Best Buy & Online televisions - buying a 60"

I went to Best Buy today to check out the televisions. 

I saw some with a very crystal clear image that were also very color rich. The televisions were very expensive with one that I really enjoyed was a 65" inch at the 3k range. 

The televisions were 4k with HDR. I'm trying to find something with a crystal clear image and very rich in color that is 60" in size. 

Anyone have any recommendations around the 1k price point?

I'm also wondering why some may look very crystal clear when they are both 4k, HDR, and/or etc. What gives the crystal clear image exactly? What should I be looking for when online shopping so I know what to buy.  

rtings.com usually does a pretty thorough overview of many TVs. Be weary of Best Buy (or any brick and mortar store) though as they will often manipulate settings to push a specific model.

I personally love my Sony x850c. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

rtings.com usually does a pretty thorough overview of many TVs. Be weary of Best Buy (or any brick and mortar store) though as they will often manipulate settings to push a specific model.

Thanks, I'll be looking at this for a bit. I'm going to check the online stores and see how different TVs compare. 

i would reference the model numbers of the TVs you're looking at, then do some research. because in-store demos don't actually represent the picture you would get when you bring the set home. 

3 minutes ago, e23 said:

Anyone have any recommendations around the 1k price point?

I'm also wondering why some may look very crystal clear when they are both 4k, HDR, and/or etc. What gives the crystal clear image exactly? What should I be looking for when online shopping so I know what to buy

what are your uses for the TV set? 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i would reference the model numbers of the TVs you're looking at, then do some research. because in-store demos don't actually represent the picture you would get when you bring the set home. 

what are your uses for the TV set? 

General TV usage as well as movies. 

As the other guy said. They have some specific setting on them for the video they are showing is what I get. That makes sense now. Was wondering what caused that and that's good to know now. 

1 minute ago, e23 said:

General TV usage as well as movies. 

As the other guy said. They have some specific setting on them for the video they are showing is what I get. That makes sense now. Was wondering what caused that and that's good to know now. 

the KS8000 is a decent choice. from general reviews, it's a very versatile TV. it'll do well in a lot of use cases. only bit that is concerning is that there's some cases of the TV lifting from the frame at the corners. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000?uxtv=a3d8

a pdf guide from avsforums https://us.community.samsung.com/ynzzy74688/attachments/ynzzy74688/tv/8930/1/AVS Forum Official Samsung KS8000 KS8500 Owners' Information 02-05-17.pdf

could be some sort of dynamic setting the representatives set via settings to give the TV a bit more 'pop'. i wouldn't worry about it too much, because you're going to tune the TV when you get it anyways. 

When it comes to TV's/Monitors, there are a few things you need know. Some are indeed important specs, others are pretty much based on personal opinion/preference.

Important Spec's

• Resolution (720p, 1080p, 2K, 4K, 8K, etc). Generally you will spend more on decent TV's that are capable of higher resolutions. Before buying a high resolution TV, ask yourself this. Do you currently own or have the funds to buy media equipment within the first month of buying your TV, that will fully utilize your TV's highest resolution capabilities? Because honestly, there are few things on the market (Streaming devices (which require good bandwidth for streaming 4K), Blue-ray players, Movies, Videos, etc) that are capable of playing video at full 4K or higher. You're looking at roughly $200+ per device that can do true 4K or higher playback. Keep in mind, 4K+ upscaling and true 4K+ are not the same what so ever. Also, majority of TV stations are only HD (1080p). Unless you pay extra on your cable bill for 4K. But even at that, most stations just upscale their content to 4K. 
  • Refresh Rates, this can make or brake not only resolution but viewing experience as well. Refresh rates come in 60Hz, 120Hz, & 240Hz. pairing the wrong Refresh Rate with your resolution will cause issues like tearing and blurring. For example let say that you bought a 4K TV running at 60Hz. Its good for watching basic movies no problem. But if you decided to watch a movie with a lot of action (fast moving scenes), sports or video games. You'll indeed encounter seeing motion blur and/or tearing on the screen. That is because the TV cannot keep up with refreshing the screen. I say at any resolution, 120Hz Refresh Rate is a good sweet spot.
  • HDR is another must, if I do say so myself. It does make a difference by providing better images. Bringing out colors more and cleaner looking blacks. Almost a true representation of the object in real life. Like looking through a f**king window!

Personal Preference

• Trust Your Eyes! The other features on TV's that gives you some kind of ratio or scoring ratings is total BS. That is all advertising gimmicks. Use your eyes because your eyes don't lie. If some TV's look better and clearer than others, that's because it is. Means there is better tech used in that TV to display a better image.
  • Smart TV's. Personally I don't vouch for any TV with built-in smart features (Internet, Streaming, etc). Here is why. TV's come with only one CPU/Processor. Majority of that processing power is being used to display images (Handling resolution, refresh rates and so forth). Throwing in smart features will only further stress the processor. Because now it has to do two different work loads, each are equally demanding. You ever notice that when you are at Best Buy, they only play pre-recorded demos and never show the smart features? That's because they don't want you to see how much the TV lags and unresponsive it gets when using the smart features. If you want to stream content on your TV, buy a dedicated media streamer (Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, Chromecast, etc)

Now the whole Best Buy thing. Being a former Repair Tech for Geek Squad - Best Buy, I could say some not so color things about the company. Long story. Any who here's the deal. Yes, the TV's on display are set to look extremely well in the sore. However, don't believe other people when they say, "It's a gimmick, the TV's only look good at the store for you to buy them.....this that blah blah blah". When you do get your TV home, get it properly/professionally calibrated for the room/setting that the TV will be in. I guarantee you that if you do, the TV is going to look as good as it did on display. It should go without saying that you would have to pay calibration.

Lastly, the most important thing ever. Something that pissed me off about customers when working there. Coverage plans and warranty's. READ THEM! The standard 1yr manufacture warranty only covers defects caused by the manufacture. It is at the manufactures sole discretion to cover any issues. Whether you contacted them directly or went to best buy to create the claim. Mind you, after 15 days you cannot return the TV at best buy. If any issues come up after 15 days, you have to create a claim to get your TV service. That can take weeks for repairs. No, you will not get a replacement or are promised a replacement under any coverage/warranty! Unless you fall within very strict conditions. Now best buy does offer Geek Squad protection plan on TV's. But they do not cover any issues or damage caused by the user, animals or nature. But are worth it. For example, you bought a TV with additional 5yr coverage. Come 4-5yrs later your TV has issues from age. Chances are that there are no replacement parts available for a 5yr old TV and thus cannot be repaired. So under these conditions, your plan allows you to get a brand new replacement. Depending on the situation, you may owe a difference or get refunded the difference. But you would still have to buy a new coverage plan for the new TV.

All in all, in the end. Get a reputable brand (sony, samsung, LG) 4K TV with a 120Hz refresh rate and HDR that looks good to you.