Thermal Throttling Laptop :(

I bought a Lenovo Z710 laptop a couple of years ago with a i7-4700MQ [2.4GHz/3.4GHz turbo] (nice!) and a GT-745 [1045Mhz max clock] (not so nice but ok). Anyways, what I noticed was when I started to alt-tab, the game performed significantly better for a while. After installing open hardware monitor i could see that my gpu was underclocking from 1045MHz to 405MHz (idle speed.......); as well as my cpu (down to 2.6GHz). I opened it up, and I realized that 1 copper line was responsible for cooling both the cpu and gpu together (*facepalm). Anyways I cleaned some dust out from fan and heat sink, then tried playing games again. But no change cpu and gpu both were still throttling. Do you guys think that buying some kind of a fan like (laptop cooling pads or even heat sink fans) to put under the copper line would be a good idea and make any difference or is it just hopeless to even try? Or should I tune the CPU? Or even both? Thanks in advance :D 

Laptop Cooling.png

3 minutes ago, Big3moke said:

I bought a Lenovo Z710 laptop a couple of years ago with a i7-4700MQ [2.4GHz/3.4GHz turbo] (nice!) and a GT-745 [1045Mhz max clock] (not so nice but ok). Anyways, what I noticed was when I started to alt-tab, the game performed significantly better for a while. After installing open hardware monitor i could see that my gpu was underclocking from 1045MHz to 405MHz (idle speed.......); as well as my cpu (down to 2.6GHz). I opened it up, and I realized that 1 copper line was responsible for cooling both the cpu and gpu together (*facepalm). Anyways I cleaned some dust out from fan and heat sink, then tried playing games again. But no change cpu and gpu both were still throttling. Do you guys think that buying some kind of a fan like (laptop cooling pads or even heat sink fans) to put under the copper line would be a good idea and make any difference or is it just hopeless to even try? Or should I tune the CPU? Or even both? Thanks in advance :D 

Laptop Cooling.png

May I question as to of what temperatures you receive of under load situations? Since such is a laptop, it may simply be under clocking upon idle to better reserve power charge. Have a look into some power management settings & so forth, as I believe such is the 'issue'.

Kind regards,

-EnergyEclipse

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

6 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

May I question as to of what temperatures you receive of under load situations? Since such is a laptop, it may simply be under clocking upon idle to better reserve power charge. Have a look into some power management settings & so forth, as I believe such is the 'issue'.

Kind regards,

-EnergyEclipse

Under Load, CPU is at 85C and GPU no more than 75C (CPU starts throttling down to 2.5GHZ and GPU to 500-700Mhz ), CPU idles at 45C. I hope I gave you the right info. I am sure it is not power management I always set it at max performance as well :/

1 minute ago, Big3moke said:

Under Load, CPU is at 85C and GPU no more than 75C (CPU starts throttling down to 2.5GHZ and GPU to 500-700Mhz ), CPU idles at 45C. I hope I gave you the right info.

you can try undervolted, replacing the thermal paste and keeping your laptop dust free. these laptops usually have very poor cooling. 

7 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Kind regards,

-EnergyEclipse

you don't have to do that 

Just now, Big3moke said:

Under Load, CPU is at 85C and GPU no more than 75C (CPU starts throttling down to 2.5ish and GPU to 500-700Mhz ), CPU idles at 45C. I hope I gave you the right info.

Hmmmm, according to Nvidia, a GT 745's maximum allowed GPU temperature (in C) is 95o, so that shouldn't concern of you. Not that I would recommend letting it run at 95o constantly. So 75C is fine. I am not to sure as to of why it throttles though.

CPU temperature is concerning though. I understand as to why that throttles.

Try setting of a fan curve for both GPU & CPU using something like MSI. If that does not help please report back.

-EnergyEclipse

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can try undervolted, replacing the thermal paste and keeping your laptop dust free. these laptops usually have very poor cooling. 

I like to for formality xD 

Also under volting is slightly drastic in my opinion, since dust removal is maybe a better approach as for now.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

Undervolting is not stable at -0.050V offset so I don't think it is going to make a huge difference, dust is cleaned; but I have not tried replacing the paste (Sketchy for me, and plus it is kind of expensive with no guaranteed results).

