Alienware 15r3 and Predator X34 (Nvidia display settings are not available)

Hey there guys,

I'm hoping that one of you techsperts can help with an issue that I'm facing.

I've got a 1070 in an Alienware 15 R3 hooked up to my Predator X34 via the USB-C/Thunderbolt to Display port.

I've updated all of my drivers (and tried rolling back to the previous ones too) via GeForce Experience

Tried Single monitor and Extended display

Tried updating Alienware specific drivers -  their driver update utility said there were no update, but a visit to http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/91VFYF2/drivers said otherwise.

Basically, all I'm trying to do is ensure that I can benefit from the G-Sync on the X34. I've already managed to overclock it to 100hz. But I can't access the control panel and I'm stuck.

Let me also mention that I'm able to use the monitor just fine. I can set the settings to any resolution and already set to 100hz from the display properties.

Any ideas?

Update in case you find this thread:

The USB C/ TB port won't work. It will rely on integrated graphics. So if you've got a gaming monitor and need GSync use the Mini displayport (Gsync wont work with HDMI either).

yes indeed, plugged into the power and also plugged into the monitor via USB-C port / Thunderbolt, to the display port in the monitor.

Just found this thread 

It seems to be that with the R2 at least. The alienware would not switch to the graphics card via Thunderbolt / USB C.

Which, if it's the same case with the R3, means that either 1- I need to find a solution to force it to switch to the graphics card or 2- Stick to HDMI, which means that enjoying GSync and the higher refresh rates will not be possible. (and if so, I'm not sure I can call the Alienware 15 R3 a real gamers laptop)

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the integrated graphics handle TB3 when in auto select mode?  

Try switching to using dedicated graphics ONLY.  That might override the problem if I am correct.

Also, the USB-C port on the left side of the laptop does not support TB3, only the rear one does.

3 hours ago, amnesia said:

Basically, all I'm trying to do is ensure that I can benefit from the G-Sync on the X34. I've already managed to overclock it to 100hz. But I can't access the control panel and I'm stuck.

wat do you mean you can't access the control panel?????? What happens when you click nvidia control panel??????

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

11 hours ago, Pendragon said:

wat do you mean you can't access the control panel?????? What happens when you click nvidia control panel??????

It gives me a pop up that says "VIDIA Settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"

13 hours ago, Belzebuth said:

Hey, can't you use the miniDP on the laptop ?

That's indeed an option. I'll just have to go buy one and try that out.

11 hours ago, lilbman said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the integrated graphics handle TB3 when in auto select mode?  

Try switching to using dedicated graphics ONLY.  That might override the problem if I am correct.

Also, the USB-C port on the left side of the laptop does not support TB3, only the rear one does.

Yes indeed, I'm using the one on the rear. Do you mean by going in to intels display properties and just changing 3D to maximum performance? Or is there a specific way?

11 hours ago, lilbman said:

You're wrong. Optimus runs off the iGPU ONLY. The dGPU is a pure number cruncher. External ports are either connected to the iGPU or the dGPU, and as far as I know, a MUX switch won't even change the external ports either. If his ports are using the iGPU, then they'll forever be using the iGPU. Forcing dedicated graphics only on an Optimus system without a MUX switch doesn't do a lick of anything either.

25 minutes ago, amnesia said:

It gives me a pop up that says "VIDIA Settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"

That's indeed an option. I'll just have to go buy one and try that out.

Yes indeed, I'm using the one on the rear. Do you mean by going in to intels display properties and just changing 3D to maximum performance? Or is there a specific way?

Probably because the port is running from the iGPU, and you'll never get that port to run off the nVidia GPU.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

6 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

You're wrong. Optimus runs off the iGPU ONLY. The dGPU is a pure number cruncher. External ports are either connected to the iGPU or the dGPU, and as far as I know, a MUX switch won't even change the external ports either. If his ports are using the iGPU, then they'll forever be using the iGPU. Forcing dedicated graphics only on an Optimus system without a MUX switch doesn't do a lick of anything either.

Probably because the port is running from the iGPU, and you'll never get that port to run off the nVidia GPU.

I guess it's right then that the TB3 / USB C port won't work with the X34. I'll have to get a mini DP to DP cable and try through that.

58 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

You're wrong.

I thought I was.  Thank you for explaining why, I know better now.  I guess I was partially right, as integrated graphics handles the USB-C/TB3 ports.

@amnesiaI did some research and looked through the NVIDIA Control Panel, and it appears that the dGPU handles externals displays through mini DP and the HDMI Port and everything else is handled by the iGPU.  You'll have to get an adapter from mDP to DP.

Just now, lilbman said:

I guess I was partially right, as integrated graphics handles the USB-C/TB3 ports.

I did some research and looked through the NVIDIA Control Panel, and it appears that the dGPU handles externals displays through mini DP and the HDMI Port.  You'll have to get an adapter.

These are all laptop dependent. For example I don't have iGPU access on my laptop, but I have USB C/TB3. They're not linked to the iGPU, because that's hardware-disabled (I can't even turn it on).

Clevo BGA and MSI tie the external ports to the dGPU (in fact MSI has been doing it longest). Previous gens like the Clevo P170SM-A did not; they all ran from the iGPU, making high refresh external monitors pointless as well as gsync/freesync useless.

I don't know how the ports are exactly on the AW15 R3.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just wanted to mention I got an email from Alienware telling me their Thunderbolt connection supports Integrated Graphics only.

Anyway, it's a good thing to note for any users who buy one in the future :)

8 hours ago, D2ultima said:

These are all laptop dependent. For example I don't have iGPU access on my laptop, but I have USB C/TB3. They're not linked to the iGPU, because that's hardware-disabled (I can't even turn it on).

Clevo BGA and MSI tie the external ports to the dGPU (in fact MSI has been doing it longest). Previous gens like the Clevo P170SM-A did not; they all ran from the iGPU, making high refresh external monitors pointless as well as gsync/freesync useless.

I don't know how the ports are exactly on the AW15 R3.

I myself have an AW15 R3, and I connect it to an external monitor daily, though not a gaming monitor.  Like you said, it varies from machine to machine, or from manufacturer to manufacturer.  

Just now, lilbman said:

I myself have an AW15 R3, and I connect it to an external monitor daily, though not a gaming monitor.  Like you said, it varies from machine to machine, or from manufacturer to manufacturer.  

Some of the AW15 and AW17 machines have a MUX, some have plain dGPU for gsync, some have optimus only. The machines are all fucked up.

2 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Some of the AW15 and AW17 machines have a MUX, some have plain dGPU for gsync, some have optimus only. The machines are all fucked up.

Oh yeah..he never specified if he got a G-Sync panel on his. @amnesia do you have a G-Sync panel?  I have a 60Hz panel for battery life, so the layout is possibly different.

23 hours ago, D2ultima said:

^ this. It's actually cancer. 

21 hours ago, lilbman said:

Oh yeah..he never specified if he got a G-Sync panel on his. @amnesia do you have a G-Sync panel?  I have a 60Hz panel for battery life, so the layout is possibly different.

Even if you don't spec GSync, there are possibilities that you get a Gsync motherboard. As far as I know, all currently in production Alienware 15R3's use GSync motherboards. 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:52 PM, amnesia said:

I've got a 1070 in an Alienware 15 R3 hooked up to my Predator X34 via the USB-C/Thunderbolt to Display port.

Get Dell to troubleshoot it for you. They can remote in. And RMA it if necessary. Can't really tell you what's wrong cause there are way too many variations of the AW15R3. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p