Google Maps is now using street view to show users where to make turns when giving a set of directions

In a small update Google has release for Google Maps for android, when displaying a set of instructions Users can now get a street view of every road your supposed to turn on to.

In a quote from the Verge: "It’s a small change, but it could make a difference at confusing intersections or for people (like me) who are very bad with street names. The change was spotted by Android Police."

The function only displays thumbnails to tap into and it not quite something to use in a car. For now, Its only available for Android but iOS should get it soon.

Original Article from the Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/12/15629756/google-maps-street-view-directions-ui-change

maps.jpg

That's actually pretty useful, I know of some pretty crazy intersections that would be really confusing for someone going through them for a first time.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I almost feel as though this was already a thing. But then I use google maps so rarely I barely know what it even does.

Fix for night theme users, pls. 

Shame that it's just thumbs that you have to click on to see. It would be cool if it showed you a picture in navigation mode, like when you are coming up to a turn in a 100m and she says "In 100 meters turn right", you get a picture of that intersection while she is talking.

Yes! Great! Now you get to look at your phone instead of the road... and then when the road layout changed and the image isn't right, instead of using logic to look at the sign and figure it out, you try and find a comparison match with the road presented, and by the time you realize anything, you have fallen into a mass accident.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes! Great! Now you get to look at your phone instead of the road... and then when the road layout changed and the image isn't right, instead of using logic to look at the sign and figure it out, you try and find a comparison match with the road presented, and by the time you realize anything, you have fallen into a mass accident.

Hey man, it's a feature, no need to be so negative about it. If you are such a good driver you indirectly claim to be, then you need no gMaps, don't bother bashing on those who use it.

No one said anyone in their right mind should spend more then 0.5s looking at that photo while driving, aka equivalent  to time you spend on checking each of your mirrors  when using blinkers. And if you are not sure, there are this things called brakes. You push on the pedal so your car slows down, or comes to a stop. If you are not capable of taking a quick glimpse, take an Uber, how did you even pass on blinker checks for license. Many times people have passengers that can help them out, this would especially be helpful in a foreign country. And many times you wan't even need it, cause it will be obvious where you should turn, no other intersection in sight.

Of course it's not gonna be perfect. Every system has flaws. But road change isn't that often. It's not like roads and highways pop up or get removed daily from crowded places like cities or cross-country highways. If you are trying to make a turn based on the input from the screen, but instead of the road there is a liqueur store there, and you still turn right/left, once again - take an Uber, spare everyone else in traffic, you don't know to drive. 

Best regards.

holy shit yes

because im a idiot who can't follow directions, seriously.. :P 

-

i wonder how much data this'll take.. here in the 'modern but not as modern' society known as canada, data limits are still a thing, and its <5gb usually per person

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:55 AM, GoodBytes said:

you can get those thingys that attach to your windshield and you can put your phone on it and then you can glance at it. or you can look through all of them beforehand

On 5/13/2017 at 9:55 AM, GoodBytes said:

The function only displays thumbnails to tap into and it not quite something to use in a car.

It doesn't seem like you use it while driving. You can look at the images before leaving.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I guess we're only a few upgrades away from "Just get your fucking hands off you dirty Ape I'll fucking get us there"

When I use the GPS, I try to only use it as a guide as sometimes it can get "confused" and lead me in the wrong direction when you have multiple turnoffs on the highway, or sometimes it'll tell me I've reached the destination when I still have a few hundred feet left. 

But unfortunately, we're coming closer to a Wall-E world, and I know that comparison has been used so many times, but it's also extremely apt as eventually we'll become so lazy that we can't do anything for ourselves. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:58 AM, ElfFriend said:

I almost feel as though this was already a thing. But then I use google maps so rarely I barely know what it even does.

For Garmin and Tomtom, it was. It's not actual pictures of the roads, but a basic rendering that is kept up to date (so long as you keep up to date as well) fairly well. Garmin has the most up to date info on some of Idaho's roads that get changed every fucking year.

I don't see Google keeping their version up to date. Hell, I expect that the best Google will do is 5 years behind new development, for this feature specifically

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When I use the GPS, I try to only use it as a guide as sometimes it can get "confused" and lead me in the wrong direction when you have multiple turnoffs on the highway, or sometimes it'll tell me I've reached the destination when I still have a few hundred feet left. 

But unfortunately, we're coming closer to a Wall-E world, and I know that comparison has been used so many times, but it's also extremely apt as eventually we'll become so lazy that we can't do anything for ourselves. 

Reminds me of this:

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like the idea.

Most intersections and such are easy enough to figure out but there have been some intersections on city streets and on the highways that are pretty messed up or close enough together that you can be unsure exactly which turn to take.