1000. I'm not exactly a beginner, as I've worked with many DSLR's before, and love to take pictures with them whenever I can, especially portraits. I also know how to work Lightroom and Photoshop. I was thinking of the t6s or t7i (I really really like the Dual Pixel Focus on the t7i) and whatnot, but I realized I also need to consider lenses (Mainly for portraits and possible landscapes?) and accessories... I also want to shoot video at 1080p at 60fps if that's possible to fit in my budget... What recommendations do you guys have? Also I'm buying off Amazon, so links from that works best. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

just know that the dual pixel AF only works in live view

the t7i does 1080p 60fps

t7i body only is a great camera to begin with

Ive been shooting on a t2i for 6+ years now with just the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 (i would rent other cameras and lenses for paid gigs)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/omair-k

https://unsplash.com/@omairk

Photography / Finance / Gaming

3 minutes ago, mok said:

just know that the dual pixel AF only works in live view

the t7i does 1080p 60fps

t7i body only is a great camera to begin with

Ive been shooting on a t2i for 6+ years now with just the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 (i would rent other cameras and lenses for paid gigs)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/omair-k

https://unsplash.com/@omairk

I mostly or always shoot in live view anyways. What lenses should I pair with it? Links from amazon would be preferred. 

35 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

I assume you mean $1000 US and are therefore in the US. 

I'm not one to slander Canon cameras, mostly, but there are indeed other choices in your budget you have to consider. 

The nikon d5600 for one would be a good alternative, just putting that out there. 

You may also consider some mirrorless/ cscs, like the fuji x-t20 ( with the 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 which is an amazing lens, probably the best kit lens out there.) , which is more capable in video, even though the AF system will likely not be a match for the Canon. (These cost £899 in the UK, so I'm not sure they'd be affordable in the US.)  

As far as glass is concerned (For the Canon), the 18-55 is good enough as a first lens, and since you are into portraiture, the 50mm f/1.8 is about $100 and amazing for the price. It will allow you to blow out backgrounds etc. easier than with the 18-55mm. 

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783801&sr=1-3&keywords=ef%2B50mm%2Bf%2B1.8%2Bstm&th=1

That said, I would opt to go with something like the 17-50mm f/2.8 from sigma or tamron (mainly because the Canon costs an arm and a leg.) Optics will be good enough and you will benefit from a faster, constant aperture. I would look for one for those used, since they can be found pretty cheap in the used market.

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-Canon-Camera-Memory/dp/B01E6YX3WM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783976&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=sigma+17-50mm+f+2.8+canon&psc=1

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS may also be a good replacement, since it gives you more of a focal length and has image stabilisation as well. I'd also look for that in the used market rather than new. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm-F2-8-4-Contemporary-Macro/dp/B00AXZYY86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494783548&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+17-70mm+f+2.8-4+dc+macro+os+hsm+lens+for+canon

Take my advise, if you need to go a bit overbudget to include one of the lenses above (17-70 or 17-50), then do so. Also don't be afraid to buy glass used. Look through ebay and you will find some amazing deals, especially on glass like the sigmas above. They are a pretty nice upgrade over the 18-55mm kit lens, without breaking the bank. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

4 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Thank you so much for taking time and giving your input, I appreciate it a lot. I just like Canon better because I'm more use to its interface, but how would the t7i compare to the D5600? Also, I notice a lot of Amazon bundles include a 75-300mm zoom lens which I presume isn't very useful... Lastly, if I get the 17-70mm or 17-50 zoom lens, is it worth getting the 50mm f1.8 prime lens aswell?

13 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

Thank you so much for taking time and giving your input, I appreciate it a lot. I just like Canon better because I'm more use to its interface, but how would the t7i compare to the D5600? Also, I notice a lot of Amazon bundles include a 75-300mm zoom lens which I presume isn't very useful... Lastly, if I get the 17-70mm or 17-50 zoom lens, is it worth getting the 50mm f1.8 prime lens aswell?

The d5600 is pretty similar to the t7i, the t78i might have a better touchscreen implementation and in video AF, video settings in general tbh. The d5600 seems to have a better AF system when it comes to stills. You can also get some lenses at a marginally cheaper price, and they also have a cheap 35mm f/1.8 that is available at a low price, unlike in the Canon system where you are looking at ~$450 to get a half decent 35mm. The two are however pretty interchangeable, I would personally go for the Canon, but feel you should have the option presented at least. 

The 75-300mm lenses included in these kits are not that useful indeed. From what I understand, its what most new dslr buyers want, which allows companies to sell them in kits and get some more profit. There are legitimate uses, but they are too specific. Also, for anyone of those uses, you should probably spend more on higher quality glass with constant faster apertures. 

The 17-70/17-50 i recommended is not meant to replace a fast prime, or cover its usecase. A 50mm 1.8 is a great lens to have for a portrait shooter on a crop sensor. I recommend those lenses over the 18-55 because:

• They tend to have a better image quality.
  • They are built better in some cases (the 17-70 for instance.) 
  • They are a stop faster than the kit lens, letting in more light and allowing for a shallower depth of field. 
  • The constant aperture of the 17-50mm is a very noticeable difference. The 17-70's 1 stop variance in the tail end is also worth it given the reasonable extra reach. 