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

I like to for formality xD 

it gets annoying also this is more of a forum whare you help people for fun, nothing really serious.  

it gets annoying also this is more of a forum whare you help people for fun, nothing really serious.  

Well it is fun for me xDDD Sorry to have annoyed you.

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hmmmm, according to Nvidia, a GT 745's maximum allowed GPU temperature (in C) is 95o, so that shouldn't concern of you. Not that I would recommend letting it run at 95o constantly. So 75C is fine. I am not to sure as to of why it throttles though.

CPU temperature is concerning though. I understand as to why that throttles.

Try setting of a fan curve for both GPU & CPU using something like MSI. If that does not help please report back.

-EnergyEclipse

The thing is you can not change fan settings at all!! locked by lenovo (thank you). and fan starts to work at like 50C only

Undervolting is not stable at -0.050V offset

yes that sucks

I don't think it is going to make a huge difference

it will depend, few degree sometimes can make or break things. 

I have not tried replacing the paste (Sketchy for me, and plus it is kind of expensive with no guaranteed results).

you will be surprised how far replacing thermal paste goes sometimes. if you are not comfortable don't worry about it.

not much you can do other that changing the fan settings. 

Two options that I see as the solution currently:
1)Changing Thermal Paste, you never know because laptop is 3 years old.

2)Custom Fans

3)Light CPU tweaking; under clocking to 2.4Ghz sets max temps at 65C for CPU which would hopefully let GPU work at max MHz

Just now, Big3moke said:

The thing is you can not change fan settings at all!! locked by lenovo (thank you). and fan starts to work at like 50C only

This doesn't sound great. I'm lost mostly now. TIM removal on a laptop is a tad sketchy yes I agree. Unless someone else has help, your last resorts could be contacting of Lenovo for some support on user repairs, or purchasing a high performance grade cooler stand even if slightly noisy.

Sorry D:

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

This doesn't sound great. I'm lost mostly now. TIM removal on a laptop is a tad sketchy yes I agree. Unless someone else has help, your last resorts could be contacting of Lenovo for some support on user repairs, or purchasing a high performance grade cooler stand even if slightly noisy.

Sorry D:

What cooler would you suggest?

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Sorry D:

I would also contact them but I doubt they would be useful (you never know)

Just now, Big3moke said:

you can't replace cooler in a laptop. most you can do is get an external cooling pad. 

Just now, Big3moke said:

Two options that I see as the solution currently:
1)Changing Thermal Paste, you never know because laptop is 3 years old.

2)Custom Fans

3)Light CPU tweaking; under clocking to 2.4Ghz sets max temps at 65C for CPU which would hopefully let GPU work at max MHz

Try updating your drivers fully, as a reference to this article: http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2336871/lenovo-laptop-gpu-problem.html although that is a slightly different issue. 

you can't replace cooler in a laptop. most you can do is get an external cooling pad. 

We meant cooler stand xD

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Yes I want to use an external pad and put it under the copper line and maybe it can get cooler...

9 minutes ago, Big3moke said:

I haven't personally used of one before, although this appears a good option: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4AVQ0Z?psc=1 with a reputable brand & good ratings.

You could get something like this also for extra peace of mind I guess: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X6HFKJ2/ref=s9_acsd_newrz_hd_bw_b2Rr10l_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=7PV7RFYXPYQBZ4JK4TYK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=bfe1ca85-5e87-5e4e-8d92-b1969b5b9994&pf_rd_i=2243862011

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/contact-us/

@D2ultima im not that familiar with Haswell PGA chips. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

@D2ultima im not that familiar with Haswell PGA chips. 

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread there xD

buy some cheap copper shims and thermal adhesive and stick them to the heatsink, slowing heat buildup

drill rows of holes in the bottom cover near the fan , let it breathe more

rise the laptop up

replace the thermal paste with mx-4/arctic silver 5 or liquid metal if you're feeling ballsy - it makes a huge difference as stock paste is shit usually

idk

If the contact point is copper, you could probably chance some liquid metal.

Undervolt your processor too, get it to produce less heat.

Find a way to force max fans under load.

A modded notepal U3 probably might do the best job of improving cooling, but I don't know anything else that'll make a lot of sense for actually improving the cooling. Adding spiked copper shims helps slow heat buildup, but it will eventually hit the maximum temp as usual, and it'll be a LOT slower to cool down.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday