Ryzen has another instruction implementation problem, VME is broken

zMeul

source: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/vme-broken-on-amd-ryzen/

what is VME?

also known as Virtual-8086 Mode Enhancements, it allows execution of real mode apps that cannot (were not designed) run in protected mode OS

it's also used in hardware virtualization to emulate multiple x86 CPUs

the Ryzen implementation

Ryzen has buggy VME implementation; specifically, the INT instruction is known to misbehave in V86 mode with VME enabled when the given vector is redirected (i.e. it should use standard real-mode IVT and execute in V86 mode without faulting). The INT instruction simply doesn’t go where it’s supposed to go which leads to more or less immediate crashes or hangs

what does it mean for the end-user?

if the end user tries to run XP / WS2003 and earlier OSes, the system will either crash or hang - this affects both direct installs or through a VM

not many end users need to run older OSes, but this particular issue can be problematic in a enterprise environments where they might need to run old OSes to keep their old equipment functional - if it ain't broke, don't fix it

so far, reports have indicated Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows NT, FreeDOS to have issues while trying to run on Ryzen CPUs

Windows XP and Server 2003 (that is NT 5.1 and 5.2) is significantly more affected because it was the first Windows OS that shipped with a generic display driver using VBE (VESA BIOS Extensions), and the only Windows family which executed the BIOS code inside NTVDM (with VME on, if available). Starting with Vista, presumably due to increased focus on 64-bit OSes where V86 mode is entirely unavailable, the video BIOS is executed indirectly, likely using pure software emulation.

The upshot is that the problem is visible in Windows versions at least from NT 4.0 and up, but XP and Server 2003 may entirely fail to boot, either hanging or crashing just before bringing up the desktop.

the workaround, at least if you run a VM environment - mask out the VME CPUID bit (bit 1 in register EDX of leaf 1)

Does this really matter though? Microsoft doesn't support older OSes on Ryzen anyways.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

>RyZen

>running XP

Who would even. They're getting drowned in the bathtub. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Does this really matter though? Microsoft doesn't support older OSes on Ryzen anyways.

you can run XP in a VM and there a valid reasons why people / businesses would do that - pointed out in the OP

So can we agree now that AMD launched a beta product?

Or do you guys still need more proof?

P.S. I know everyone is going to start the hate because AMD delivered a good performer. Yeah yeah yeah, that's not the issue. So start with that.

12 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>RyZen

>running XP

Who would even. They're getting drowned in the bathtub. 

VMs are a thing though. Imagine the chaos if AMD were selling server CPUs to farms running VM clusters?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

VMs are a thing though. Imagine the chaos if AMD were selling server CPUs to farms running VM clusters?

Hilarious. 

Doesn't matter what they're doing. Fancy new processor on old XP means you're having a date with the bathtub. Server guys it's a different story. 

Some nerd should pass though and scream "Linux!" though. Any minute...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Hilarious. 

Doesn't matter what they're doing. Fancy new processor on old XP means you're having a date with the bathtub. Server guys it's a different story. 

LINUX!

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Who would even run a Ryzen CPU on such an old OS?

10 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

P.S. I know everyone is going to start the hate because AMD delivered a good performer. Yeah yeah yeah, that's not the issue. So start with that.

Like Haswell was a beta product? 

Erratas exists on all CPU's. Why do you think Intel's pro CPU's are an architecture generation behind the mainstream?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

if you run Linux and want to run Windows in a VM you're still affected

so, it doesn't matter

33 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what does it mean for the end-user?

if the end user tries to run XP / WS2003 and earlier OSes, the system will either crash or hang - this affects both direct installs or through a VM

That's not a problem, that's a security feature

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's not a problem, that's a security feature

you can still run offline ;)

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

Pentium and FDIV.  Was that a beta product?

Bugs exist in everything, the key concern is how much of an issue the bug causes and whether it can be fixed.  The former isn't going to affect very many people, because not many are running XP VM's on their machine.  Yeah, some do.  I'm not arguing that.  I am arguing that the number is minuscule enough that it's not worth freaking out over.

As for the fix, there's already a workaround for the bug, and we'll just have to wait and see what AMD does in regards to a proper fix, if anything.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:37 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

Hilarious. 

LINUX /s

It's actually quite a big deal .

Obviously there's the issues with older OS's , but any old/poorly written code that makes use of this instruction could have issues . 

And that may not always be obvious . OG code could have been written during the DOS era and modified into something completely different over the years; if it still relies on that legacy instruction anywhere in the code ,  it breaks .

On 5/13/2017 at 0:29 PM, Darth Revan said:

Almost every new cpu architecture made by intel or AMD has had stuff like this happen . 

Intel had issues with broadwell/haswell (TSX ) and skylake  (AVX) , and AMD had the aforementioned ryzen bugs ( FMA3 , VME ) and had the TLB bug with the OG phenom .

Like always , it'll be patched with a bios /microcode update .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

X99? To be fair, AMD is no worse than intel :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Well they don't support older OSs so be it VM or not heh. But fix will come no.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Doesn't Ryzen also have problem with running Hyper-V in general?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Man we should look at how well Intel released X99 and how stable....oh wait! It wasn't stable. That too was a buggy piece of shit originally. 

24 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Man we should look at how well Intel released X99 and how stable....oh wait! It wasn't stable. That too was a buggy piece of shit originally. 

Shhhh that doesn't count man neither does the other countless problems intel's had over the years with their new architectures.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Shhhh that doesn't count man neither does the other countless problems intel's had over the years with their new architectures.

Sorry! I'll shut up now

16 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

18424035_10212927358008518_4969573293341514733_n.jpg.1a68f29dd96d4897c6ea3fd8572c07fe.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

20 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Almost every new cpu architecture made by intel or AMD has had stuff like this happen . 

Intel had issues with broadwell/haswell (TSX ) and skylake  (AVX) , and AMD had the aforementioned ryzen bugs ( FMA3 , VME ) and had the TLB bug with the OG phenom .

Like always , it'll be patched with a bios /microcode update .

And I think everybody wants to forget the mess that was the LGA 1155 P67 launch with south-bridges killing SATA ports that led to a massive recall.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II