Now, although it is not impossible to isolate a subject by using a shallow Depth of field with a kit lens and crop sensor camera, it is actually pretty easy, you have to consider that, while the same amount of light goes in, in depth of field terms, you have to consider the sensor's crop factor as well, so for DOF, the 18-55 on the wide end is effectively an f/5.6. Therefore, the 17-50/17-70 wide open, at 4.2 is almost a stop faster. Also, When shooting manual, it can be annoying to have a variable amount of light coming in, while zooming, since you may find yourself exposing for f/3.5 but having to adjust exposure for the 5.6 you get once you use your zoom ring. 

The 50 1.8 is worth the $100 you pay for it, especially for portrait photographers. Don't get used to spending that little on glass either...

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

30 minutes ago, cc143 said:

The d5600 is pretty similar to the t7i, the t78i might have a better touchscreen implementation and in video AF, video settings in general tbh. The d5600 seems to have a better AF system when it comes to stills. You can also get some lenses at a marginally cheaper price, and they also have a cheap 35mm f/1.8 that is available at a low price, unlike in the Canon system where you are looking at ~$450 to get a half decent 35mm. The two are however pretty interchangeable, I would personally go for the Canon, but feel you should have the option presented at least. 

Thanks again for giving me all that information, I really appreciate it. Can't I just use an adapter that allow Nikon lenses to fit on a canon camera? Sorry if that was a really dumb question... 

6 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

Thanks again for giving me all that information, I really appreciate it. Can't I just use an adapter that allow Nikon lenses to fit on a canon camera? Sorry if that was a really dumb question... 

You can, there are adapters.  I don't recommend it and I've done it before.  The flange distance difference between Nikon F and Canon EF is just 2-2.5mm or so.  And none of the adapters will provide any electronic functionality of the lens.  You will be shooting full manual.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

The price difference is negligible anyway, we are talking a 5-10% increase in price in some third party lenses, and that even varies between retailers. When talking about used glass, I haven't looked for used nikon glass, but I wouldn't imagine prices vary that much.

There are certain lenses that are missing from each lineup, e.g. Nikon has a 14-24mm f/2.8, while Canon has an 11-24mm f4 and a 16-35mm f2.8, or the example I gave above. But I wouldn't be too concerned about that. 

Apart from no automation, you will have to add a piece of glass in front of the sensor to compensate for the added flange distance, which will probably reduce IQ depending on the adapter's quality, which let's face it, is going to be poor. 

28 minutes ago, Willie Xia said:

The price difference is negligible anyway, we are talking a 5-10% increase in price in some third party lenses, and that even varies between retailers. When talking about used glass, I haven't looked for used nikon glass, but I wouldn't imagine prices vary that much.

There are certain lenses that are missing from each lineup, e.g. Nikon has a 14-24mm f/2.8, while Canon has an 11-24mm f4 and a 16-35mm f2.8, or the example I gave above. But I wouldn't be too concerned about that. 

Apart from no automation, you will have to add a piece of glass in front of the sensor to compensate for the added flange distance, which will probably reduce IQ depending on the adapter's quality, which let's face it, is going to be poor. 

48 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Ah, last question. What other lenses should I consider for portrait photography other than the 50mm 1.8 (I saw a video about how the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is good too, but it's a bit pricy...)? What about if I were to go roof-topping and take city pictures?

Canon make an 85mm 1.8 themselves that is pretty decent, fairly priced, (I know in the UK its £340 before MIR and ~£230 used). It's not the best out there, but it's a nice portrait lens on the cheap that unlike anything else with those specifications doesn't weigh a ton and isn't huge. 

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-85mm-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00007GQLU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494794092&sr=8-3&keywords=ef+85mm+f+1.8+usm

The 17-50/17-70/18-55 should be ok (not so much for interior spaces though) for city and landscape images. You may find yourself needing something wider, there are some options you can look at.  

There's the cheap and not so cheerful Canon EF-S 10-22mm

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 https://www.amazon.com/Tokina-11-16mm-AT-X116-Digital-Cameras/dp/B007ORXEIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494793792&sr=8-2&keywords=tokina+11-16mm+f+2.8 which is not so cheap

And the pretty excellent Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4/5 https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-3-5-4-5-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494793843&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+ef-s+10-22mm+f+3.5-4.5+usm+lens which costs a pretty penny, but is quite nice I've heard. 

Now, you must keep in mind that none of the lenses above, nor the 17-70/17-50 or 18-55 would be compatible with a Full Frame body, which means you'd have to pretty much sell everything if you ever upgrade to a FF body like a 5d or 6d. 

Unfortunately, with the exception of the wider L glass, which is pretty expensive (i.e. ~$1500 for the 16-35mm f/2.8L II) there are no FF compatible lenses which offer a particularly useful focal length on APS-C to consider buying. Primes however are usually compatible with both. 

4 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Now, you must keep in mind that none of the lenses above, nor the 17-70/17-50 or 18-55 would be compatible with a Full Frame body, which means you'd have to pretty much sell everything if you ever upgrade to a FF body like a 5d or 6d. 

Unfortunately, with the exception of the wider L glass, which is pretty expensive (i.e. ~$1500 for the 16-35mm f/2.8L II) there are no FF compatible lenses which offer a particularly useful focal length on APS-C to consider buying. Primes however are usually compatible with both. 

Alright, thanks a bunch dude. I'll keep all these lenses in mind. Thank you for your time and in depth input. I really appreciate it. 

Not to further complicate things, but you could also look into a refurbished D7200 body only from B&H photo, and then pick up a used lens that is to your liking off ebay or somewhere like KEH.com. This would put you right around the same price point (1000 USD) but would get you a camera that is better in many ways than the D5600 or T7i. It is larger and heavier though, so that is something you should see if you're ok with. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC